News   Jul 31, 2024
 485     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 645     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 503     0 

List of Miller policies to be reversed

I like the ferry. I think people who want a bridge just want to shove it in Miller and Vaughn's face, quite frankly. With the new ferry and terminal, what cost? What delay? The 4 minutes it takes to get on the ferry?

That is what I am thinking too. Most residents who support the bridge think it is going improve access to the islands, and provide an alternatie to the "awful unionized" ferries. Good luck pushing strollers across an active runway! I have used Porter a few times, and the ferry is quick. I would argue walking across a bridge, or god-forbid waiting for an eleator, then having to wak in a tunnel would be longer.

That is what I am thinking too. Most residents who support the bridge think it is going improve access to the islands, and provide an alternatie to the "awful unionized" ferries. Good luck pushing strollers across an active runway!
I don't know about what people think know, but it was pretty clear to me at the time (before Miller) that the bridge was effectively only meant for the airport.

I fully support the construction of two pedestrian and cyclist bridges to the island - one at the foot of Bathurst to the airport/Hanlan's Point, and one from Cherry beach to Ward's island. Surprisingly, Rob Ford's bike path network has these in his plan.

Absolutely no vehicular access should be allowed to the island though.

Pet licensing fee. Should go back to the way it was, if your dog is microchipped, plus spayed or neutered (as Bob Barker always said) there should be no charge, just a one time fee to register your dog. Cats shouldn't be licensed at all. Yes, I don't like those crazy cat ladies feeding all the strays in my area, but Toronto has hundreds of thousands of rats, thanks to the population boom during the garbage strike, so bring on the cats. How about a pied piper?

I don't see the big deal about the 5 cent shopping bag charge. Grocery and drug stores all over Ontario are charging it now. And they're going to keep charging it no matter what Ford does.
I was at a conference today where the VP of Marketing for Loblaws said no matter what, they're keeping the 5-cent charge nationwide. Apparently Loblaws has diverted more than 2 billion shopping bags nationwide with this program.

If Transit City could be totally canceled save for the underground portion of the Eglinton LRT, I'd be happy as could be. Building out Sheppard Subway and converting Scarborough RT as a subway extension would be fantastic to restart Toronto's true rapid transit network.

I'm still waiting for a response from Pam McConnell and Adam Vaughan with regards to their expectations for the Queens Quay revitalization in their wards now that Ford is Mayor but having done a little research around the funding for these projects, I expect it to go ahead unless Ford specifically targets it because it reduces vehicular traffic. Funding for WaterfrontToronto comes from the $1.5 Billion seed money fronted by the 3 levels of government.

Related but city funded projects like taking down the Gardiner east of Jarvis are definitely at risk. I expect this to be an issue dealt with by Toronto's next left leaning Mayor. It's ok, the East waterfront won't be completely developed until sometime in the next 20 years so there's time to rethink the Gardiner until then and Ford won't be around.

The City Hall revitalization could be in jeopardy. I've heard him list it as one example of 'wasteful spending' in a few of his debates. Apparently it made no sense to waste money on City Hall with the city in such deep financial trouble (apparently).

Whatever is happening now will probably be complete, with the rest shelved indefinitely.

Don't forget he campaigned as being the one to clean up the streets. The Queen St. forecourt is such a mess that one would think that finishing the work planned for it would qualify as keeping the city clean. The stage, water features, info & bike rental centre and restaurant are probably going to be blocked as they don't contribute to cleaning up the square. The good news is that the contract is already tendered for the stage. The fountains seem to be going in where the Peace Garden is being removed from. I suspect that'll still happen.

EDIT: I looked up the council voting record and Ford voted twice to reverse this project. NPS redevelopment is doomed. :(

Last edited:
Oh well. I still think NPS (yes I appreciate it as a 1950's architectural statement, but keep in mind the context of the 50s--dominated by the automobile, NPS and CH was designed for the car let's be honest) should be redeveloped into highrise office and condos.

TC is probably 50 years too soon--the suburbs need to focus on getting their built form/avenues/density in place first; trams or subways would come later. Even downtown where the streetcar is dominant, 95% of homeowners (and condo owners) own cars! Think I'm making this up? Get off the beaten path and walk down an average street--Delaware, Lisgar, Beverly, Palmerston, LV--many more car users than streetcar users!

ya you're right... what do I know? I only worked for Porter for 2 years.

Working for Porter and flying with Porter as a client are completely different.
I always travel with Porter and although i don't hate the ferry i would prefer a bridge connection. Same goes with every other colleague of mine that travels with porter regularly.

Don't forget he campaigned as being the one to clean up the streets. The Queen St. forecourt is such a mess that one would think that finishing the work planned for it would qualify as keeping the city clean. The stage, water features, info & bike rental centre and restaurant are probably going to be blocked as they don't contribute to cleaning up the square. The good news is that the contract is already tendered for the stage. The fountains seem to be going in where the Peace Garden is being removed from. I suspect that'll still happen.

EDIT: I looked up the council voting record and Ford voted twice to reverse this project. NPS redevelopment is doomed. :(
If there's one thing about the NPS revitalization that I wouldn't mind being cancelled it's the new fountains. NPS already has a water feature, it doesn't need another one. That part of the square can just be an open area. That said, I don't think the NPS project is doomed at all. It's one of many issues Ford is going to be outvoted on at Council.

Even downtown where the streetcar is dominant, 95% of homeowners (and condo owners) own cars! Think I'm making this up? Get off the beaten path and walk down an average street--Delaware, Lisgar, Beverly, Palmerston, LV--many more car users than streetcar users!

Scientific data gathering at it's best!
It follows then if the city block of your choice has 95 cars parked on it then 100 people of driving eligible age live on this block. The street would have to be at least 95 cars long because parking is usually allowed on only one side of the street. The average lot is maybe 25' or one car length allowing for driveways and fire hydrants. Thus there would be 100 homes on one side of the street, 95 of which are occupied by a driver and 100 vacant homes on the other side of the street.

If there's one thing about the NPS revitalization that I wouldn't mind being cancelled it's the new fountains. NPS already has a water feature, it doesn't need another one. That part of the square can just be an open area. That said, I don't think the NPS project is doomed at all. It's one of many issues Ford is going to be outvoted on at Council.

I think the other fountains are being removed actually - I persume the pond will still be there.

Also ... there are not nearly enough water features in Toronto - the more the merrier!

I'm still waiting for a response from Pam McConnell and Adam Vaughan with regards to their expectations for the Queens Quay revitalization in their wards now that Ford is Mayor but having done a little research around the funding for these projects, I expect it to go ahead unless Ford specifically targets it because it reduces vehicular traffic. Funding for WaterfrontToronto comes from the $1.5 Billion seed money fronted by the 3 levels of government.

Related but city funded projects like taking down the Gardiner east of Jarvis are definitely at risk. I expect this to be an issue dealt with by Toronto's next left leaning Mayor. It's ok, the East waterfront won't be completely developed until sometime in the next 20 years so there's time to rethink the Gardiner until then and Ford won't be around.

This is wrong .....

Waterfront Toronto only has money for 800m on QQ - anything else needs to come from the city or others ... from what I recall they're going ahead with the 800m in any case.
Secondly, QQ east i.e. the streetcar extension (and revitalization of that section) is completely unfunded at the moment - that was suppose to come from the city as well.

I suspend both will be put on hold ... a slight negative about the streetcar extension to the east is the builders of east bayfront have a clause built in that they don't need to build the office compontents without high order transit ... this could mean many things though - i.e. could be buses / streetcars ...

Back