News   Jul 22, 2024
 259     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 329     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     0 

Kensington Market in the 1950's: The Photographs of Michel Lambeth (1923-1977)

Michael Lambeth; more reading:

A good essay in Blackflash from a few years back:
http://www.blackflash.ca/michel-lambeth

And another from Border Crossings, reprinted on the Center for Contemporary Canadian art website, wherein the author wonders why there has never been a monograph of Lambeth’s work. Article was written in 2000:
http://ccca.concordia.ca/c/writing/h/heath/hea029t.html

An essay from art historian Debra Antoncic which looks at his Toronto photographs in relation to the work he undertook in Mexico:
http://www.amec.com.mx/revista/013/08 Michel Lamberth A Canadian Photographer In Mexico.pdf

page 93 of this Vie des Arts, from 2008, has a review of a show of Lambeth’s photographs at the Mount Allison University Gallery, Sackville, NB:
http://www.erudit.org/culture/va1081917/va1094571/52458ac.pdf

His memoir Confessions of a Tree Taster comes up at auction periodically:
http://thecollectedimage.com/artwork/1938290_MICHAEL_LAMBETH_The_Confessions_of_a.html

Amazon has a catalogue of an exhibition of his work curated by Maia-Mari Sutnik, who teaches in the School of Image Arts, Ryerson:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000IUXI8I/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

As does abebooks:
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/9781895235968/Michel-Lambeth-Photographer-Sutnik-Maia-Mari-1895235960/plp

Thank you for this, deepend. The essays are wonderful. Is it the nature of artists in Canada that Lambeth is not recognized for the master he is?

Thank you for this, deepend. The essays are wonderful. Is it the nature of artists in Canada that Lambeth is not recognized for the master he is?

Sadly I think this is often true. Although in the case of Lambeth I still find the obscurity surprising, as he is obviously an exceptional talent. However, there are a few factors that might have contributed to it.

One is his short life. I am sure had he lived longer that the market for his work would have grown. A secondary auction market for prints would probably have developed. Once an artist is dead however, it falls mainly to the estate to champion the work, and seek out opportunities to enhance the artist’s reputation. In the case of the Lambeth estate they seem to have done nothing to promote the work after his death.

Also, his employment as a working photographer for the Star Weekly probably overshadowed his art photography during his lifetime. In his time, he may have been perceived as a kind of journeyman or jobber, rather than a fine art photographer like Karsh.

But most importantly for the present time, I think that Archives Canada have really dropped the ball on this. They seem to have done absolutely nothing to bring these extraordinary images to the public’s attention since they acquired the prints and negatives (and the ©) from the Lambeth estate. The fact there has never been a show of his work at the Canadian Museum of Photography, AGO or National Gallery is unforgivable. Hopefully this will change but first the work needs a curator to champion it.

on further investigation, it does appear that the work did in fact receive an appropriate level of attention, 20 years ago or so, including a large retrospective curated by the then "National Archives"
so it is more in the nature of a revival of interest that is necessary.

this is from Lexis Nexis, so i can't link to it. full text follows:

THE VISUAL ARTS A glassful of life, art and cold beer

Globe and Mail, Saturday, November 21, 1992
MICHAEL TOROSIAN

Toronto ONT -- Michel Lambeth is one of the most important figures in the history of Canadian photography and the subject of one of the most extensive retrospective exhibitions ever mounted in Canada. Produced by the National Archives, Michel Lambeth: Photographer concludes its six-year national tour at The Market Gallery in Toronto, from Nov. 28 to Jan. 24. The exhibition was curated by photographer and publisher Michael Torosian, a student and close friend of Lambeth, who 15 years after the artist's death offers this remembrance.

BY MICHAEL TOROSIAN Special to The Globe and Mail Toronto

THIS past September marked 20 years since I first met Michel Lambeth. In 1972 I was entering my final year in the photographic arts program at Ryerson Polytechnical Institute in Toronto, where Michel was teaching a studio critique class. Our first encounter was a private interview. We talked comfortably as he smoked, consumed cough drops and displayed the slight symptoms of a cold that would never seem to fully leave him. I would never have guessed that day how largely Michel Lambeth would figure in my life.

