News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.7K     2 

Keir Starmers' United Kingdom

^^ I think that's hilarious and, if true, likely far from isolated. It is a massively complex issue that was highjacked on a few very narrow issues. I have to wonder how the parents didn't understand that 'leave' (get out, divorced from, quit) meant life would go back to the way it was pre-1973. You can't be sort of pregnant.

^^ I think that's hilarious and, if true, likely far from isolated. It is a massively complex issue that was highjacked on a few very narrow issues. I have to wonder how the parents didn't understand that 'leave' (get out, divorced from, quit) meant life would go back to the way it was pre-1973. You can't be sort of pregnant.

Their utter lack of knowledge coupled with the sense of entitlement is laughable - they are clearly due for their comeuppance.

AoD

Russia report reveals UK government failed to investigate Kremlin interference

Intelligence and security committee publishes long-delayed findings on Russia’s influence over UK politics

Tue 21 Jul 2020

UK to ration COVID-19 testing amid testing failures

LONDON -- The British government plans to ration coronavirus testing, giving priority to health workers and care home staff after widespread reports that people around the country were unable to schedule tests.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Wednesday will face questions about his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic in the House of Commons and before a key committee amid the outcry over the shortage of testing.

https://www.cp24.com/world/uk-to-ration-covid-19-testing-amid-testing-failures-1.5106862

Article on Brexit and how it is............err, isn't delivering what some had hoped (duh!) and how that came to pass.

Good piece in the NY Times on Brexit, and its impacts:

But almost as good are the comments; the most educated comments section in mass media.

Not all of it is brilliant, but there are quite a few gems.

There is a clear suggestion that Brexit was actually triggered by an E-U law against citizens hiding their money in overseas Tax Havens.

That law was due to take effect on Jan 1st 2020.

The Guardian columnists (in particular Crace and Hyde) are always great sources of memorable quotes. I like this description of yet another U-turn by the Borris government. (Something that could probably be applied to Doug Ford's switch-back ride with covid restrictions. "Trying to unfuck previous fuck-ups is an increasingly popular Westminster pastime." See: https://www.theguardian.com/comment...matt-hancocks-work-ethic-just-everything-else

NI riots: What is behind the violence in Northern Ireland?

April 10, 2021

More than 70 police officers have been hurt in what police are calling Northern Ireland's worst violence for years, after sporadic rioting in several towns and cities over the past 10 days.

When you throw up a border in the Irish Sea thereby violating the Good Friday Agreement...

When you throw up a border in the Irish Sea thereby violating the Good Friday Agreement...
You have this the wrong way around. The Good Friday agreement made close cooperation and 'free trade" (of goods and people) between Ireland and Northern Ireland possible/desirable and when the UK left EU this became impossible if there were a border again between North and South. There either had to be a border in or at Irish Sea or in Ireland. Having a border 'within the UK' - in Irish sea - upsets (some) Unionists, having one in Ireland upsets many people on both sides of the community and is against the Good Friday Agreement. Those rioting are, mostly, protestant unionists who have suddenly realised that by supporting Boris they have shot themselves in the foot. Interestingly, a majority of people in Northern Ireland voted to remain in EU and many people warned Boris that his decision to have a Hard Brexit was going to result in exactly what happened.

This from today's Guardian gives some background, https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ls-for-summit-on-violence-in-northern-ireland

Last edited:
You have this the wrong way around. The Good Friday agreement made close cooperation and 'free trade" (of goods and people) between Ireland and Northern Ireland possible/desirable and when the UK left EU this became impossible if there were a border again between North and South. There either had to be a border in or at Irish Sea or in Ireland. Having a border 'within the UK' - in Irish sea - upsets (some) Unionists, having one in Ireland upsets many people on both sides of the community and is against the Good Friday Agreement. Those rioting are, mostly, protestant unionists who have suddenly realised that by supporting Boris they have shot themselves in the foot. Interestingly, a majority of people in Northern Ireland voted to remain in EU and many people warned Boris that his decision to have a Hard Brexit was going to result in exactly what happened.

This from today's Guardian gives some background, https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ls-for-summit-on-violence-in-northern-ireland

By no means unique to this plot of land; but I can never truly grasp sectarianism; nor militant nationalism.

I'm not talking about not having opinions or preferences, or defending one's way of life...........but the idea of seeing people as 'other' first; then always looking at any change as provocation of some kind.

Back