News   May 16, 2024
 192     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 423     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 2.2K     0 

King-Queen-Roncy Intersection/ROW

Unloading the paving equipment at Lunch. Hopefully they can get it done.
View attachment 474161

What's with the placement of the poles here? They're set back from the curb almost a meter, which is too little to create a usable zone for walking or anything else, but enough to narrow the balance of the sidewalk.

What's with the placement of the poles here? They're set back from the curb almost a meter, which is too little to create a usable zone for walking or anything else, but enough to narrow the balance of the sidewalk.
Probably designed a traffic engineer, who does not use public transit, to allow room should a passenger open their car door. Even though that would be a no parking or no standing area.

They did the same bullshit at the tip of King street on the south/west side when they could've cleared sidewalk entirely and had them on the grass area.

Streetcars to roll again at King and Roncesvalles​

The 504A King streetcar between Dundas West Station and Dufferin St will resume service this Sunday.​

From January 2021 until May 2023, buses replaced the 504 King between Dundas West Station and Dufferin Street, including the intersection at King St. W., and Roncesvalles Ave., to accommodate major City works on water mains and sewers in the area, as well as streetcar track replacement, extension of a dedicated streetcar right-of-way, enhancements to streetcar stops and improved safety for pedestrians and cyclists.​
“I'm glad to see TTC streetcar service returning to King and Roncesvalles after this major and much-needed work. This is another example of the work underway to build up our city and make significant investments in infrastructure,” said Deputy Mayor Jennifer McKelvie. "Thank you to everyone for their patience as we completed these important upgrades."​
“Ensuring the 504 King to and from Dundas West Station resumes in time for summer is a tremendous example of the dedication and commitment of TTC and City staff,” said TTC Chair Jon Burnside. “We know that service disruptions can be frustrating for our customers, and I’m really pleased that we’re able to resume streetcar service. Thank you to the team that went above and beyond to get this done.”​
“Following the very complex reconstruction of the King / Queen / Queensway / Roncesvalles intersection, I welcome the return of the 504 streetcar to Roncesvalles Avenue,” said Ward 4 City Councillor, Gord Perks. “The return of one of the busiest surface streetcar routes in North America is very exciting news."​
“I would like to thank the local Roncesvalles community for their support and patience during construction,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “Together with our City partners we completely rebuilt the streetcar tracks, re-established and aligned new overhead cables, and tested and commissioned the infrastructure to facilitate the resumption of service for May 7. It’s a welcome outcome of improved service for TTC customers.”​
The 501 Queen will continue to short-turn at Queen St. W., and Roncesvalles Ave., as construction continues in the area. 501L Queen buses operate from Queen St. W., and Dufferin St., to Long Branch.​
-30-​
Media contact: Corporate Communications, 416-981-1900, media@ttc.ca

Hope they actually written down, recorded, and actually know where all the underground utilities, wiring conduits, pipes, etc. are this time. And don't lose where they are.
Today technology recording things is very easy today compared to hand written notes that got lost over time when not added to a map at the time. A lot of TTC maps for various things had many missing info with a lot of surprises.

Have ran into surprises on various projects over the decades where things were either added or removed, but never put on the drawings to the point this is not going to work when uncovered. It has set projects back by days to months as well costing a lot more to deal with the current condition.

Last edited:
From link.

504A King streetcars will operate between Dundas West Station and Distillery Loop, via Dundas Street, Roncesvalles Avenue, King Street, Sumach and Cherry street.
504B King streetcars will operate between Dufferin Gate Loop and Distillery Loop, via Dufferin Street, King Street, Sumach and Cherry street.

504 King/505 Dundas replacement buses will operate between Parliament Street and Broadview Station, via King Street, Queen Street and Broadview Avenue.

