News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Maple Leaf Gardens renovations delayed

FutureMayor

Member Bio
Reaction score
Maple Leaf Gardens renovations delayed: CTV
toronto.ctv.ca

The renovation of Maple Leaf Gardens has been delayed by at least four-to-six months because of the financial situation of the company that owns it, CTV News has learned.

Profits for Loblaw Companies Inc. were down 20 per cent in the third quarter, which has affected the plans for the iconic building, CTV's Tom Hayes reports.

Early this year, Loblaw officials said construction and the gutting of the Carlton Street arena were to have begun in the summer. They also projected to re-open the building by the summer of 2009.

The plans call for the Gardens to be transformed into a grocery store, double-deck parking garage and a museum in the lobby that will feature hockey memorabilia.

Loblaw officials refused an on-camera interview to discuss the current timeline for the project.

It has been almost nine years since the Maple Leafs vacated the historic arena in 1999. Earlier this year, CTV News had a sneak peek inside.

The Gardens appeared frozen in time and in a state of slow decay, looking battered and littered with garbage and dead rodents.

Residents in the area told CTV News they were hoping to see more progress by now.

"Four-to-six months? From how many years?" joked Kevin Haynes, the manager of the pub located across the street.

Haynes wasn't surprised to hear of the latest delay, but noted he would like to see the mega grocery store come sooner.

"I'm sure it would mean business," he said.

Louroz

What's crazy about this is the city put in street lights on Carleton a couple of years ago now for Loblaws parking. What was the rush?

What's crazy about this is the city put in street lights on Carleton a couple of years ago now for Loblaws parking. What was the rush?

And at Church & Wood Streets

They put them in at the same time as reconstructing the streetcar tracks along Carlton so they wouldn't have to rip up the street again once the store opened. If you notice the tracks along this section, they widen up in order to create a turning lane in between the two tracks so that turning vehicles into the MLG wall/future parking lot won't block streetcars. Either way, it's been good now to have the midblock crossing, especially since it is hard to legally jaywalk when you can't really see around the corner towards Yonge for speeding cars.

But the fact the city went ahead and did this shows how badly Loblaws has fumbled on this project.. if the city gets its act together before you? that's a sign of bad management ;)

It's funny, because since MLG was bought, Loblaws opened a whole bunch of Superstores, like those in Brampton, Milton and coming soon in Scarborough Centre. Why MLG itself is delayed for so long compared to others is strange.

Though if Loblaws builds the sucker, and then it folds, I'm sure someone else would be happy to take it over. IKEA, or Home Depot, but I think the Westons would be a tad more sympathetic to MLG than most retailers.

I can't remember the last time I saw a building go up as slowly as the superstore @ STC...2 years now, is it?

Anyway, the MLG delay means the option of relocating the Hall of Fame here isn't dead yet. Perfect place for it.

They put them in at the same time as reconstructing the streetcar tracks along Carlton so they wouldn't have to rip up the street again once the store opened. If you notice the tracks along this section, they widen up in order to create a turning lane in between the two tracks so that turning vehicles into the MLG wall/future parking lot won't block streetcars. Either way, it's been good now to have the midblock crossing, especially since it is hard to legally jaywalk when you can't really see around the corner towards Yonge for speeding cars.

But the fact the city went ahead and did this shows how badly Loblaws has fumbled on this project.. if the city gets its act together before you? that's a sign of bad management ;)

oh so THAT'S why the streetcar lanes widen, had no idea up until now but have been supercurious! the midblock crossing is also pretty handy, i live right outside of it and see a good amount of people using it...although a lot of people still jaywalk, especially at night but who doesn't...grossly overweight and old people?

Only in Canada would we need to propose something so unlikely to help preserve a heritage site. Just tear the whole thing down... its an eye sore. I always thought the plan to turn MLG into anything resembling a grocery store was sort of corny. Not that the area couldnt use one... just start from scratch though. Or alternatively, use the main structure as a podium for twin condos and call it Maple Leaf Square... hmm why does that sound familiar?:D

if the structural problems include the roof, it might HAVE to come down. then they would use the shell either to build a new store or condos. they should just gut it out now and rebuild the structural supports.

Back