News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 589     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 885     0 

King-Queen-Roncy Intersection/ROW

How much of that is due to utilities being slow?
None

Hold up was the bell chamber and hydro work as well pouring the new road. Since the there is one new lane west of the east end of the new eastbound platform and 2/3 up to the old pave section, paving is require now. When that will take place is based on the weather and City requirements to have it done.

Once that is done, traffic will be shifted to the new lane(s) and closing of Glendale intersection to allow built of the 2 lanes for that intersection as well beside the new platform. Glendale drivers can use Sunnyside to go north on it or an U-turn to get to it or X.

I drive this way almost daily - its taking forever!
Welcome to the world of delays brought to you by Toronto Hydro. Toronto Hydro is famous for being late by weeks to an year for most projects and this just one of 100's related to TTC projects. Now why is it TTC is very slow as well the contractor for not having the New ROW built by now??

The Queensway used to be Queen Street West until meeting with Indian Road (it forked with Parkside Drive).

From link.
20140206queenextension.jpg

Construction of Queen Street West extension, 1955.

20140206queenswaystreetcar.jpg

Construction of Queen Street West extension, 1955.

20140206sunnysiderailway.jpg

Gardiner Expressway, looking west from east of the foot of Roncesvalles Avenue, during construction, showing Lakeshore Road bridge over CNR tracks, south of King Street and Sunnyside Railway Station, July 21, 1957

Over the last few days, I observed TTC a service truck salting the Queensway right of way west of High Park, and a second TTC pickup driving on said row. Pretty odd considering the line is not in service, and the Queensway roadway was cleared fairly well during the storm.

Hate to see salt used at all on these tracks - has to be a life shortener for these almost-new rails.

Maybe TTC ought to just leave the snow in place and let people ski/snoeshoe along the line… it won’t see streetcars any time soon.

- Paul

Over the last few days, I observed TTC a service truck salting the Queensway right of way west of High Park, and a second TTC pickup driving on said row. Pretty odd considering the line is not in service, and the Queensway roadway was cleared fairly well during the storm.

Hate to see salt used at all on these tracks - has to be a life shortener for these almost-new rails.

Maybe TTC ought to just leave the snow in place and let people ski/snoeshoe along the line… it won’t see streetcars any time soon.

- Paul
No doubt they have it in their snow-clearing contract so no possible way it could NOT be salted!

Below was take from Construction Update Notice #6 (dated Dec 23rd):

Stage 3 work along Roncesvalles Avenue was originally scheduled to be complete by December 31st . Unfortunately, the City’s contractor has been unable to complete all the required work and is now expected to continue working in the new year and complete Stage 3 by the end of February 2023. Work will continue after this period with the installation of TTC streetcar track platforms and overhead wiring, with only lane restrictions as necessary.

Upon completion, all travel lanes on Roncesvalles Avenue will be opened from Queen Street West to Harvard Avenue. The City is working with the contractor to investigate options for a partial opening of travel lanes as their work progresses. This may affect the above completion dates.

As part of work being completed on The Queensway (Parkside Drive to Roncesvalles Avenue), the contractor has uncovered conflicts with underground utilities that require modifications to the designs. The Stage 2 work is now expected to be complete in Spring 2023. Upon completion, all travel lanes on The Queensway will be restored and northbound access to Sunnyside Avenue from The Queensway will be reinstated.

During construction, 504C King replacement buses will continue to operate in place of streetcars between Dundas West Station and the King/Bathurst area. From Dundas West Station, buses will operate via Howard Park Avenue, Parkside Drive, Lake Shore Boulevard West, Colborne Lodge Drive and The Queensway to the King/Bathurst area. Stops on Dundas Street West/Roncesvalles Avenue between Howard Park Avenue and King Street West will not be served until further notice.

Streetcar routes impacted by this project are expected to resume service through this area in Spring 2023 following the completion of all works.

This project is an absolute gongshow of an embarassment all around for all parties involved, wouldnt be surprised if this isnt finished until the end of the year at this point.
Early to mid Q2 should be the latest it would reopen 100% based on what I have seen first hand. When a few surprises show up, it tends to delay things as noted that can be based on no info was every put on record for it or it was have the wrong correct info for it.

