193     0 
News   May 23, 2024
 418     0 
News   May 23, 2024
 673     0 

Maple Leaf Gardens renovations delayed

Photo13.jpg

Photo14.jpg

Thanks for posting that wyliepoon. It's frightening to see what could have been.

Just put up a plaque and tear it all down. Ironically, a club just down the street is called "The Barn". Well, maybe they should save somethung, ala Pittsburgh Pirates' Forbes Field.

"A bronze plaque indicates the portion over which Mazeroski's 1960 blast traveled. Home plate is preserved under plexiglas in a hallway in Posvar Hall, which occupies much of the site; however, it is a metre or two away from its original location, currently occupied by a women's restroom. On every October 13th (the anniversary of Game 7 of the 1960 World Series), local fans gather at the site and listen to a tape of the broadcast. Many diehard Pirates fans view this as one of the greatest moments in Bucs history. The portions of the wall that still stand are also still covered in the same ivy that decorated its left and center field walls for decades."

... Just dont turn Maple Leaf Gardens into Montreal's Pepsi Forum - basically a Toronto Life Square-style shopping arcade with movie theatre anchor.

The first condo development to offer an indoor skating rink as an ammenity!

Not what I'm looking for, but I'd take it over pet-grooming facilities...

I happened to walk by on my way home today and I was mindful of taking time to glimpse in as I passed. Looking inside through upper glass and lit areas it's very evident that sections of ceilings and walls are damaged and dropping. I presume water damage to plaster walls/ceilings. I'm not suggesting there's major damage, but a few of years of neglect is beginning to show. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I have a really bad feeling about this building.

Further shameful evidence if anyone needed it that Loblaws is neglecting MLG (the torn Canadian flags blowing in the wind).

It's also wetter under the Carlton Street marquee than on unprotected sidewalk.

PICT1163.jpg

PICT1233.jpg

Seeing what Paris did with the Musee d'Orsay and what London did with the Tate Modern, one can only wish...

The problem with that idea is that the limited number of Canada's super rich have already donated their millions of dollars to existing museums and galleries. Dont expect any new large scale museums or galleries to open any time soon. Even the Museum of Toronto seems to have trouble coming to fruition.

Perhaps Loblaws could bring PenEquity in to redesign and convert the interior into viable commercial space. What could possibly go wrong? ;)

jdot: First of all, there is lots of money out there, and money is being made everyday. As of 2001, 1% of the country was millionaires, while that is expected to triple by 2010. Last year there were 23 Canadian billionaires. Hell, one of them is trying to buy the Maple Leafs right now, and prior to this he was virtually unknown. So if we need rich people to donate, I'm sure they can be found.

However, who says you need rich people to donate? The French government spends about €3billion per year on the arts. Has Canada even invested that much over the last 50 years? The fact is that art is an investment that creates a number of benefits for cities. Considering tourism is the fastest growing sector in the world, it only makes sense for our government to invest more in creating venues that will attract people from all over. Unfortunately, tourism is an afterthought in this country. We really could take a page from the French book because investing in this type of stuff really does pay off.

What would have been nice if Maple Leaf Gdns was expropriated and purchased by Ryerson as part of their Master Plan. There could be lots of potential for this site to become a state of the art mutli use facility.

Back