News   May 02, 2024
 59     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 118     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 176     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

I'm really disappointed that a red light doesn't deter dumb drivers. However, considering I have seen drivers go straight through full on regular red lights in Mississauga (where I'd argue it's far more dangerous and likely to result in a car-on-car collision), I guess it shouldn't surprise me.

I do think the next step is automated enforcement through red light cameras.

However, they really need to look into updating the HTA. Definitely need to move those bicycle signals lower so car drivers won't think they're for them, and change the transit lights to actual transit signals which car drivers won't confuse with their own signals either.

But it really is disappointing watching that video.

Warm-weather transit in Toronto.
IMG_3769.jpeg

Not to excuse the bad drivers, but when you have so many lights and messaging, maybe it's time to rethink things.

1713276649252.png

I mean:
  • 5 strips of lights
  • 4 signs (with a lot of words)
  • Why is one of the most important sign - the don't go forward if your are non-transit - so far away and not much more prominent?
  • Why isn't the transit signal sign directly above the actual transit signals? Same with the bicycle signal sign, although this one is less problematic
  • Why is there two transit signals, and two bicycle signals?
The yellow paint on the ground sucks/poorly maintained. Just make it fully red with a "transit-only" label. As much as drivers suck, I do believe in keeping things simple (KISS!). Just commit and put in bollards that only goes down when transit approaches it. Expensive yes, but I hate these half-assed, tacked on solutions where nobody wins.

It’s busy enough through the whole winter to have the valet there, though it’s not usually lined up.
I’m surprised! I’ll be honest the one thing I really like about King Street being open to bikes, is that pre-pandemic when I biked on Adelaide or Wellington there were a lot of hard-core cyclists in a narrow lane, and it honestly turned me off biking

I’m surprised! I’ll be honest the one thing I really like about King Street being open to bikes, is that pre-pandemic when I biked on Adelaide or Wellington there were a lot of hard-core cyclists in a narrow lane, and it honestly turned me off biking
Just don’t let them bother you.

I’ve been on both sides: sometimes booting past people who are (to my mind) excessively slow. Other times being buzzed by much faster, more aggressive cyclists.

I just keep reminding myself: “Arrive alive”.

Back