News   Jul 15, 2024
 175     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 514     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 620     1 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

What about putting a dash cam on the streetcars and have the TTC send off infractions to the police to ticket/investigate?
Even Red Light Cameras required a separate Act that details not only how the pics are to be taken, but by what exact model and make of two manufacturers.

The City hasn't approached the Province on any aspect of the King Pilot, even though the Highway Traffic Act has a section devoted to "Pilots" and the astonishingly powerful clauses the section contains.

(gist) "Can enact anything to do anything about anything". The City has its track switch stuck up its drain-hole.

Assuming there is someone in the streetcar cab available to take down licence plates and details of the offence, would the police take any of those reports seriously?

What about putting a dash cam on the streetcars and have the TTC send off infractions to the police to ticket/investigate?

Let's put dash cams on every automobile so that drivers could send off videos to the police of pedestrians risking their lives to cross a street and cars performing bad driving habits.

Can't have cameras for everything.

Last edited:
Let's put dash cams on every automobile so that drivers could send off videos to the police of pedestrians risking their lives to cross a street and cars performing bad driving habits.

There are still officers who don't know what a dashcam is. In this video, the driver was charged with going through a red light. However, the video shows that it was green at the time of the collision.

UPDATE Jan. 25th/17: To update everyone who might still be interested, all charges against me were withdrawn. After the video blew up, the officer wrote a special letter to have the charges withdrawn against me. The court had dropped the charges in September but didn't inform me until my court date which was scheduled for this month. Furthermore, the other driver in the video was charged instead and ended up paying the full fine for the ticket. Thanks everyone for kind messages supporting me. The dash cam saved me and I encourage everyone to get one.

UPDATE: This story has been posted on quite a few news sites; in fact I personally spoke with a journalist from the Toronto Star regarding the article he wrote about the video. Local news has contacted Peel Police and they said they were investigating the situation. The police state that the dash cam was not mentioned to the officer until he had the ticket written out which is true and I mentioned that in the video description. The issue I have is that before writing the ticket the officer really did not take the time to thoroughly investigate the situation and speak with me for more information. He first spoke with the other witnesses and driver to take their statements. Then the officer only asked me for my account of what happened, which I told him. He wrote this down and said our cars need to be moved from the intersection so we will speak more in the side parking lot after the tow trucks had moved them there. At this time, I was trying to get a hold of my brother to bring his laptop so we could try and retrieve the video since I wasn’t even sure if it saved (I’ve never had to use the dash cam before to retrieve footage). After our cars were towed to the side lot, the officer just took the names of my passengers down and then went into his car. He did not speak to me again before doing so and therefore I didn’t have an opportunity to tell him I had a dash cam with footage my brother is trying to retrieve. While the officer was still in his car my brother had come back with the video file saved on his laptop ready to show the officer. I waited for the officer to get out of his car to show him the footage. However, when the officer got out, the ticket was already written up and when we told him about the video he said I should have told him beforehand. Despite saying we would talk more once the cars were moved, he didn’t speak to me again and give me a chance to mention it; however, he did take time to speak to the other driver for a second time.

Some articles have reported that Constable Fischer from Peel said that the officer asked to see the video when we mentioned to him but we didn’t have the wire or electronics to show him. This is NOT TRUE. My brother had brought the wire(which we have proof of) and had it on his laptop ready to show the officer, but he refused to see it since the citation was already written up and said that I would have to show it in court. In fact, after I accepted that the officer would not change the ticket and I would have to fight it, I asked the officer if he wanted to watch the video anyway just to see what his opinion of it was. He refused once more saying he was not allowed to give an opinion on it so there was no point. I feel the officer should have done a better job with the investigation. There is a bus station right at the same intersection and perhaps the incident could have been caught on video there, which he could have looked into as well. I never really had an opportunity to speak to him again and present my evidence since I assumed he would do so after taking my initial statement. Just going by the statements of 2 witnesses (who in this case were clearly wrong) without at least speaking to me once more before writing the ticket is what I find unfair. If I did not have the dash cam in my car, I would have no other way to prove my innocence due to the cop faithfully taking the statements of these witnesses as the truth.

TL;DR: I got charged for careless driving. Two witnesses said it was my fault, police refused to look at my dash cam footage. Other driver got charged nothing.

Will these posts even do anything more than the planters do?
IMG_3132.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3132.jpg
    IMG_3132.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 496
There are still officers who don't know what a dashcam is. In this video, the driver was charged with going through a red light. However, the video shows that it was green at the time of the collision.
Prosecuting a misdemeanour and presenting a defence are two entirely separate issues.

From the Star

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...aurants-affected-by-king-streetcar-pilot.html

“We’re in champagne country right now, because we’re doing great because of the shows … But when it’s plonk season because there’s no shows going on … it’s going to be very, very difficult down here” because of the pilot, Sorbie predicted.

In other words, it is driven by the shows, not availability of parking or whatnot as everyone seem to have noticed from day one.

AoD

Sure, and I am sure mandatory dashcams will be coming for insurance reasons alone - though I have a feeling you might be catching a lot more yellow and red light runners, illegal turns, dangerous driving and rolling stops than mere jaywalking pedestrians. Have at it!

AoD

I wouldn't be surprised if all cars will have dashcams on them in the near future - especially with self-driving cars having all the sensor records already. But I digress.

If that's the case, then the only thing I can think of is for the city to have officers every now and then. Without some sort of stick, some people will unfortunately abuse the current situation for their personal benefit.

Here’s the scene on King St this evening sround 17:30. If these restaurants aren’t pulling enough business with all this foot traffic, the readon has to be that there is better, cheaper food available somewhere nearby at their competitors. Nothing to do with streetcars or parking.
I did experience a 25 minute gap in service westbound, then a half dozen cars bunched, all CLRVs and filled to the doors. The blockage appeared to be well east of Yonge.
With the good weather here, I can’t believe there is any negative impact from the pilot.
- Paul
B5D6CC1F-572E-4B83-B4B4-B6D755CF7C82.jpeg

Attachments

• B5D6CC1F-572E-4B83-B4B4-B6D755CF7C82.jpeg
    B5D6CC1F-572E-4B83-B4B4-B6D755CF7C82.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 630
Here’s the scene on King St this evening sround 17:30. If these restaurants aren’t pulling enough business with all this foot traffic, the readon has to be that there is better, cheaper food available somewhere nearby at their competitors. Nothing to do with streetcars or parking.
I did experience a 25 minute gap in service westbound, then a half dozen cars bunched, all CLRVs and filled to the doors. The blockage appeared to be well east of Yonge.
With the good weather here, I can’t believe there is any negative impact from the pilot.
- Paul
View attachment 145464

The suburban Councillors see emptiness, because of the lack of automobiles that carry 1.3 people on average. That's why the auto-addicted Councillors demanded and got tribute of $164,000 towards disciples of their gods, the automobile.

- Paul
A Flexity stuck at King and Princess around 5.30

Back