News   Jul 31, 2024
 485     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 645     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 503     0 

List of Miller policies to be reversed

Some of the sailboats have pretty high masts so the bridge would need to be tall enough or able to be lifted or moved or whatever.

Some of the sailboats have pretty high masts so the bridge would need to be tall enough or able to be lifted or moved or whatever.

maybe they could make a bridge that opens...like the other ones in the portlands.

Port Lands is the best place for a pedestrian bridge to the island. I think it would bring even more life to Cherry Beach, too.

Waterfront development is my biggest worry with Mayor Ford, too, but I think the Pan-Am games will keep most of the work going.

It's a lot of the little stuff that I'm interested in. Like, is Ford going to announce the winner of the Toronto Book Award?

The thing is, Porter doesn't talk about it on a regular basis anymore. Porter is years beyond that point especially since it got its new ferry and since the tunnel proposal came about. Would they like a bridge if someone said it could be built?
Isn't that what I said?

Sure, but it's so far off the radar that they couldn't care less since the lack of one isn't eating into their business.
It does eat into their potential business or else they wouldn't be considering alternatives. But they're OK with it to a certain extent because they were paid not to build it... with your money and mine, and because now we have an alternate plan as a replacement to the bridge.

ie. Porter wants the bridge, can't have it, so they're building the next best thing. They're NOT content with the ferry service.

Why? Can't the boats go under the bridge?

Not unless they want to spend the money to make the bridge very high, or motorize it so it can raise up for the boats. The channel is very short and to make it high enough for the boats, the bridge would have to be taller than it is long.

so, what's the problem?

On a summer day there is almost never not a boat in the channel...who gets priority, boats or pedestrians? You end up in a situation where people are waiting for a few minutes for the bridge to raise (boats need to clear, then the bridge needs to go down), which really isn't any different than the current ferry system. A tunnel just makes more sense logistically in my opinion. Porter has already indicated it's going ahead with the tunnel, so I'm not even sure why the bridge is an issue anymore.

Isn't that what I said?

It does eat into their potential business or else they wouldn't be considering alternatives. But they're OK with it to a certain extent because they were paid not to build it... with your money and mine, and because now we have an alternate plan as a replacement to the bridge.

ie. Porter wants the bridge, can't have it, so they're building the next best thing. They're NOT content with the ferry service.

They're certainly content. But I'm going to leave it at that. There's no point in me arguing it any further with you because I have actually talked to Bob Deluce whereas you probably can't pick him out of a lineup.

They're certainly content. But I'm going to leave it at that. There's no point in me arguing it any further with you because I have actually talked to Bob Deluce whereas you probably can't pick him out of a lineup.
OK I'll give you that: I haven't talked to Deluce. :)

However, I don't see how you can really claim Porter is truly content with the ferry, if they're building a tunnel. Does not compute. It sounds a lot more like acceptance than contentment.

Funny thing about this talk about connections to the Islands: IMO what should be really monitored is his stance on the homes at Wards and Algonquin--I wouldn't be at all surprised if he reopens the "evict the Islanders" can of worms. (Lest we forget, another EtobiTory--MPP Chris Stockwell--tried to reopen that apparently dead issue a decade ago or so.)

I don't Ford has ever even mentioned that in his entire campaign.

Kudos to you for giving him ideas though.

Come to think of it, what's Chris Stockwell doing these days? I can certainly see him giving friendly advice to Ford...

Back