London on the Esplanade Condos (Cityzen) - Real Estate -

March 28 2009 update

I dropped by the open house this weekend as well, was generally impressed by the finishing of the units ... however am sad to say the only units that are available at 'significant discounts' either look towards the courtyard between the two towers or look right in the the back wall of the theatre to the north (thats the 675 sq.ft. two bedroom unit for $300K on the 3rd floor)

yes the lobby was small, and probably unfinished at this time, but I did find the hallways very nicely done with the black doors and trim, which gave me a 'english hotel' feeling :)

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3623.jpg

We also went to the open house onthe weekend. Overall we were delighted with what we saw.
Anyone who has actually spent anytime at all traveling in the UK will pick up on a number of subtle design clues to give this building a sort of quasi London cosmopolitan feel. Solaris pointed out the hallway design being reminiscent of an English hotel. I totally agree. I picked up on that the second I stepped off the elavator. The front lobby, though obviously unfinished, and a little on the austere side, has a few design touches that made me smile. Take a look at WIIam's photo of the lobby looking out to the street. The effect of the white painted brick, centred revolving front door, dark window framing, and the view itself looking across the street reminds me of preparing to step out onto a downtown London street.
I even got a chuckle, when I peeked into the garbage chute room in the hallway. It was shiny white rectangular tiled like an English lavatory or something you would see on the walls of the London Tube. The building has several minor design touches throughout to suggest 'London'.
Now really. Was anybody really expecting more?? Bottom line. It's about marketing, folks. That there any design clues at at all is an amazement to me. I think the designers were pretty clever to accomplish what they did, and this project is not completed yet.
I have no regrets from what I have seen so far. I have been been able to reassure myself that I have gotten 'value' for my money.
I may appear biased as I have bought here, but anyone who has read a number of my posts knows this..I calls them exactly as I sees them.

I'm assuming the open house is an ongoing thing or was it just Saturday? Guess I'll give them a ring.

Common Areas

Has anyone who has occupied their suite had a chance to see the gym, the pool, etc., beyond what has been shown in the pictures here? If so, please post em!

My initial reaction is that the pool area is will rarely receive sunlight, since it's on the north end and appears to be at a second-story height, behind the elevated podium area (which is 4 stories tall).

I also looked back at the patio-area on the top of the podium (roof of the 4th story), and was wondering if anyone knows: is that entire area private property, i.e.: patio space for people who purchased in the towers on the 5th floor? Or are there areas (presumably in the middle, between the towers) that is communal? I think this is the only area that's going to get sun on a consistent basis.

Thanks for your help.

Price list attached. Note that the price does not include the discount. I find the larger discount ones have really bad views.

Thks for the price list TOBoy. I've often wondered about something. The price of an east facing 2 bedroom is in the $460s yet a similar 1B+den is 100k cheaper. Is there really that much difference between the two.

Looking to lease at 38 The esplanade

Hi

We are looking to lease a 2 bedroom or 1+1 in this building. Prefer units over 950 sq feet. Require for May 15.

Thanks

I think the prices are way too high for what I saw yesterday. Altough there were some things I liked (corridors, big windows, bathrooms, exterior) there were a number of things I didn't like. The layouts for some of the smaller suites were pretty crappy. Wasn't impressed with the kitchens...I really hate how the hardwood doesn't flow through to the kitchen. The east side view on the lower floors are absolutely awful...

I think the prices are way too high for what I saw yesterday. Altough there were some things I liked (corridors, big windows, bathrooms, exterior) there were a number of things I didn't like. The layouts for some of the smaller suites were pretty crappy. Wasn't impressed with the kitchens...I really hate how the hardwood doesn't flow through to the kitchen. The east side view on the lower floors are absolutely awful...

At this stage of the game you aint gettin pick of the litter.:D

Thks for the price list TOBoy. I've often wondered about something. The price of an east facing 2 bedroom is in the $460s yet a similar 1B+den is 100k cheaper. Is there really that much difference between the two.

thats because the 1B+D is a north facing unit on the 3rd floor, which means it will likely be looking right at the blank concrete (back) wall of St. Lawrence Centre ... pretty premium views :D

thats because the 1B+D is a north facing unit on the 3rd floor, which means it will likely be looking right at the blank concrete (back) wall of St. Lawrence Centre ... pretty premium views :D

I surprised they didn't charge extra. The marketing dept. would call that a "Privacy wall", wouldn't they?:p

Back