News   Jul 16, 2024
 187     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 323     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

John Barber: NDP serves only to give victories to Tories

I'm finding it rather disturbing how much the police are being used to stop the media from asking questions of candidates in this election.

At one point, a Conservative staffer ordered RCMP officers to forcibly detain reporters attempting to question Dona Cadman, a CPC candidate. An RCMP spokesperson claimed that this action was taken to protect the Prime Minister, which is odd, because he wasn't present when the event occurred. I sense something very disturbing about all of this.

Beyond that, a gag has apparently been placed on all Tory candidates. Only the PM and cabinet ministers are available for media questioning. And when those individuals are posed certain questions, they have been referring the media to government agencies/ministries. Interestingly, those government agencies have been slapped with a gag order, instructed to refuse media requests until the election is resolved.

Does anyone find this kind of behaviour acceptable, or terribly encouraging?

From the Star:

Harper a man who 'lives in a bubble'

Tory campaign goes to extraordinary lengths keeping him from public
September 25, 2008
Richard Brennan
Tonda MacCharles
Joanna Smith
OTTAWA BUREAU

OTTAWA–Prime Minister Stephen Harper is shielded from the public as he criss-crosses the country, campaigning in a political bubble.

No handshakes on street corners or rallies in the parks. Only highly staged backdrops for his daily political message, and assemblies where Tory staffers and security officers closely monitor the crowds.

It's a classic "front-runner" technique – a safe, tightly scripted and controlled campaign – taken to a whole new level.

Rallies are off-limits for any member of the public who just shows up. Nobody gets in unless they have been pre-registered by the local riding association. Even local media are asked to sign up in advance.

Anyone wanting to attend an event featuring Harper has to have his or her name vetted by the RCMP, said a source at Conservative campaign headquarters, who would only talk on background yesterday. He said this rule applies even outside the campaign period, so no one – even a staffer not scheduled to be there – can show up unannounced at a Harper speech and expect to be let in.

The Harper campaign keeps a short leash on national and local media, limiting questions and access to local candidates, sometimes calling on RCMP security to block reporters from doing their jobs.

Harper "hides from Canadians. He lives in a bubble," Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion said last night in Winnipeg.

Tensions peaked Tuesday night in Surrey, B.C., when Conservatives called on the RCMP to shield Harper and local candidate Dona Cadman after a partisan rally.

Cadman, a candidate in Surrey North, has been mum since alleging months ago that top party officials offered her dying husband, independent MP Chuck Cadman, a $1 million life-insurance policy if he would cast his vote to topple the former Paul Martin Liberal government in May 2005.

When reporters tried to speak to Cadman this week, Harper's staff ordered the RCMP to block journalists, and she was whisked away.

"Keep them out!" an aide shouted to the police officers.

Harper spokesperson Kory Teneycke said there was no need for the national media to interview local candidates. "Local candidates' priority is in the local ridings and not talking to the national media," he said.

RCMP spokesperson Sgt. Sylvie Tremblay denied any interference.

"In no way were the officers assigned to protect the Prime Minister attempting to interfere with journalists trying to interview Ms. Cadman," she wrote in an email yesterday, explaining they were just trying to make sure Harper was able to leave the area safely.

But Harper had already left when it happened.

It was not the first time the campaign team had been quick to call for help.

In the campaign's opening days, when reporters at a photo opportunity in St. Eustache, Que., wanted to question Harper about his decision to suspend communications director Ryan Sparrow over a partisan jab at a dead soldier's father, a senior Tory communications official ordered the RCMP to get "that camera out of here." RCMP pushed the reporters back.

Last week, in Kitchener, the RCMP blocked about a dozen Canadian Auto Workers members protesting Harper's failure to aid jobless manufacturing workers.

Last night, Dion said Harper is keeping himself isolated from regular Canadians.

"He cannot stand talking to people who do not share his right-wing opinions. He used the RCMP to hide from the media," Dion told supporters in Winnipeg.

Tremblay said the RCMP officers are mandated to ensure the personal safety of the Prime Minister, and, during a federal election campaign, leaders of all parties with official status. She said measures are constantly reviewed, but security reasons prevented her from divulging rules of engagement.

Tremblay also said RCMP media liaison officers join reporters on the Harper tour to facilitate media access "in secure areas."

The Conservatives also restrict public access to local candidates.

Conservative candidates may give interviews with local media on local issues only. If reporters seek comment on national issues, they must go through the national campaign spokespeople instead.

The other campaigns, including Dion's and NDP Leader Jack Layton's, are far less restrictive, sometimes delivering announcements or holding rallies in parks or on street corners.

The Liberals say their doors are open.