304 King night bus will operate between Dundas West Station and Broadview Station, via Dundas Street, Roncesvalles Avenue, King Street, Queen Street and Broadview Avenue.
504-304_BP_May7.gif

Transfer points:​

Westbound 504A/B, 304: Board on King Street, east of Parliament Street.
Southbound 504A/B: Board on King Street, west of Sumach Street.
Eastbound 504/505, 304: Board on King Street, west of Sumach Street.

@drum118 ~ Any idea why these forms are so tall? Is this going to be a retaining wall/trench or something?
My guess it a retaining wall to stop speeders from ending up on the ROW, hitting streetcars and the westbound platform with riders on it.

May 27
More up on my site

They have finally started to pour the retaining wall and should be fully pour come Monday. First time in a long time seeing someone working on this section with a 4 man crew doing the forming for the last section to be pour.

Once pour and strip, grading of the ROW can take place to allow the pouring of the ROW base that will allow TTC crew to get in to do the trackwork, Rebuilding of the remaining road then can take place follow by paving it.

The westbound TTC stop platform in place and once the ROW is fully pour, TTC can start to string the the ROW.

Can we now say we may see streetcars will finally be able to go to Humber Loop in July/Aug after 2.5 years out of service??
52934563123_e85b924c7b_b.jpg

52934116456_518a56273d_b.jpg

52934116686_068f39b390_b.jpg

52933518802_39c54befd5_b.jpg

52934116876_1d5dba3506_b.jpg

52934510840_89c087f4b4_b.jpg

As of today the rail has been reconnected right through the work zone on the Queensway.
That concrete retaining wall is needed not just as a auto separator - the new track alignment is raised, reducing the grade on what operators have told me was one of the steepest and slipperiest spots on the line. The new tracks are awaiting fill and concrete to support them.
Much concrete needs to be poured now, and wire erected, but it looks like the job is moving at last.
There was a crew working today (Sunday) so there must be some urgency felt somewhere - TTC employees rather than a contractor - so more may get done faster.
As it happens, the same contractor had been working (for over a year now) on a badly botched watermain and street resurfacing project not too far away in my neck of the woods. The same faces as I saw at Roncy would show up late in the day and put in time on our local job…. My neighbours
and I were not impressed and there has been much rework required, and some collateral damage to sewers. So as an observer I sure question whether the contractor was up to the task at QKR, even if other things made the job difficult for them.

- Paul

IMG_6101.jpeg
IMG_6099.jpeg
IMG_6100.jpeg

Last edited:
As of today the rail has been reconnected right through the work zone on the Queensway.
That concrete retaining wall is needed not just as a auto separator - the new track alignment is raised, reducing the grade on what operators have told me was one of the steepest and slipperiest spots on the line. The new tracks are awaiting fill and concrete to support them.
Much concrete needs to be poured now, and wire erected, but it looks like the job is moving at last.
There was a crew working today (Sunday) so there must be some urgency felt somewhere - TTC employees rather than a contractor - so more may get done faster.
As it happens, the same contractor had been working (for over a year now) on a badly botched watermain and street resurfacing project not too far away in my neck of the woods. The same faces as I saw at Roncy would show up late in the day and put in time on our local job…. My neighbours
and I were not impressed and there has been much rework required, and some collateral damage to sewers. So as an observer I sure question whether the contractor was up to the task at QKR, even if other things made the job difficult for them.

- Paul

View attachment 484444View attachment 484445View attachment 484446
I forgot about that dip and the reason for the barrier wall. You can see that dip in the eastbound traffic lanes

Looks about 2 weeks of forming and pouring the concrete to hold the rail in places along with final grading. Then it's up to TTC to place rest of the poles and brackets before stringing the the line as well they can do some testing of it. The contractor can't do the trackwork until TTC does it and very common they do the work on the weekends, at night as well during the day if TTC has the manpower in the first place.

Still have to finishes the roadwork as well install the platform shelters.

Maybe we will get a July 1st gift with TTC returning streetcars to Humber and Long Branch. July should be completion month for the mess finally.

