News   Jul 16, 2024
 165     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 920     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

John Barber: NDP serves only to give victories to Tories

It's more complicated than that. To a large extent, the oilsands have created the economic malaise that central Canada is suffering from. This is due to the inflationary nature of an industry that is unresponsive to domestic interest rates and the upward pressure on exchange rates caused by exporting tens of billions of dollars in oil.

It's more complicated than that. To a large extent, the oilsands have created the economic malaise that central Canada is suffering from. This is due to the inflationary nature of an industry that is unresponsive to domestic interest rates and the upward pressure on exchange rates caused by exporting tens of billions of dollars in oil.

I'd agree for the long run...but in the short term Alberta might save our ass....just as they did in early 2000s when we sat out the US recession.

I really rather doubt that. Alberta, if anything, might help the government stay in the black. It won't do much to help the economies of Quebec and Ontario.

It will push up the average economic growth for the country, but not help the country's economy overall. A subtle difference?

The problem is if we stop, the price of oil will go up so much that any environmental benefits would negated by devastating economic fallout.

Plus, the country will likely start to suffer serious negative growth and there will be a serious problem to the provincial money transfers.

Extract Alberta -- and the Oil Sands -- from of Canada, and you can kiss Canada as you know it goodbye.

Oh please.

First off, talk about Alberta separation is quite hypothetical. There is a difference between maintaining a province and maintaining a nation. Threats of separation are used as a means to extract concessions from the federal government. Second, losing Alberta oil will not dissolve the national economy. It would have an impact, but it's not like we get to buy Alberta oil at a discounted rate.

Well it's interesting to read the polls...virtually all have the Liberals down in the mid-20s. Everyone has the Tories and NDP in more or less the same place, except for Nanos, who has the Liberals higher...but this is at the expense of the Greens and not the NDP.

One thing this demonstrates is that leadership matters. We kept hearing how the Libs and Tories were neck in neck, but then once the election starts people start paying more attention and stop just opting for the Liberal brand and realize that is the Liberal Party led by Stephane Dion.

imo if any other person was in charge of the liberals the race would be neck to neck.

There are a lot of undecideds, as well.

Mandeep: the other two options for leader, either Rae or Ignatieff, have their own Achilles heel. At this point, Dion can borrow their strength, while attacks on those two (as Jason Kenney attempted the other day) hardly garner much attention.

Apparently a great deal of Harper support in Quebec is very soft. A slip up, even a relatively mild one, could send those voters elsewhere.

Rae or Ignatieff

they are not wimps and they would have energized the Liberal party.

Iganatieff imo has a strong image and can articulate complicated polices and be a populist.

Chretien fires up Liberals whenever he speaks and these two can as well.

Imo the lack of proper communication is hurting the Liberal party the most.

Even still I expect a closer race ahead and as more people take the election seriously, there will be a tightening of the race.

If Harper looks he will win a majority I expect a scramble vote by the left benefiting the Liberals.

Iganatieff imo has a strong image and can articulate complicated polices and be a populist.

Ignatieff a populist??? He has about as much of a common touch as John Kerry. He lived out of the country for 30 years and then showed up and expected to be leader. I think the Tories would have an easy time painting him as an out of touch intellectual who can't resonate with regular Canadians.

Rae is patrician as well, but he does have more experience on the campaign trail. I think he would have been the strongest choice.

Ignatieff a populist??? He has about as much of a common touch as John Kerry. He lived out of the country for 30 years and then showed up and expected to be leader. I think the Tories would have an easy time painting him as an out of touch intellectual who can't resonate with regular Canadians.

He is doing a better job then Dion!!!

True he is a smug elitist looking guy (so was a PM who rules for 16 years) but if you can argue the Issues well and keep an image of being strong you can win and Trudeau and Pearson showed that.

Anti-Intellectualism is strong here in Canada, but imo not as powerful as down South.

He would have rallied the Liberals and it would be a much closer race no doubt.

Back