News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 594     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 888     0 

King-Queen-Roncy Intersection/ROW

April 24
TTC has started to string the intersection. TTC has place brackets and support for Sunnyside Loop on the existing carhouse poles and will be strung to some of the new poles for the loop as well the ROW.

Tracks has been place in the ROW waiting to to be straighten and base concrete pour to anchor them. Another pole support has been pour, but missing the pole.

Curbs still need to be pour for the eastbound lanes as well footing for a few more TTC poles.

Bricks are been place along the curb of King St and Queensway to all lanes to allow the paving of the lanes.

New traffic lights are being installed for the intersection.
52027941976_470a151741_b.jpg

52028189594_5f00a2475d_b.jpg

52028456280_a018bdd385_b.jpg

52028190004_922ea47fec_b.jpg

52027981223_ab27d88022_b.jpg

52028456625_0d96d16f98_b.jpg

52026898297_9d14802ae3_b.jpg

52027943161_93516555cb_b.jpg

52028190444_7ab729d1a9_b.jpg

52028190594_4326154047_b.jpg

52027981653_cc7e68d2fa_b.jpg

52028190744_937643beb6_b.jpg

52028457220_519e97b267_b.jpg

52027982018_3b61d72e9d_b.jpg

52027943911_99d2ae817f_b.jpg

Last edited:
What the intersection looked like in 1923. Almost 100 years ago...

DqdkOC3XQAEFfkV

From link.

They replaced the Lake Shore/Sunnyside bridge with a pedestrian bridge, since then. From link.

ttc-long-branch-roncesvalles-19540531.jpg

An all-electric PCC streetcar heads northbound across the bridge connecting Lake Shore boulevard and Queen Street west of Roncesvalles, in 1955, two years before the construction of the Queensway extension.

ttc-lakeshore-road-1955.jpg

An air-electric PCC heads on the Lake Shore Road bridge over the CN Railway tracks towards the Queen/King/Roncesvalles intersection in LONG BRANCH service.

preview

Lakeshore Road., looking southwest from King-Roncesvalles intersection to bridge over C.N.R. tracks, showing Queen Street West (future The Queensway) at right. 1922, a hundred years ago. From link.

There used to be the Sunnyside railway station this intersection. Go to link for more information.

The construction of the Grand Trunk Railway‘s Sunnyside Station coincided with a major grade separation project that took place through south Parkdale in the early 1900’s. The project involved the closure of the Grand Trunk’s South Parkdale station and Sunnyside station was essentially its replacement. It was built at the foot of Roncesvalles Avenue, a few kilometers west of the South Parkdale station. First, a temporary structure was built in 1911 for passengers to use while the permanent structure was being built. This was completed in 1913, and featured a pedestrian flyover to access the platforms from street level. Situated on a four-track section of mainline, the station had a platform on the north track as well as one in between the two middle tracks.

In addition to the Grand Trunk, Sunnyside Station was also used by the Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Railway via trackage rights over the Grand Trunk into Toronto Union Station. It was commonly a stop on the TH&B’s trains between Toronto and Buffalo. The TH&B would continue to serve this station under Canadian National, at least until 1954. After this, Canadian Pacific’s Budd Rail Diesel Cars between Toronto and Hamilton over the TH&B but this, too, would end in 1967. That year, Canadian National also stopped serving Sunnyside as GO Transit took over commuter service out of Toronto. GO chose to build their own stations at Exhibition and Long Branch rather than use the existing Sunnyside station, and as a result it was demolished in 1973.

SunnysideCNR1967.jpg

SunnysideGTR337_19May1915-1024x758.jpg

Sunnyside1July1925-1024x793.jpg

The vehicular lanes on King have now been poured. Eastbound lanes on The Queensway have been paved up to Sunnyside bridge. Sidewalks have also been poured. Sod still to come.

Some quick cell shots from this afternoon.

View attachment 398849View attachment 398850View attachment 398851View attachment 398852
Why pave the eastbound Queensway lanes when the rest of the road still have to be built and traffic can't use until it pour? Will create a 2 seam joint. King is ready to open and car folks will love it along with the 504 riders when it dose.

