News   May 13, 2024
 770     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 752     0 

Islington Subway Station

A new date has been set for the Kipling/Islington Open House and it is April 22 from 4-7pm

It will be held in the concourse level of Islington Station.

Board viewing only.

If you are a GO rider, MT rider not using TTC at the time of the Open House or the public, you will have to pay a TTC fare to view the boards as well talk to staff.

Talk about making money off an Open House.

Another example of the "NEW EA process"

On the other hand, you can go there, attend the open house, and get back where you came from on one fare. Talk about making the open house convenient and possibly cheaper to attend.

Bingo. One TTC fare gets you there and back and it is conveniently located on the subway line. Not only that it is scheduled during evening rush so those people heading to Mississauga from work via the subway can take a look on their way there.

I stopped by last night. The only thing that stood out for me was that the proposed SNC Lavalin building appeared to have a small foot print - no larger than the existing Legion Hall. One of the plans shows new ttc parking surrounding the new building on three sides.

Oh, there was also a new rendering for 2 Dunbloor. Two adjoining cylinders with a dome on the taller. Looked aweful.

I rode my bike to the open house. Didn't have to pay fare to get to the concourse. Just asked the TTC worker by the open gate if I could go through. He nodded and grunted.

I'm dismayed that they will be turning existing greenspaces into parking lots. That small parcel of land at Mabelle and Cordova is going to be paved over, just to bring more cars into the residential neighbourhood. It's already terribly congested sometimes during the morning rush, and to have all these extra cars idling in front of the school is criminal...

They're also planning to turn part of the hydro corridor along Aukland (north of Kipling station) into more parking.

At previous meetings they kept focusing on how this is the new "downtown" Etobicoke, and that surface parking lots don't belong here. I guess they were blowing smoke....

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the whole plan.

-Vic

SNC Lavalin building is DOA.

I have heard for some time Lavalin had pull out of this project and this was confirm at the Open House. It comes as no surprised to me as I said from day one SNC would not build their office there because of lack of free parking.

City staff said Lavalin wanted 1 parking spot for each employee and what a waste. It was also stated Lavalin was not interested in building their own building and wanted someone else to build it.

TTC stills want to try to come up with a plan to build a building for Lavalin as well some goodies for the builder.

There is still no tunnel under the CP tracks to connect the area to the north a lot better than it is today.

MT will still be running their #26 to the station.

At the rate this thing is going, the existing terminal will endup as a parking lot.

There were great cries that there still not going to be more parking spots at both stations.

The city wants to see office buildings for this area, but they are going to have to settle for Condo's. It needs to be taller building than what in the area.

Speaking about condo's building, that condo on the south side is very empty since it was completed last year.

I was looking for more up to date on Kipling, but nothing new was there.

Nice to see the ceiling slats are to go, but the new/reno is going to look cheap.

Canadian Tire store has not lost much business since the new one open on the Queensway and have no plans to close this site down anytime soon to build the condo's on their site. Then, Canadian Tire is not in the business of building condo's.

Too bad the feedback was for more commuter parking, though speaking as a westward 905er I must admit I did enjoy using Islington on weekends to get downtown--always an available parking space.

The final product is a reduction in spaces but the end result is a similar use of the land. By retaining almost 1000 spaces and doing nothing with the demolition of the existing terminal it ultimately keeps the parking wasteland look that it has now--sprawling and too horizontal. As loathe as I am to admit it I think I'd rather see an office building replacing Lavalin than simply retaining and shifting most of the parking spaces. When I see the design I get that country duet in my mind "Islands in the Stream" and I really can't stand Dolly Parton.

After seeing the difference between the Museum Station plans and the final product I don't know whether to cry or be relieved that it doesn't seem like much of a difference between the plan and the final product as far as the interior is concerned. I suppse the new design is more efficient though I never had a problem with the old one. Having one more automated entrance and one less collector's booth certainly can't hurt.

The exterior looks functional but I'll be very surprised if the art space is still around with the final product, even though it would add little to the cost--just one of those TTC-related gut feelings.

And is it my imagination or is it the same hooker hanging around different parts of the Islington Station drawings?

SNC-Lavalin's out.

Backer walks from deal for city's Islington parcel

Apr 25, 2008 04:30 AM
Paul Moloney
city hall bureau

A property deal meant to help finance Islington subway-station upgrades and spur a new city centre for Etobicoke by putting more than 1,000 workers into a new office tower has fallen through.

The city had said a year ago that it expected to receive several million dollars for the site from the Montreal-based engineering firm SNC-Lavalin, which planned to construct a $98 million, 20-storey building there. But the company has since quietly walked away from the project.

"Sure, it was disappointing," said Councillor Peter Milczyn. "Lavalin are precisely the type of business you want."

He said the high-profile engineering firm, which initiated the negotiations, later decided "at a very high corporate level" to continue renting space in this city instead. It's not clear whether Ontario's economic downturn was a factor.

Lavalin spokesperson Gillian MacCormack would not comment on the reasons for the change of heart, saying only that her company is looking at different options for its Toronto office needs.

The withdrawal had no connection to the company's stalled bid to build a high-speed rail link between Union Station and Pearson airport, she said.

(Click above to read full article)

^^^ That's a shock. I thought that the TTC was going to use the proceeds to pay for the renovations. How could they push ahead with those plans without first securing a binding agreement with SNC? What a screw up. This reminds me of the Penequity debacle.

So, instead of urbanizing this major intersections, we're going to have even more asphalt after they demolish the bus bays and legion building? This is very disappointing indeed.

I don't believe that there is an actual development proposal yet for Islington. I think that Build Toronto is preparing to market the property, and that usually involves showing possible building footprints, just to showcase how it could be done. The reference to Kipling Station is about the new inter-regional bus terminal there, which will house most of Mississauga's bus routes and allow the Islington bus terminal to be downsized. As far as I know, Metrolinx is supposed to be building the new regional bus terminal at Kipling this year.

I really thought the city was going to reserve most of this lot for office development, as part ofthe long term strategy of transforming ECC into a "downtown west"...

I really thought the city was going to reserve most of this lot for office development, as part ofthe long term strategy of transforming ECC into a "downtown west"...

As per above. SNC Lavalin was going to develop the office tower and consolidate it's offices there. They've since backed out and now we are left with condo development.

As per above. SNC Lavalin was going to develop the office tower and consolidate it's offices there. They've since backed out and now we are left with condo development.

Is SNC still planning on developing an office tower elsewhere now ?

Back