News   May 15, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Lack of meaningful Passenger Rail service outside the Quebec-Windsor Corridor

Much of these old crates still running and eventually having to be taken out of service is not only due to Ottawa not wanting to pay for them but also VIA not wanting to run them. The new trains are for The Corridor with the old ones for the rest of the country and this works just fine for VIA despite what they may publicly claim/

The retiring of these vehicles will give VIA the excuse it wants to stop all non-productive rail lines anywhere outside The Corridor. Nearly every route outside Windsor-Quebec is a noose around VIA's financial neck and, as far as VIA is concerned, the sooner they can ditch those routes entirely, the better.
It’s really striking how little (if anything) you comprehend of what you write about here. If any of the conspiracies you fantasize here was true, VIA would certainly not ring the bell audaciously publicly to highlight that the survival of its non-Corridor routes depends on a very timely approval of a full renewal of its non-Corridor fleet…

Last edited:
Much of these old crates still running and eventually having to be taken out of service is not only due to Ottawa not wanting to pay for them but also VIA not wanting to run them. The new trains are for The Corridor with the old ones for the rest of the country and this works just fine for VIA despite what they may publicly claim/

The retiring of these vehicles will give VIA the excuse it wants to stop all non-productive rail lines anywhere outside The Corridor. Nearly every route outside Windsor-Quebec is a noose around VIA's financial neck and, as far as VIA is concerned, the sooner they can ditch those routes entirely, the better.
The noose around VIA's financial neck is probably their labour costs.
I spoke with a yard crew guy at CN who told me VIA rail conductors make close to 200k a year. That's more than CN & CP conductors make.

I spoke with a yard crew guy at CN who told me VIA rail conductors make close to 200k a year. That's more than CN & CP conductors make.
I assume @Bojaxs is referring to the 'attendants' who serve the food. They are the VIA equivalents of Flight Attendants.
I really hate that Paige-dude for making that stupid video which makes everyone so obsessed about VIA’s labour costs. Assuming we are talking about Senior Service Attendants (which CN and CP of course don’t have, since they no longer run passenger trains), these make $34.02 per hour, according to Tom Box on Groups.io:

As for Locomtive Engineers (which CN and CP actually employ), RailCAN quotes a range of $80-105k:

IMG_4732.jpeg

Last edited:
There are no conductors on VIA Rail.

Dan
Sorry, engineers.

I really hate that Paige-dude for making that stupid video which makes everyone so obsessed about VIA’s labour costs.
Nah, I suspected VIA's high labour costs year's ago when so many CN, yard crew guys told me that a lot of engineers were trying to get into VIA.

Sorry, engineers.

Nah, I suspected VIA's high labour costs year's ago when so many CN, yard crew guys told me that a lot of engineers were trying to get into VIA.
A friend who worked for CN would have gone to Via for the working conditions. Unlike freight, you pick up your already made train and head to the various stations. No switching out cars, or dealing with dangerous goods, or even dealing with corporate overlords who keep wanting to cut everything to make a bigger profit this quarter.

Sorry, engineers.

VIA quotes a base salary of $105k:
IMG_4735.jpeg
However, this collective agreement indicates a base salary of $1,622.89 per week in 2003, which would translate to an annual salary of $128k in 2023 prices:
IMG_4737.jpeg

Anyways, pay is not everything: given that VIA schedules its trains much more predictably than CN and CPKC, the shifts to which its LEs are allocated also become more predictable. Also, given that no corridor trains are scheduled between midnight and 6 a.m., you are all but guaranteed to not have shifts lasting through the entire night, as long as you are assigned to Corridor routes…

Last edited:
Who happens to be a CN rail, yard engineer.

Which makes them an expert on compensation regimes in another organization?

No disrespect meant to CN engineers, who are expert at some things but maybe not well informed about others......Sounds like nothing more than sandhouse shop talk, which generally involves a poor original source, and a fair bit of embellishment as the "story" is passed along. And maybe some "grass is greener" speculation.

- Paul

Back