News   Jul 15, 2024
 75     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

John Street Roundhouse: Toronto Railway Heritage Centre, Steam Whistle, The Rec Room

There was a photo to go with the story as well:

c068978b4acca6edfe96dbcafa6b.jpeg

Link to original story.

As someone who opposed this project and after seeing the inside today, I can live with it.

You can walkout stall 32 into the pit area and look into the windows of the store up to stall 18. There are various displays on the history of the waterfront to trains as well the new layout for the Whole roundhouse and lands. I now know where some of the building came from that will be on display.

The staff went out of their way to talk about the history of the roundhouse and the fact that tracks and pits are under the floor that could be put back into service down the road.

Very well done. There is large and small furniture on display.
IMG_july-09-09-0073.jpg

IMG_july-09-09-0074.jpg

IMG_july-09-09-0075.jpg

IMG_july-09-09-0076.jpg

IMG_july-09-09-0077.jpg

Display area and access to the pit area.
IMG_july-09-09-0078.jpg

IMG_july-09-09-0079.jpg

IMG_july-09-09-0080.jpg

IMG_july-09-09-0081.jpg

Under the Cirumstances

If we must tolerate a Leon's or other retail intrusion here, I will credit them with as sympathetic a job of so-doing as one could hope for.....

That's my way of saying, thank goodness its not as bad as I feared! ;)

That said, I still hope, one day, we ditch the Leon's and expand the museum.

But, we still need to put the connecting track to the mainline back! :D

What about that pesky Convention Centre in the way???? Pfft, Convention Centres are a dime a dozen, but not Convention Centres with historic trains running through them! :eek:

I see tourist $$$$ :p

But, we still need to put the connecting track to the mainline back! :D

It really wouldn't be than difficult. By extending the track near the sanding tower they could cross Bremner and curve east to connect to the mainline between the end of the Skywalk and the east edge of the CN Tower building. There is a bit of a pedestrian bridge there which if extended further west, raised slightly more, and if the ground was dug deeper it could allow a train to pass under. If they ever to restore the steam engine to full operation they might want to look at that possibility to avoid the cost of midnight moving trucks.

It really wouldn't be than difficult. By extending the track near the sanding tower they could cross Bremner and curve east to connect to the mainline between the end of the Skywalk and the east edge of the CN Tower building. There is a bit of a pedestrian bridge there which if extended further west, raised slightly more, and if the ground was dug deeper it could allow a train to pass under. If they ever to restore the steam engine to full operation they might want to look at that possibility to avoid the cost of midnight moving trucks.

Yes it would, as the roof of the convention centre ""will"" not support it.

There were plans at one time to operate a stream train from the roundhouse, but got shot down.

How long has there been talk to make this roundhouse come a live???

How fast has it happen with Leon's in the picture??

Great looking reno! Now does anyone know when the park is scheduled to reopen?

The cobblestone area would be a perfect location for a nice little cafe.
One could sit and enjoy a beverage and take in the our beautiful skyline.

Yes it would, as the roof of the convention centre ""will"" not support it.

Why do you say that? How much of the red line on the diagram below would be on top of the convention centre? The yellow is the track already laid which has already had locomotives running on them.

Attachments

• ConnectingTrack.jpg
    ConnectingTrack.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 252
Why do you say that? How much of the red line on the diagram below would be on top of the convention centre? The yellow is the track already laid which has already had locomotives running on them.

Take a look at what under that red line. The roof beams will not support the weight let alone the columns and they are all precast.

When this section was built, the cost to build the roof to support any train was double/triple the cost of what there now.

Ah well

The Convention Cenre is ugly anyway, inside and out.

Reminds me of any 1970's era airport terminal except w/o the charm!

:D

I say we just tear the thing down in favour of the track connection! Then we can build a new convention center; designed by Alsop, on stilts over the railway tracks!

:eek:

Ok, I'm having too much fun with this.

Take a look at what under that red line. The roof beams will not support the weight let alone the columns and they are all precast.

The yellow lines are the ones they already laid and they are mostly on top of the convention centre. I'm fairly certain that the green boundary on the image I provided marks the approximate limits of the convention centre. The CN Tower property doesn't have the convention centre under it. The parking access stairs at the sanding tower stick out beyond the western edge of the convention centre but the tracks they have already laid and set the steam engine on stick out beyond that boundary. Unless you are suggesting the yellow lines (existing tracks) have been stupidly put in a place where there is a risk of collapse I don't understand the concern about the red line not having adequate support. Are the people who approved moving the steam engine to Roundhouse Park and who have put it on the turntable and side tracks risking convention goer lives? :confused:

Not happy about this, but to their credit they didn't mess with the original structure, and the store could easily be converted into a railway museum in the future (if the city ever gets its head out of its ass)

The Roundhouse Park seems to be moving on at a good pace, though there are no signs yet saying "Opening Soon". I guess they probably can't open it until everything is pretty much done to avoid injury and, god knows, in case the Ontario Safety League or Mr Wave Deck Hurt my Leg get on their case!

The old concrete coaling tower (with the Leons sign in the photos above) looks much better and I assume that someone (City, Leons, Railway Museum folk) will eventually fix the broken windows. While it would have been good to have ALL Of the Roundhouse as a rail museum - attached to a brewery! - I think the Leons is not too intrusive and, as noted above, if/when they move it can all be returned to "sheds".

Back