News   May 03, 2024
 611     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 387     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 213     0 

Kensington Market in the 1950's: The Photographs of Michel Lambeth (1923-1977)

I'm the bass player. That was taken in the sound stage at Ryerson CBC used it. It was a video shot for the show 'This Hour Has Seven Days" The Doors used the sound stage the day after. Where are you getting these full size Lambeths from? The Canada archives only has thumb sized shots that can't be blown up. I have some Kodachrome slide shots of mid 70's Bloor and Yonge people/street shots. I used a 35mm Konica. I'll post some when I have the time. You'll get a kick out of them. I've been a street photographer for years. I've recently become a birder. Chico is about half way to Mexico so about a million birds a year fly and rest here in the wetlands in the winter months. Very cool! I live in Chico California. Moved to SF in '89 lived there till '99 started a family in '93 and moved to Chico.

Where are you getting these full size Lambeths from?

Here's the link. Not the easiest site to navigate but eventually you will get to thumbnails that can be blown up:

http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/lac-...&digitalContentInd=1&query=lambeth&mediaType=

More:

"Maytime in the Village":

maytime.jpg

Union Station 1957:

unionstation1957.jpg

Allan Gardens:

allangardens.jpg

Toronto 1959:

1959.jpg

Market 1956:

market.jpg

Burlesque 1956:

burlesque.jpg

CNE 1955:

CNE1955.jpg

Kensington Market:

kensington1.jpg

Bicycle on King Street 1958 (I suspect this building is the one on the NE corner of King & Brant):

kingbicycle.jpg

Attachments

• maytime.jpg
    maytime.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,308
  • unionstation1957.jpg
    unionstation1957.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,202
  • allangardens.jpg
    allangardens.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,327
  • 1959.jpg
    1959.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,316
  • market.jpg
    market.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,230
  • burlesque.jpg
    burlesque.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,218
  • CNE1955.jpg
    CNE1955.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,306
  • kensington1.jpg
    kensington1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,401
  • kingbicycle.jpg
    kingbicycle.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,183
Last edited:
Great work Charioteer, absolutely stunning B & W pics , the Clarity is remarkable , feel as though I could hop into the photos , but is that not what a good picture is supposed to invoke, Lambeth was truly an artist.

Hello,

I am a long time lurker of the forum. This is a picture of my mother - Katerina Evanova - I was pretty shocked (but not that shocked) to see it here. She danced with the National in the late 1950's and toured all over the world back then, so there's a lot of pictures of her floating around as well as film and television footage. I just showed it to her - she's in her early 70's now and shockingly doesn't look that much different. She got quite the kick out of it.

Are there any more where these came from for the National? Thanks so much for posting this, she got a real kick out of it, as I said. Small world, but then we're all longtime Torontonians. Love the site, been addicted to it for a few years.

e010962674-v8.jpg

Regards,

Ivan

Last edited:
In keeping with the ballet theme (but not taken by Lambeth), a portrait of Margot Fonteyn when she was appearing with the Sadler's Wells Ballet at Maple Leaf Gardens in the 1950's:

Last edited:
I'm the bass player. That was taken in the sound stage at Ryerson CBC used it. It was a video shot for the show 'This Hour Has Seven Days" The Doors used the sound stage the day after.

Is this The Doors show you are referring to? This was recorded in Toronto.

[video=youtube;z9IIn3R6_50]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9IIn3R6_50[/video]

Thank you, Ivan! Yours is one of the most delightful responses I've ever had! Your mum sounds like a wonderful woman (does she still go to the ballet?).

Here's another one with a link to the collections:

1957:

http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_...ationale+de+ballet,+1957]&ecopy=e010962675-v8

Wow, thanks so much Charioteer! This is another we did not have. Yes, she still goes to the ballet and only stopped teaching in the last year or so, but only because she was having trouble getting enough students!

Regards,

Ivan

My mother actually loves all your work on here everyone, I've certainly showed her a lot of pics especially from the Yonge Eglinton area where I grew up. Charioteer she wanted to express her gratitude to you for finding this stuff!

For me it's been wonderful, I actually originally came on here to find historical pictures of Toronto, namely for the building that I worked at for our company's 80th anniversary, and lo and behold I saw a tonne of great stuff. Having lived and grown up in North Toronto for 40 years, it is eery, nostalgic, fascinating and a whole other bunch of adjectives to see how my home looked so many years ago. Great fun this site is.

Thanks, all!

Title: "My Hometown: Cabbagetown", 1962

Woman in a Library:

Waddinton's, 1957:

Last edited:

Back