News   Jun 18, 2024
 201     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 489     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

Wardens were not at King/Jarvis when I went by again at 530. Strange that they would be there at 130 and not during a busier time, especially considering this is a bad intersection for drivers blocking intersections and streetcars (not nearly as bad as Jarvis & Richmond, though).

There was a special constable at Front/Yonge, though, ensuring that SB Yonge drivers would not be blocking the intersection on the south side. Would be cool if drivers were simply fined-via-camera for doing such things instead of having to pay people to stand in intersections to direct them on how to properly drive.

Well, the sweet sound of honking. Posted by blogTO, not sure how recent this is.

Streetcars need something like this

1715040415020.png

STG aren't these all technically running red lights?
put a red light camera there and it makes millions
There really is no fix for this. Just driving thinking they need to get home a minute sooner
No, it's not a red light infraction if you enter before the light is red and get stuck there, even if it was obvious you wouldn't clear the intersection. It's a small bylaw infraction.

STG aren't these all technically running red lights?
put a red light camera there and it makes millions
There really is no fix for this. Just driving thinking they need to get home a minute sooner
It's blocking the box, a $90 fine. I don't think that needs to be hiked if we have automated enforcement.

Yeah, that's why the emphasis on *right now*. Of course, this has been a problem at certain intersections especially along Bay for years and nobody has bothered.

There can be important context to every infraction detected so it will be a full time gig for whoever gets to review all the footage before ticketing – what a dull job that’ll be!

For instance, one time my car was blocked from clearing Queen and Spadina by some contravening vagrants. When my light turned red I ended up making an illegal left just to clear the intersection. An officer watched the whole thing, could be off duty or just a reasonable person.

There can be important context to every infraction detected so it will be a full time gig for whoever gets to review all the footage before ticketing – what a dull job that’ll be!

For instance, one time my car was blocked from clearing Queen and Spadina by some contravening vagrants. When my light turned red I ended up making an illegal left just to clear the intersection. An officer watched the whole thing, could be off duty or just a reasonable person.
With automated enforcement, I would be in favour of 1st time warning, and then lower penalties but applied without exception. The reason for crazy high fines we have rolled out of late (say $615 fine for cell phone use) is that the probability of enforcement is vanishingly small, so to make an impression the fines have to be large.

With automated enforcement, I would be in favour of 1st time warning, and then lower penalties but applied without exception. The reason for crazy high fines we have rolled out of late (say $615 fine for cell phone use) is that the probability of enforcement is vanishingly small, so to make an impression the fines have to be large.
The problem with penalties is that there is incentive for people to go to court and contest them, and then either plead them down (or bulk pay them in the case of corporate defendants), have the charge dismissed because an officer doesn’t bother to show up in court, or pay the face value of the ticket. Council is apparently looking to put some tickets into the same administrative penalty scheme as parking fines - if it results in higher proportions of payment and thus a more marked disincentive to repeat the offence, maybe it might get somewhere

The problem with penalties is that there is incentive for people to go to court and contest them, and then either plead them down (or bulk pay them in the case of corporate defendants), have the charge dismissed because an officer doesn’t bother to show up in court, or pay the face value of the ticket. Council is apparently looking to put some tickets into the same administrative penalty scheme as parking fines - if it results in higher proportions of payment and thus a more marked disincentive to repeat the offence, maybe it might get somewhere
Automated enforcement can bypass court, and there is pretty cut and dried photographic evidence. Could also do $500 fine, $100 if not contested and $500 if contested and lost.

Automated enforcement can bypass court, and there is pretty cut and dried photographic evidence. Could also do $500 fine, $100 if not contested and $500 if contested and lost.
Apparently some of these offences have to have their tariffs approved by the province. There is only so much that can be expected by someone who bought the Gardiner and DVP rather than see them tolled.

Back