News   Jul 15, 2024
 729     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 890     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 626     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat
"It's only 6:30 p.m." Speaker Frances Nunziata as council wraps up its agenda in less than 2 days #TOpoli

Jennifer Pagliaro @jpags
Despite that Ford hiccup, council has completed their agenda. Nunziata asks if there is anything else to do in the next hour and a half.

With Tory as mayor, council doesn't take a week, despite Ford's best efforts.

Cllr Josh Matlow gives Speaker Frances Nunziata kudos for her work over the last 2 days #TOpoli
Jennifer Pagliaro @jpags
Councillor Matlow on feet to applaud Nunziata in role as Speaker. Her re-appointment was questioned by many on council. They applaud now.

"Nothing to say on that" John Tory to @CP24 on Rob Ford being kicked out of council. "Going down" City Hall elevator he was stepping into

I like this. He goes about his business.

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat · 38m 38 minutes ago
Today at #Toronto City Hall - Mayor John Tory is out at Toronto Zoo to say goodbye to Humphrey the polar bear (he's off to Winnipeg) #TOpoli

Shocking news!

That's an amusing line of logic as I cannot figure out how reduced congestion on subway platforms does away with suicidal folk causing extended delays in the subway (worse if you consider the TRs that can't be detached) or garbage falling onto tracks and starting fires.

Wouldn't reduced congestion on platforms make it easier for suicidal people to get to the edge of the platform?

Anyone else hear Tory's speech at the end of council? After Matlow stood to commend Nunziata on how she handled the last 2 days, Tory stood and spoke about how the council process is broken. One point that he mentioned was the Members' Motions.

If you're not familiar with council, these are motions that are introduced the day of council, rather than being introduced at committee. Some of them are time sensitive items that can't wait for the next committee meeting. This month there were 39 motions and I'm sure that not all of them needed to be there (this month was a light agenda; at some meetings, there have been over 100 members' motions). In fact, Cllr Davis admitted hers was there because she missed the deadline for committee.

Each Member's Motion has to have a recorded vote to waive referral to committee...essentially council giving permission to add it to the agenda. After lunch yesterday, they spent almost an hour voting to waive referrals on MMs. and I don't know how much time the previous day. So just based on that point, I can see where there is room for improvement.

Interesting to now have a mayor that is interested in improving the system (whether it will work on not is different story), rather than someone that hasn't even bothered to learn the rules of the system so wouldn't know if it was broken or not.

So I can see how Tory would feel this system isn't working.

Wouldn't reduced congestion on platforms make it easier for suicidal people to get to the edge of the platform?

Platform edge doors have other benefits such as preventing someone from accidentally falling onto the tracks when the platform is overcrowded. This is what Karygiannis was focused on when he came up with his silly idea to reduce platform congestion, in an attempt to dismiss the need for platform edge doors.

Last edited:
CityNews Toronto ‏@CityNews 4m4 minutes ago
Tory: Aiming for 2% savings in all city divisions, agencies. Will yield ~$80M by end 2015. Most changes reflected in 2016 budget #TOpoli

Seems reasonable.

Anyone else hear Tory's speech at the end of council? After Matlow stood to commend Nunziata on how she handled the last 2 days, Tory stood and spoke about how the council process is broken. One point that he mentioned was the Members' Motions.

If you're not familiar with council, these are motions that are introduced the day of council, rather than being introduced at committee. Some of them are time sensitive items that can't wait for the next committee meeting. This month there were 39 motions and I'm sure that not all of them needed to be there (this month was a light agenda; at some meetings, there have been over 100 members' motions). In fact, Cllr Davis admitted hers was there because she missed the deadline for committee.

Each Member's Motion has to have a recorded vote to waive referral to committee...essentially council giving permission to add it to the agenda. After lunch yesterday, they spent almost an hour voting to waive referrals on MMs. and I don't know how much time the previous day. So just based on that point, I can see where there is room for improvement.

Interesting to now have a mayor that is interested in improving the system (whether it will work on not is different story), rather than someone that hasn't even bothered to learn the rules of the system so wouldn't know if it was broken or not.

So I can see how Tory would feel this system isn't working.

I think this is a benefit to someone coming in without previous council experience. Someone who was a councillor before might have just taken it as normal.

Taxes in Toronto are already really low, but I guess Tory feel that he risks becoming really unpopular if he dares to raise them, even just a little. I don't mind paying more taxes if it means getting more in return.

Last edited:
Taxes in Toronto are already really low, but I guess Tory feel that he risks becoming really unpopular if he dares to raise them, even just a little. I don't mind paying more taxes if it means getting more in return.

Tory does not seem the type that is concerned with popularity. He promised to keep taxes within line of the inflation rate and I am sure he realizes with the employment situation as it is, large mortgages people are carrying, that raising property taxes higher was not the way to go.

Back