News   May 03, 2024
 950     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 579     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 279     0 

Islington Village / Six Points (Etobicoke)

Well, the Bloor Kingsway strip strikes me as one of the last places where an old-school Swiss Chalet actually passes as "destination eating", like it were still 1975 or something. (Kinda sweet, though. Who needs Jack Astors...)

Oh, BTW. And a few doors away, the Crooked Cue is where Steve Harper had his Richview 50th class reunion...

Heh, I know people of a certain age from the Kingsway who swear by that Swiss Chalet for dinner out...in some ways it's amazing that strip opened up for something as alien as sushi. :D I remember going to Miller's awhile back.

I'm really hoping both the Six Points changes will improve the area and the traffic flow. The Etobicoke Centre plan sounds great if they actually go forward with it. I'm also hopeful about the upcoming renovations to the Islington subway station--too bad that engineering company Lavalin pulled out of setting up shop there.

But overall the area might look much better and more cohesive five years from now if these plans don't get shelved or radically altered.

Hi, I've only lived here for 2 years, I live in the Dundas/Maybelle community and I LOVE Islington Village other than there being NO grocery store, I make the trek to the No Frills at Honeydale. I'm Legally blind and I love the path through the parkinglot, it is easy to navigate for me with my little buggy and my white cane...
I love this area and am glad to have moved here from Downtown Hamilton..

One thing to note is that as of November 23rd the bus service will get better around here.....
BOTH the 30 Lambton and 50 Burnhamthrope are getting more service and LONGER service hours...
http://ttc.ca for more info (look for the Service Summery)

You could go get tattoed at Tat-A-Rama. it's right behind Apache burger been there 15 years at least.

Hi, I've only lived here for 2 years, I live in the Dundas/Maybelle community and I LOVE Islington Village other than there being NO grocery store, I make the trek to the No Frills at Honeydale. I'm Legally blind and I love the path through the parkinglot, it is easy to navigate for me with my little buggy and my white cane...
I love this area and am glad to have moved here from Downtown Hamilton..

One thing to note is that as of November 23rd the bus service will get better around here.....
BOTH the 30 Lambton and 50 Burnhamthrope are getting more service and LONGER service hours...
http://ttc.ca for more info (look for the Service Summery)

Glad to hear you love the area. I've dropped in on a number of occasions to get a feel for the place and really like it.

Moonmoth wrote:
You could go get tattoed at Tat-A-Rama. it's right behind Apache burger been there 15 years at least.

Hmmm...should I get a Westwood Theatre tattoo for old times' sake?

Last edited:
Hi, I've only lived here for 2 years, I live in the Dundas/Maybelle community and I LOVE Islington Village other than there being NO grocery store, I make the trek to the No Frills at Honeydale.

For the little stuff there's always RABBA.

It's too bad, because there was a Food Basics in the area until not too long ago.

Hmm, not sure that there ever was anything "iconic" about that Westwood Theatre sign; it was a pretty standard pylon. :rolleyes: The building itself, on the other hand, is achieving "iconic" status just by virtue of the fact that it continues to stand, long after its use ceased. Forlorn in the middle of a weed field, it symbolizes something or other.

I like this area, actually. It's not too far from where I live and I find myself there several times per week. It has a nice feel, in the little business district along Dundas west of Islington. Not pretentious, just a good little neighbourhood shopping area.

Buschic: You mention that you are legally blind. I have noted a high number of blind people on sidewalks in the Islington Village area. I have never figured out the reason for that. Can you enlighten me?

Improvements to the #50 bus will be welcomed by many, I am sure. A large chunk of Etobicoke along Burnhamthorpe has had no bus service at all after 10 pm., for years now. It's a low-density area, but still ... It must be frustrating to those people to watch the Mississauga buses pass by. They won't pick up in Etobicoke.

Hmm, not sure that there ever was anything "iconic" about that Westwood Theatre sign; it was a pretty standard pylon. :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about the pylon, I'm talking about the neon lettering atop the theatre itself. (Can't remember whether it's still there or not.)

Such little talk about Etobicoke eh?

Guys why is it that Etobicoke has some of the highest house hold incomes but such a small tight knit retail sector. Its pretty much just cloverdale, sherway and maybe that new queensway commons area.....

Such little talk about Etobicoke eh?

Guys why is it that Etobicoke has some of the highest house hold incomes but such a small tight knit retail sector. Its pretty much just cloverdale, sherway and maybe that new queensway commons area.....

It has the lowest population density in the former Metro and you're overlooking the important corridors like Lakeshore, Bloor, and Dundas, which are lined with retail. Many residents are used to driving and likely often go to Mississauga and downtown for shopping.

I was watching the community spirit of The Junction residents as they rallied to save their local post office from closure over the last few weeks - good work! and I am glad for all that they were successful!

Yesterday I walked around the corner to the post office at Annette and Jane... and discovered that it was shut and gone! Apparently, the post office closed a couple of months ago with no fanfare or publicity, and the local community is the worst for it, although it is taking us months to realise! :(

I am so embarrassed and a bit cross with myself because I considered myself someone who supported the local businesses - obviously not if I don't notice that they have gone! We have lost a number of small businesses in the are in the last few months, and it is hard to see that trend reverse unless we make the effort to support them...

BWVRA meeting re 2500 - 2490 Bloor development Dec 1st

Reported from http://www.bwvra.ca/:

You are invited to a special meeting regarding the recently completed Bloor West Village Urban Design Charrette seminars. These three brainstorming sessions brought together representatives of several local residents associations, private citizens and professional planners to discuss our community’s vision for the future of Bloor West Village.

The impetus for the Charrette was the application made by the Tridel Corporation to build two large condo towers west of Bloor and Jane on the former Old Mill car dealership site.

As part of the application, Tridel was required to commission several studies that bear on the future of the rest of Bloor West Village. They identified other “soft†sites that are likely to be re-developed in the future; they modeled the sorts of buildings might go on them; they assessed the traffic impact of the Tridel project; and, assessed whether this was likely to set a precedent for height and density in the Village area.

Much information and food for thought came from the Charrette process that we, as participants in it, feel should be shared with you our members.

In attendance will be a member of City of Toronto Planning Department, a representative of Tridel Corporation, and a representative of the Old Mill Residents Association (which has commissioned its own studies in opposition to the Tridel application.)

Time & Place:

Tuesday, December 1st – 7:30pm
Runnymede United Church – 432 Runnymede Rd.
Kingsbury Room (second floor)
(look for the BWVRA sign on the door at the far end of the courtyard.)

We look forward to seeing you. If you have any questions in advance, please contact us at info at bwvra.ca.

Back