By the time I met him, Michel was, at the age of 49, a significant figure in the world of Canadian photography. He had had a distinguished career as a photojournalist and writer, but I knew his work best through the exhibitions and publications of the National Film Board. Michel's work commanded attention; it spoke to me. His photographs possessed an artistically subtle polish and were infused with a vision that faced reality without flinching and seemed always touched with a whimsical sense of humour. I was excited at the prospect of having him as a teacher.

Our workshop was an informal, improvisational environment, a laboratory of exploration in which Michel was relentlessly encouraging. However, for me the main event of the day began when the class ended. From the beginning Michel and I, along with my friend Rene, got into the habit of marching out of the school building at the stroke of 1, down the alleyway to Dundas Street, and into the Imperial Pub. This was the location of the coldest, most refreshing draft and our forum on life and the arts. Twice a week for the entire year we observed an afternoon-long ritual. We invariably sat at one of the little round tables bathed in the glow of an aquarium that was recessed in the wall and populated with neon fish. A TV, mounted high above us, was always on, the volume always off; a disused shuffleboard was tucked along one end of the room, the remnant of a more prosperous and ebullient era in the Imperial's history. This was where my education took place.

Michel was extraordinarily cultivated in the passionate manner of an autodidact. His formal education largely ended with his graduation from Toronto's Eastern High School of Commerce in 1940, but he was a voracious reader and apparently totally absorbed by the arts from a very early age. Postwar art studies in London and Paris fleshed out and consolidated his commitment. This period of his life was a fertile source of anecdotes, a time of art history classes at the Louvre, of studying sculpture at the studio of Ossip Zadkine and selling Communist newspapers in Place Contrescarpe. Among the stories, Michel offered this piece of advice: "My master Zadkine once told me, 'Do something every day. Whether it is preparing an armature, doing preparatory drawings or actually working on the sculpture. No matter how important or trivial the activity seems, don't let a day lapse.' " A golden rule for a tyro, and the most important guidance Michel ever gave me.

My favourite story was about a Parisian girl he'd fallen in love with after the war. As he told it, he went to the immigration office with the thought of permanently staying in France so he could marry her. When asked what his occupation was he replied, "Artist." The clerk on duty told him, "Now that the war is over, Paris is in need of carpenters and plumbers and bricklayers. We don't need artists, we have plenty of them." He was refused.

The pattern of our afternoons was a patchwork of analysis and celebration of art. Michel often referred to those photographers he admired, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Brassai, Robert Doisneau and Andre Kertesz. His own photographs embraced their language - the "decisive moment," the drama in visual structure, the irony in life - informed with a humanity and insight that gave Michel's work a signature all its own. His portrait of Toronto in the 1950s is unparalleled in its synthesis of autobiography and observation.

The days grew longer as the spring of 1973 approached, but you wouldn't have known it from within the Imperial. There was a fake window with frosted glass from behind which a couple of apathetic light bulbs manufactured perpetual dusk. We were in our own world, intoxicated by esthetics and beer.

Rene and I were shocked when Michel told us that his 50th birthday was approaching. We exclaimed that he looked no more than 35. In the Imperial he was a gregarious, robust, youthful man. There was no hint then of the depression that would intermittently mark his life over the next four years. But even in those years we had a lot of good times, our conversation just as lively, as we worked together on an exhibition of his photographs.

After Michel's death in 1977 I came into possession of his artistic estate and for the next nine years was the cataloguer and caretaker of his many thousands of negatives and prints and personal documents. Through the organization of two retrospective exhibitions and an array of publications, I sought to lay a foundation for future study into his life and work. I read everything that Michel had ever written, as well as everything about him. I interviewed his family, friends and colleagues.

As the years went by and my work on Michel deepened, I was no longer sure what knowledge I had from personal experience, and what I'd gleaned from another source. I felt at risk of losing my memories of him as a friend - he had now become the subject of an art historical pursuit: fascinating, but remote.

It's been more than six years since I worked on the Lambeth collection in an official capacity. One day not long ago I was looking at a little sculptural assemblage Michel had given me. It was old and the glue on some of the components had become desiccated. As I held it, a small panel came off in my hand, revealing a clipping from a newspaper. This was something that was never meant to be seen. It was a comical little squib about the battle of the sexes that was perfectly in stride with Michel's sense of humour. The miasma of confusion that had so long obscured my memories dissipated. I could see Michel again in the Imperial, drinking beer, smoking cigarettes and relating this story to the enormous delight of Rene and me. There we were, in a rundown pub with a regal name, an ethereal joint.