I have haven't seen any of the cousin who own this construction company the past 2 years as there used to be one on site as a worker and running it. The odd time there would be 2 and easy to talk to.

To me since the St Clair days, this has been the day team, as they got the job done on time regardless if someone else screw up their end. This project has been a mixed bag of screw up starting with the city. There been times the contractor should had been on site and I put it down to lack of manpower due to the various delay beyond their control that they were needed elsewhere and this became a make work project for them.

TTC 501 Queen Streetcar Service to return to Long Branch Loop

June 15, 2023

The TTC and City of Toronto are pleased to announce that beginning Sun., Sept. 3, 501 Queen streetcar service will be restored at Long Branch Loop.

The City of Toronto and TTC are nearing completion of major infrastructure upgrades in the King St. W., Queen St. W., The Queensway, and Roncesvalles Ave. (KQQR) intersection area. Upgrades include the following:

• Rehabilitation of the Parkside Dr. Bridge at The Queensway
• Watermain replacement
• Sewer relining
• Toronto Hydro infrastructure upgrades
• TTC track renewal and improvements
• TTC traction power and overhead contact system (OCS) renewal and improvements
• New and modified traffic signals (at KQQR, Glendale Ave. and Sunnyside Ave. intersections)
• Extension of the dedicated streetcar right-of-way from Parkside Dr. to Roncesvalles Ave. to improve transit priority and reliability
• New eastbound streetcar platforms to improve passenger safety and accessibility
• Intersection geometry updates to improve pedestrian safety
• Improved public realm and streetscaping
• New and upgraded TTC platforms on Roncesvalles Ave. (Queen St. to Dundas St.)

From January 2021 until May 2023, buses replaced the 504 King between Dundas West Station and Dufferin St., including the intersection at King St. W., and Roncesvalles Ave., to accommodate the construction.

504A King streetcar service between Dundas West Station and Dufferin St. resumed in May. The 501 Queen is currently short-turning at Queen St. W., and Roncesvalles Ave. 501L Queen buses are operating from Queen St. W., and Dufferin St., to Long Branch Loop.

TTC 501 Queen Streetcar Service to return to Long Branch Loop

June 15, 2023

The TTC and City of Toronto are pleased to announce that beginning Sun., Sept. 3, 501 Queen streetcar service will be restored at Long Branch Loop.

The City of Toronto and TTC are nearing completion of major infrastructure upgrades in the King St. W., Queen St. W., The Queensway, and Roncesvalles Ave. (KQQR) intersection area. Upgrades include the following:

• Rehabilitation of the Parkside Dr. Bridge at The Queensway
• Watermain replacement
• Sewer relining
• Toronto Hydro infrastructure upgrades
• TTC track renewal and improvements
• TTC traction power and overhead contact system (OCS) renewal and improvements
• New and modified traffic signals (at KQQR, Glendale Ave. and Sunnyside Ave. intersections)
• Extension of the dedicated streetcar right-of-way from Parkside Dr. to Roncesvalles Ave. to improve transit priority and reliability
• New eastbound streetcar platforms to improve passenger safety and accessibility
• Intersection geometry updates to improve pedestrian safety
• Improved public realm and streetscaping
• New and upgraded TTC platforms on Roncesvalles Ave. (Queen St. to Dundas St.)

From January 2021 until May 2023, buses replaced the 504 King between Dundas West Station and Dufferin St., including the intersection at King St. W., and Roncesvalles Ave., to accommodate the construction.

504A King streetcar service between Dundas West Station and Dufferin St. resumed in May. The 501 Queen is currently short-turning at Queen St. W., and Roncesvalles Ave. 501L Queen buses are operating from Queen St. W., and Dufferin St., to Long Branch Loop.
Bold of them to assume they can pour some concrete and put up some wires in 2.5 months

Bold of them to assume they can pour some concrete and put up some wires in 2.5 months
Oh dont you worry they'll finish it by then and then they'll find some kind of defect which will close down that whole stretch of streetcar service again for another year.

Back