News   Jul 15, 2024
 723     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 882     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 625     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Head of Canadian Olympic Committee wants Toronto to host 2024 Summer Games
Toronto Mayor John Tory has said officials will weigh the pros and cons as soon as the Pan Am Games wrap up. The cost of bidding, as well as staging the Olympics, is among the concerns.

Several published reports have estimated a bid would cost at least $50 million and a source confirmed that figure to The Canadian Press.

Tory also stressed that he doesn’t want to lead the city into another rejection.
http://www.citynews.ca/2015/07/25/h...ttee-wants-toronto-to-host-2024-summer-games/

As I mention in another thread. We should have gone with the ICTS upgrade and expansion, we might not like technology, but at least we would have something done by now, instead of ten years of back and forth of fighting over a LRT or Subway that doesn't seem to end.

There some who agreed with you 9 years ago, but they were shut out of the debate when the power brokers decided to go all LRT. The question is, what is the best thing to do now.

Politically, I could see Council switching their support - because they only care about their own Wards. Only 1 vote out of 45 actually cares about the entire City, plus the votes from Scarborough itself still barely make up 25% of the votes. Tory has not invested much into this debate - essentially saying that he is just going with the previous decision. He could easily say that SmartTrack would compensate for the loss of subway and move the decision over to the province.

It is Wynne, however, who cannot allow the subway to die. She used every trick in the book to discredit the LRT back in 2012 and 2013 so that she could win her one Scarborough by-election - and eventually the majority. If the subway gets killed, she is bound to lose support in Scarborough. Her only chance would be bring back the connected SRT and Eglinton LRT - and use some of the $ savings to build the Sheppard subway.

Technically, the Mark II could still be done. The connected SRT and Eglinton line could also be done - probably and extra $500M to elevate the line, plus maybe $100M to tear up 500m of tunnel (tunnel that has yet to be built, but since the launch shaft is set, it is the only option to keep the timing reasonable) and shift it south - plus add maybe 20% since a change is required to the just signed contract. (As long as they haven't built the headwalls for the cross-over east of Laird - they can save maybe $30M by relocating the crossover to at-grade on the south side of Eglinton west of Don Mills.)

Even though this connected transit route still appears to be the best way to save about $1B, politically a lot of questions may get asked that the government does not want to answer.

Last edited:
i didn't know the detail before reading this...
For a Toronto Olympic bid to proceed, the city must send a letter signed by Mayor John Tory and Aubut to the International Olympic Committee indicating interest by Sept. 15. By Jan. 8, 2016, a full package, including support from city council and the federal and provincial governments, would have to go to the IOC.

Last year, a Toronto city council committee rejected the idea of even studying a 2024 Olympic bid. The next scheduled city council meeting is not until Sept. 30. So to make the Sept. 15 deadline, Tory would have to, in effect, ignore that vote, sign the letter and bring the matter to council later in the fall.
http://news.nationalpost.com/toront...didacy-drowns-out-pan-am-games-on-closing-day

I may be wrong, but did the Fords ever explicitly address this issue? Seems to me that they were more about patching up holes or kicking out bureaucracy than kicking out tenants. (Of course, a lot of that "illegal activity" might have been of the sort that, uh, "served" the Fords.)

Well, how could he - where would he procure his needs otherwise? In any case, optics and after dinner speeches is more important than actual policy work anyways.

In any case, I am glad they are finally looking at these policy changes - I am of the mind that kicking and keeping these problem tenants out to make life bearable for the rest outweighs any social justice-y arguments about fairness. Now of course the problem will crop up elsewhere - but I think the public housing provider has, above all, a duty to ensure tenants live a safe, crime free environment - far more than serving as a provider for last resorts who frankly don't belong there.

AoD

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but did the Fords ever explicitly address this issue? Seems to me that they were more about patching up holes or kicking out bureaucracy than kicking out tenants. (Of course, a lot of that "illegal activity" might have been of the sort that, uh, "served" the Fords.)

No, the Fords did nothing but beat their breasts. They did turn a blind eye to Jones when making his own rules which lead to his "resignation".

John Tory announces restoration of 33 bus routes cut under Rob Ford
"These service improvements are a reversal of the off-peak service cuts that were made under the previous administration," said Tory, calling the service cuts "deliberate" on Ford's part.

The bus routes were a subject of contention during the mayoral race. At the time, Tory said he wanted to resume full service on 41 routes during off-peak, night and weekend hours.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...of-33-bus-routes-cut-under-rob-ford-1.3169614

Majority supports olympic bid
In a random sampling of public opinion taken by the Forum Poll™ among 755 Toronto voters, the clear majority, about 6-in-10, would support a bid to hold the 2024 Olympic Games (61%). Three-in-ten would oppose this bid (30%) and one tenth don’t form an opinion (9%).
[...]
More than one half of voters will cast a ballot for a councillor who supports an Olympic bid (52%), while half this proportion say they will not (26%).
http://poll.forumresearch.com/post/326/bid-support-wont-hurt-councillors/

Back