News   Apr 30, 2024
 436     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.1K     1 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

In Toronto, the single-occupant automobile gets priority #1. Ahead of public transit, ahead of pedestrians, ahead of cyclists, ahead of delivery trucks, and a lot of times ahead of emergency vehicles.

Last edited:
Yes, it is permanent from a traffic rule perspective, but obviously until they tear up the street to move the drain pipes they can't create the streetcar platforms, plant trees, and create a cobblestone surface to make it obvious to drivers this isn't a normal street. I am disappointed that they haven't changed the intersection lights and signage to be obvious. There is something counter-intuitive to a green light on an intersection where you can only go right, and the signs focus on what you shouldn't do instead of what you must do. There must be a better way than a green light with two restriction signs with footnotes.

Missing in action:
1690772118327.png
1690772134974.png

I would think that one light for through traffic that mysteriously shows a red light all the time with light rail signals that mean nothing to motorists combined with signs that tell them where to go would be more effective.

1690773958482.png

In Toronto, the single-occupant automobile gets priority #1. Ahead of public transit, ahead of pedestrians, ahead of cyclists, ahead of delivery trucks, and a lot of times ahead of emergency vehicles.
lmao do you think our roads are pristine? I've spent $5000 on suspension/wheel repairs from the horrible quality of our roads the last few years.
Everything in the city is in disrepair.

Also, about the twitter poster "I hate x group" in his damn name. I feel bad for people who have so much hate in their heart. I feel like it affects their view of problems in the world.

road.jpg

lmao do you think our roads are pristine? I've spent $5000 on suspension/wheel repairs from the horrible quality of our roads the last few years.
Everything in the city is in disrepair.

I have to agree with the other posters here in that Toronto needs more pedestrianized streets with limited access for delivery vehicles. It works in other cities to the benefit of those residents, and it can work here too.

This was also discussed here recently - property owners do not own the public boulevard nor unrestricted access to it. They only own a parcel of land for their home and in the case of a condo building, their parking space if they have one is a separate parcel of land. Homeowners do not even own most of the land that is used for a parking pad/front driveway and need to pay the city an annual fee to lease that space and for the sidewalk cut onto the public boulevard.

It seems like you disagree with the general sentiment that Toronto should take steps to reduce car usage and i know there are many in the GTA who would agree with you. Maybe you should run for mayor under the slogan "Turbanplanner 2027, Make Toronto Mississauga".

I have to agree with the other posters here in that Toronto needs more pedestrianized streets with limited access for delivery vehicles. It works in other cities to the benefit of those residents, and it can work here too.

This was also discussed here recently - property owners do not own the public boulevard nor unrestricted access to it. They only own a parcel of land for their home and in the case of a condo building, their parking space if they have one is a separate parcel of land. Homeowners do not even own most of the land that is used for a parking pad/front driveway and need to pay the city an annual fee to lease that space and for the sidewalk cut onto the public boulevard.

It seems like you disagree with the general sentiment that Toronto should take steps to reduce car usage and i know there are many in the GTA who would agree with you. Maybe you should run for mayor under the slogan "Turbanplanner 2027, Make Toronto Mississauga".
I don't see the need for insults?

I see many issues with closing off streets to cars. The city would have to pay out to everyone who owns a spot or unit on those streets (you really don't think people would sue for diminished values?)
Lets ignore the TTC has never been this unreliable and this unsafe. I was taking the subway into work 5 days a week, and almost every single day for WEEKS there was a service suspension or security incident that made me late for my job.
Add in the fact that the TTC does not take you everywhere . It's hard to believe but people do trek outside the core, and even outside Toronto. (I'll often go to Costco or rouge park, good luck!) and the endless short turns and bus-stitutions.

You know what would overnight fix half of the TTC's issues? Enforcing fares. Not everyone who dodges paying is a criminal or troublemaker but every one of those guys doesn't feel like paying. When the police were waiting with the inspectors it was like catching fish in a barrel. You have an open air homeless shelter that wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have guys running on the tracks with fire extinguishers.

light.png

The TTC has a STUPIDLY high fare box recovery ratio. If the Ontario government subsidized the TTC effectively maybe we would have the money for system upgrade works. Nobody would be able to get onto the damn tracks if we had platform edge doors. Maybe there would be money for security and beefed up fare gates. Maybe there would be money for more trains. Maybe there would be money to make stations not look stuck in the 1980s. Maybe there would be money for a whole bunch of stuff....

But no, money for stupid highways in fields is more important.

The TTC has a STUPIDLY high fare box recovery ratio. If the Ontario government subsidized the TTC effectively maybe we would have the money for system upgrade works. Nobody would be able to get onto the damn tracks if we had platform edge doors. Maybe there would be money for security and beefed up fare gates. Maybe there would be money for more trains. Maybe there would be money to make stations not look stuck in the 1980s. Maybe there would be money for a whole bunch of stuff....

But no, money for stupid highways in fields is more important.
The edge doors won't be a thing for another 30 years on line 2 due to signaling. I'm not a fan of the 413, but it's not like Mike Harris is still running the province. Whether they directly feel that way or not, the people of Ontario don't seem to see the value of investing in public assets like community housing or transit to the level we used to based on how politicians on both sides have been acting. It's funny the feds used to pay for 1/3rd of community housing and now they'll give a token amount and act as if this is something new.
You have too many people complaining about the effect of "over policing marginalized communities" when people suggest someone actually have the $3.35 to get on the subway. I think most people don't mind a guy sleeping on a seat, but it's different when they're yelling or defecating.

But now I'm going off topic.

I don't see the need for insults?

I see many issues with closing off streets to cars. The city would have to pay out to everyone who owns a spot or unit on those streets (you really don't think people would sue for diminished values?)
Lets ignore the TTC has never been this unreliable and this unsafe. I was taking the subway into work 5 days a week, and almost every single day for WEEKS there was a service suspension or security incident that made me late for my job.
Add in the fact that the TTC does not take you everywhere . It's hard to believe but people do trek outside the core, and even outside Toronto. (I'll often go to Costco or rouge park, good luck!) and the endless short turns and bus-stitutions.

You know what would overnight fix half of the TTC's issues? Enforcing fares. Not everyone who dodges paying is a criminal or troublemaker but every one of those guys doesn't feel like paying. When the police were waiting with the inspectors it was like catching fish in a barrel. You have an open air homeless shelter that wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have guys running on the tracks with fire extinguishers.

View attachment 496703
That nutcase is perilously close to the third rail... 😆

The edge doors won't be a thing for another 30 years on line 2 due to signaling. I'm not a fan of the 413, but it's not like Mike Harris is still running the province.
You have too many people complaining about the effect of "over policing marginalized communities" when people suggest someone actually have the $3.35 to get on the subway.

But now I'm going off topic.

Wow I wonder what would speed that up...
Some kind of special paper that gets people to do things maybe? Ah, I guess we will never know!

Back