News   Apr 26, 2024
 647     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 231     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 714     0 

Lost Road: Indian Line Road

Great thread. I've always wondered what the road on the Clairville dam led too. Thanks for the info!

BTW, what purpose does the dam serve? Is it for watering systems? Or do they generate power with it. I can't imagine much power coming from that dam.

I remember finding a website that talked about the lost roads of toronto/ontario, I wish I could remember what the url was. Lots of useful information there.

Great thread. I've always wondered what the road on the Clairville dam led too. Thanks for the info!

BTW, what purpose does the dam serve? Is it for watering systems? Or do they generate power with it. I can't imagine much power coming from that dam.

I remember finding a website that talked about the lost roads of toronto/ontario, I wish I could remember what the url was. Lots of useful information there.

Glad you liked it. :) I don't think it generates power; there's not much flow. I think it's a flood control structure and a reservoir facility, but that's a guess.

Sure, dangle THAT in front of us and not remember! :D

I think it's a flood control structure and a reservoir facility, but that's a guess.

I'm guessing as well but probably just like G Lord Ross dam in North York. A flood control structure built in response to Hurricane Hazel.

I'm guessing as well but probably just like G Lord Ross dam in North York. A flood control structure built in response to Hurricane Hazel.

That makes sense. I know from the photos I have it was constructed in the early 1960s, so well within the psychological wake of Hazel, with the usual necessary bureaucratic hurry-up-and-wait time thrown in. :)

I've done my own searching to find this site. Dave Till covers a few lost roads in his blog but nothing in depth.

Maybe some of the older board members can help me out here. I remember reading about one particular street in and around the 427/27 area that had been lost to the construction of the 427 expressway. Does this ring a bell with anyone? It could very well be the same Indian line, but I don't think so. If we could come up with the name of that street it might help focus my searches.

I remember reading about one particular street in and around the 427/27 area that had been lost to the construction of the 427 expressway. Does this ring a bell with anyone? It could very well be the same Indian line, but I don't think so. If we could come up with the name of that street it might help focus my searches.

It isn't Brown's Line, is it?

It isn't Brown's Line, is it?

North of the 401, Brown's Line took the path of the current Highway 27. I'm not sure what other street was lost in the construction of the 427 above the 401, other than Indian Line and Parts of Morning Star Drive.

South of the 401, there were the service roads, I believe called "Etobicoke" and "Municipal": they were basically obliterated when 27 became 427 and went express/collectors in the early 70s...

South of the 401, there were the service roads, I believe called "Etobicoke" and "Municipal": they were basically obliterated when 27 became 427 and went express/collectors in the early 70s...

Oh, kind of like the East Mall and West Mall in concept, it sounds. Interesting... I forgot about this; I wonder if I can find them on any of the old maps.

Where the East Mall directly abuts the 427 north of Rathburn, it follows the path of old Etobicoke Drive.

There are also bits and pieces of the old QEW service roads extant (Queen Elizabeth on the north, Oxford on the south)

I remember crossing the bridge by the dam - back in the day it was a single lane with a set of lights to alternate between allowing northbound and southbound traffic to cross.

I also remember swimming in the reservoir in the days before Wild Water Kingdom came along. And fishing at the base of the dam.

Back