No idea what is delaying the opening of Roncesvalles as all the new tracks and switches should be pour now other than the new bump out platforms. Could be something was found not in the plans for the platform and saw nothing for the tracks.

Sunnyside loop is ready for service once TTC finishes the last of the string of the missing OS and does the normally testing before putting x back into service. Feb should see it in service from my point of view.

As I noted in my last posting, paving is holding up the reopening of the eastbound lanes and don't know what the city standard is for paving at this time of the year. That said, cars can drive on the concrete now and use the ROW in the spring while the road is pave if it can't happen now.

The Gong show started with Toronto Hydro that is own by the city and time for the city to light a fire under them to stop this delaying of projects city wide.

I dont think i have seen streetcars at parklawn/lakeshore since 2018 now... its been a while :(
Well, if Park Lawn Loop is to be in place by 2026, the the Lake Shore ROW has to be built in which means the widening of Lake Shore to allow for switches installation or it could be in 2026. 507 streetcars will start running again later this year and until the Lake Shore ROW work takes place. 501 streetcars will run to Sunnyside loop once TTC opens it up hopeful by February or early March.

Once the rest of the ROW is built to Parkside Dr, streetcars can return to both 507 and having 501 streetcars going to Humber until the next cut in 501 line takes place.

As I noted in my last posting, paving is holding up the reopening of the eastbound lanes and don't know what the city standard is for paving at this time of the year. That said, cars can drive on the concrete now and use the ROW in the spring while the road is pave if it can't happen now.
When I passed by today the Eastbound lanes were paved and being used by vehicles. The ROW now has construction barrels to block entry. The left turn lane is being used to store fencing for now, but that's fine since Roncesvalles northbound is no where near ready to open.

Sunnyside loop is ready for service once TTC finishes the last of the string of the missing OS and does the normally testing before putting x back into service. Feb should see it in service from my point of view.
Overhead wire is no longer missing at Sunnyside loop and is present through the whole loop. However, it is not all on proper hangers yet and is being held up with rope/string in multiple places.

Well, if Park Lawn Loop is to be in place by 2026, the the Lake Shore ROW has to be built in which means the widening of Lake Shore to allow for switches installation or it could be in 2026. 507 streetcars will start running again later this year and until the Lake Shore ROW work takes place. 501 streetcars will run to Sunnyside loop once TTC opens it up hopeful by February or early March.

Once the rest of the ROW is built to Parkside Dr, streetcars can return to both 507 and having 501 streetcars going to Humber until the next cut in 501 line takes place.
Wow so in the end it very well could be closed for most of a decade

When I passed by today the Eastbound lanes were paved and being used by vehicles. The ROW now has construction barrels to block entry. The left turn lane is being used to store fencing for now, but that's fine since Roncesvalles northbound is no where near ready to open.

Overhead wire is no longer missing at Sunnyside loop and is present through the whole loop. However, it is not all on proper hangers yet and is being held up with rope/string in multiple places.
On Dec 18, I shot the switches being put together already on the base and tearing up existing tracks north of the east gate. I saw no issues for the new trackwork. I thought shot this area in Nov and maybe the area they were tearing up was the surprise area.

Sunnyside loop were missing hangers then with the main supports strung. Will not take much to place the hangers and install the OS wire which should take about 3 days if they do 8 hour shifts. Now some of the may have to wait tell the support bracket is place on the first pole in the ROW for string the OS.

With the lanes pave, they can now build the 2nd lane and the turning lane west of the platform which mean the intersection will have to be close until the work is completed. I know they started some work on the remaining ROW to Parkside, but has any work been done since then??

Wow so in the end it very well could be closed for most of a decade
How long has the Park Lawn Loop been on the book for the south west loop to see how slow things get done for transit in TO. That now has been move to the north east area and subject to the developer timeline.

The blame goes to TO since they design roads, infrastructure, hired the contractors with TTC being a sub to the contractors, but TO mismanagement the projects from the start. TTC can only do what is ready for them and then sits back tell the next area is done.

Back