More TTC over head support up with King seeing more of it as well to the yard on the Queensway. With the support up, TTC can start string the OS to get 504 and 501 to loop in the yard.

Need more overhead support is needed before 501 can use Sunnyside Loop..

May 15
Has anyone been around KQQR the last few day as I was seeing something strange on King today at Spadina??

Saw a number of Eastbound cars turning north on Spadina to loop at Charlotte as out of service cars. When they left Charlotte loop, they went westbound as an out of service car with 2 others on Charlotte.

Other than testing the overhead at KQQR, no clue as to what was taking place. No 510 were shorting at King.

KQQR on my do list for this week.

May 15
Has anyone been around KQQR the last few day as I was seeing something strange on King today at Spadina??

Saw a number of Eastbound cars turning north on Spadina to loop at Charlotte as out of service cars. When they left Charlotte loop, they went westbound as an out of service car with 2 others on Charlotte.

Other than testing the overhead at KQQR, no clue as to what was taking place. No 510 were shorting at King.

KQQR on my do list for this week.
The TTC are doing track work on Bathurst south of King this weekend. Bathurst cars are looping VIA King, Spadina and Charlotte

The TTC are doing track work on Bathurst south of King this weekend. Bathurst cars are looping VIA King, Spadina and Charlotte
Thanks.

I was planning on doing some shooting between Spadina and Bathurst, but after 7 hours of shooting and the heat, call it a day at Spadina. If I did the shoot, would have seen the track work.

Drove through there today. There were signs of more hardware having been added overhead, but the gap on the 504 route has not been closed.

Other than the TTC overhead there didn't seem to be much left to do before the intersection can be opened. That would at least get the 504 running again. Construction on the Queensway is continuing but clearly that won't be complete for some time.

- Paul

Drove through there today. There were signs of more hardware having been added overhead, but the gap on the 504 route has not been closed.

Other than the TTC overhead there didn't seem to be much left to do before the intersection can be opened. That would at least get the 504 running again. Construction on the Queensway is continuing but clearly that won't be complete for some time.

- Paul
The 504 streetcars will use the yard to loop once the intersection is ready for service until the north gate and the tracks on Roncesvalles can be rebuilt. 501 is supposed to use Sunnyside Loop until the ROW is complete.

504 will then use Sunnyside Loop once 501 can resume normal service. until Roncesvalles is finish.

As to where 504 riders get on going east will most likely happen close to the intersection on King.

Because of trackwork on Roncesvalles, expect to see it close to traffic with buses using only one lane for both direction.

Because of trackwork on Roncesvalles, expect to see it close to traffic with buses using only one lane for both direction.
Apart from the track immediately north of the intersection of K Q & R, I do not think there is any trackwork ON Roncesvalles planned. (Certainly none indicated on TOInView and it is all fairly new.) The TTC are going to rebuild the stops so that they are more suitable for the LRVs and their ramps that seems like a fairly fast job but one which will doubtless interfere with traffic.

Apart from the track immediately north of the intersection of K Q & R, I do not think there is any trackwork ON Roncesvalles planned. (Certainly none indicated on TOInView and it is all fairly new.) The TTC are going to rebuild the stops so that they are more suitable for the LRVs and their ramps that seems like a fairly fast job but one which will doubtless interfere with traffic.
The tracks north of the intersection and the yard switches are to be replace the last I heard. Tracks for sure as they are 6-18 inches out of alignment with the yard switches. Platforms were in the plan from day one.

What I don't know or have seen, has TTC raise the existing platforms as plan??

The tracks north of the intersection and the yard switches are to be replace the last I heard. Tracks for sure as they are 6-18 inches out of alignment with the yard switches. Platforms were in the plan from day one.

What I don't know or have seen, has TTC raise the existing platforms as plan??
The TTC Notice says:

Roncesvalles: April 2022 to August 2022 Harvard Avenue to Dundas Street West: AODA upgrades to existing TTC platforms so I assume that is yet to come.

Back