Last edited:
Thank you, depend! Putting him in the proper context helps. Let's lead the charge on urbantoronto to lobby for a major retrospective....

Artists:

Robert Hedrick 1960-61:

Michael Snow:

Joyce Wieland:

Dennis Burton:

Gordon Raynor:

Joyce Wieland and Michael Snow 1964:

Richard Gorman:

Last edited:
Thank you, depend! Putting him in the proper context helps. Let's lead the charge on urbantoronto to lobby for a major retrospective...

the gallery at the new Ryerson Image Centre building is a really nice space, and they are doing some interesting programming. John Mays co-curated an Arthur S. Goss show that opened there last month:

http://www.ryerson.ca/ric/exhibitions/Goss.html

and Sophie Hackett the Assistant Curator of Photography at Art Gallery of Ontario has organized some very good shows. i haven't seen this one, but it looks intriguing:

http://www.ago.net/look-again

Torontonians:

King East 1956:

CNE 1955:

CNE 1957:

National Ballet School 1957:

St. Joseph's Convent School 1960:

Yorkville protest 1966:

Last edited:
I totally agree Michel Lambeth is a world class Photographer and worthy of recognition beyond Canada. In 1967-68 he did a photo shoot for the Toronto Star of the reclusive City Muffin Boys, a rock and roll band of some notoriety, in their rehearsal space. Being a member of the band I have searched for these photographs, so far in vain. Considering the quality of Mr. Lambeth's work you can see why I would be trying to locate some or all. My kids would love to see these photos as well as myself. If Mr. lambeth was on assignment perhaps these negatives are not to be found in his personal archives. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Charioteer for posting these amazing photographs!

Well said Deepend! Michel Lambeth should be championed. I see no reason whatsoever that he remain obscure. As it stands it is a travesty and unfortunately, so very Canadian!

Sadly I think this is often true. Although in the case of Lambeth I still find the obscurity surprising, as he is obviously an exceptional talent. However, there are a few factors that might have contributed to it.

One is his short life. I am sure had he lived longer that the market for his work would have grown. A secondary auction market for prints would probably have developed. Once an artist is dead however, it falls mainly to the estate to champion the work, and seek out opportunities to enhance the artist’s reputation. In the case of the Lambeth estate they seem to have done nothing to promote the work after his death.

Also, his employment as a working photographer for the Star Weekly probably overshadowed his art photography during his lifetime. In his time, he may have been perceived as a kind of journeyman or jobber, rather than a fine art photographer like Karsh.

But most importantly for the present time, I think that Archives Canada have really dropped the ball on this. They seem to have done absolutely nothing to bring these extraordinary images to the public’s attention since they acquired the prints and negatives (and the ©) from the Lambeth estate. The fact there has never been a show of his work at the Canadian Museum of Photography, AGO or National Gallery is unforgivable. Hopefully this will change but first the work needs a curator to champion it.

I totally agree Michel Lambeth is a world class Photographer and worthy of recognition beyond Canada. In 1967-68 he did a photo shoot for the Toronto Star of the reclusive City Muffin Boys, a rock and roll band of some notoriety, in their rehearsal space. Being a member of the band I have searched for these photographs, so far in vain. Considering the quality of Mr. Lambeth's work you can see why I would be trying to locate some or all. My kids would love to see these photos as well as myself. If Mr. lambeth was on assignment perhaps these negatives are not to be found in his personal archives. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Charioteer for posting these amazing photographs!

You're welcome, Calrez! I discovered his work while googling photos of Kensington Market (hence the name of this thread), but then found his brilliant photos of the St. Lawrence Market, street scenes and people of a long-vanished Toronto. He does deserve wider recognition.

As far as the City Muffin Boys, I found this pic on the Ryerson website. Not sure if it's by Lambeth (and which one is you?), and it's titled "The City Muffin Boys perform "The Way It Is":

ryersoncitymuffinboys.jpg

Attachments

• ryersoncitymuffinboys.jpg
    ryersoncitymuffinboys.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,629
Self portrait of Michel Lambeth 1955:

lambeth1955.jpg

On Bloor Street directing a movie 1952:

lambethbloor.jpg

Morley Callaghan at Bloor and Yonge:

lambethbloor2.jpg

Attachments