News   May 14, 2024
 172     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 315     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Like I said before: Who cares if clubs were formerly restricted? I don't even care if clubs are guys-only or women-only. Would the city have any issue with me (should I run for office) because I'm in the Junior League or because I went to BSS (actually, some people might - to many, BSS screams "spoiled, privileged brat")?

Removing the Gardiner will cause A LOT of traffic headaches (as we probably know already). Probably why the three majors were not in favour.

I suppose Mayor Troy wouldn't have problems operating in the Clamshell, given how he's had experience living somewhere similar

tumblr_l5k55buxZN1qc63sno1_500.png

I know that when Mayor Nenshi came to speak in Toronto that he was fond of the concept behind Uber, but against Uber itself for a variety of reasons.

But like Videodrome I have not experience with it so I can't comment.

Uber was in the news yesterday because one of its top executives was caught saying that they might just hire some private investigators to dig up the dirt of a journalist who has been critical of their operation. Especially concerning to many people attentive to privacy issues because Uber would have access to data on its users' comings and goings.

A company like this may seem an upstart, but it has been capitalized by extremely wealthy people, masters of the universe, while the taxi companies are owned and financed by smaller more local players. We may think Tory old and stodgy, but it is not completely surprising that someone who has sat on the Rogers board and on the board of a communications company owned by Paul Allen would favour the sandbox of venture capitalists. If formerly bread and butter industries can be converted by the magic of technology into assets that can be controlled by media companies, it's good for John Tory and the friends of John Tory.

Last edited:
Only to those who didn't read the EA.

Hear hear.

I haven't used Uber myself either, but I have heard from others that they were quite satisfied. I think the key part of Tory's statement though is "It is time our regulatory system got in line with evolving consumer demands in the 21st century." That, to me, suggests that there are changes to the taxi bylaws up Tory's sleeve. They will favour Uber, but I am sure it will impose some requirements on them too.

I was a regular Hailo user before it shut down, and would have stuck with them had they not ceased operations in North America. I have yet to use Uber, but glad there is still another option. Once you switch to these apps, you will never want to go back to the old way. The taxi industry is lobbying hard to stop these apps because they offer much better service than the traditional cab cartels that operate here. They know that they risk losing a lot of money.

I'd have more sympathy for them if I had a better experience with them in the first place, but I don't. Uber will always be my first choice.

Last edited:
Same, used Hailo before they withdrew from the TO market. My issues with Uber isn't the concept - but the ethical behaviour of the company itself, which I consider as exploitative (not to say that existing taxicab operators aren't doing the same thing to their drivers either)

The whole system really should be razed to the ground.

AoD

Back