"Wide open. Even had a heckler at the event in Calgary where 600 people showed up the other night. And unlike Harper we didn't have the RCMP remove the person. ... We don't ask for ID at the door. Come one, come all," Liberal spokesperson Mark Dunn said.

A handful of protesters showed up at an NDP rally in Edmonton Saturday to express disagreement with Layton's proposal to allow provinces and cities to ban handguns.

The RCMP asked them to leave a room, but allowed the protesters to stay when several other reporters – some with television cameras – arrived to see what was going on. An NDP media officer said later she was surprised when she learned security had tried to get them to leave.

"As long as they don't disrupt, people are allowed to be there and participate in the democratic process," NDP spokesperson Karl Belanger said.

A protester did manage to get into a Harper rally in Rockland, Ont., last week. Mounties pounced when Joel Harden stood up and called on Harper to stay the deportation of American war resister Jeremy Hinzman.

Harden was hustled out and ordered off hotel property onto the road, as were the reporters who wanted to interview him.

Hey Keith, here a constitutional problem that came to my mind recently...

In Canada if two parties get 120 seats (240 seats) and the other two parties get 35 each (remaining 70 seats)?

What happens....

I assume no result and the Governor General would have to do something unexpected like intervening and forcing an election?

I am not a constitutional lawyer but I'd say it would still be upto the parties to try and form a coalition. Failing that, I wonder if there is a role for the senate or perhaps the GG to declare a government...for example declaring continuity (as a base principle) of the current government....for example.

I'll call the more realistic scenario....everyone will be courting defectors....to get on top of the seat count....and someone will walk out of that fracas with the throne....more than likely it'd be the Conservatives with Dion at the Liberal helm. But if it was Chretien....oh man.....watch for the pepper spray!

The incumbent government gets right of first refusal to form government. If they can't maintain confidence or they decline, it goes to the party with the next largest number of seats. If there are more than one such party (a tie), that might get interesting, but it is exceedingly unlikely.

The incumbent government gets right of first refusal to form government. If they can't maintain confidence or they decline, it goes to the party with the next largest number of seats. If there are more than one such party (a tie), that might get interesting, but it is exceedingly unlikely.

Green-Conservative coalition perhaps? hahaha. Income splitting, a carbon tax and carbon trading scheme....

May has already essentially said that CPC is the party she would be least amenable to support.

Out of curiosity, Keith, where did that mandeep quote come from? Another thread?

May has already essentially said that CPC is the party she would be least amenable to support.

Out of curiosity, Keith, where did that mandeep quote come from? Another thread?

yeah yeah I know May's view....just saying though....platform wise the Greens could easily line up with Conservatives or the Liberals...not the NDP.

Mandeep's quote was from earlier in this thread.

I was thinking of in the US how it can be a tie and there are so many backups.

However if there a tie, I could find nothing and imo perhaps the only solution is the GG to get directly involved (first time since the King-Byng crisis), and force another election.

Major problem to that is if Canada faces a crisis during this time of political deadlock.

I don't think we'd have another election without someone governing for a while at least. Note that there wouldn't be a tie in the HoC, as the Speaker breaks ties, so the number of voting MPs is 307, an odd number.

hello, how can anyone agree to a speaker first of all, if they knew he would break the vote.

You get 2 candidates for the speaker or 4, and were in the same situation...

I do believe in our parliamentary traditions, a tie favours continuity. I think the government would have to offer a vote of confidence, if it falls, then another election. The other parties would face the wrath of the electorate for having an election so quickly, hence the disincentive to do that. But I think the governing party gets the chance to keep going if they have the confidence of the house.

There is no requirement that there be another election. That is only necessary if no one can secure the confidence of the house. If the government fails, the opposition can opt to take a crack at it.

Getting back to the topic at hand...

It's start to look like the NDP might be the real alternative to the Conservatives....particularly in places like BC....Barber might be wrong on this one.

...but maybe "to a fault", which still arguably vindicates Barber's point.

It's a little like Reform/Alliance supplanting the PCs as the "real alternative" to the Liberals in the 90s, which pretty much assured the Liberals 4eva (however long 4eva was)

So the Liberals will pick up in Atlantic Canada.

The Block look like they have taken back Quebec.

NDP look to take many other seats from the Liberals which really does not help Harper.

So is Harper expecting to win likw 20-25 seats in Ontario alone?

The polls now show NDP @ 20% and the Liberals @ 22. I think Layton has a real chance at taking this one as leader of the opposition.... and I can frankly see the Liberals and NDP pinning their noses and taking the plunge into a coalition – anything to stop Harper from continuing his disastrous policies.

Back