News   May 28, 2024
 763     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 440     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 796     1 

Islington Subway Station

I see no reason to believe any TTC-built LRT would have any better on-time performance than the current TTC streetcar system.

It's probably because you see the LRT as an upgraded streetcar.

Most, if not all of Toronto's Eglinton LRT system will be a decidated line with no car traffic interference. This section will more act as a smaller subway system.

listen, since you know that is not true, can you please stop posting such garbage.

If everyone would stop fawning over Transit City then maybe I'd be able to stop bashing the stupid useless plan it was.

If everyone would stop fawning over Transit City then maybe I'd be able to stop bashing the stupid useless plan it was.
And you think the replacement plan is better? Compared to the replacement plan (which for most users is to simply taking the existing buses), Transit City is brilliant.

Considering all the stuff they're building there, and East Mall extension makes so much sense. Unfortunately, the TTC has inexplicably decided that all subways must now be built underground. There's no reason why they couldn't do the whole thing for <$100 million, running on the surface and perhaps either expropriating a bit of a condo's driveway or shifting the mainline tracks slightly. Instead, the TTC decides that building on the surface in a rail corridor, as they did 15 years ago from Islington to Kipling, is impossible.

Switching to Islington, or at least the Western end of the B-D line (Sheppard can be discussed elsewhere), would there be any interest in extending the B-D line at this time. Much of the Ford transit plans focus on the East, and this would be an inexpensive addition to show Etobicoke that they are not left out.

Would a station at East Mall be at the CPR or somehow closer to Dundas and Cloverdale Mall?

Switching to Islington, or at least the Western end of the B-D line (Sheppard can be discussed elsewhere), would there be any interest in extending the B-D line at this time. Much of the Ford transit plans focus on the East, and this would be an inexpensive addition to show Etobicoke that they are not left out.

Would a station at East Mall be at the CPR or somehow closer to Dundas and Cloverdale Mall?

Doesn't that depend on the Bloor line's ultimate destination? If it's continuing along Dundas, then Cloverdale. If it is going to Sherway, then East Mall.

The old plans showed the extension to Sherway and then Dixie GO.

Doesn't that depend on the Bloor line's ultimate destination? If it's continuing along Dundas, then Cloverdale. If it is going to Sherway, then East Mall.

The old plans showed the extension to Sherway and then Dixie GO.

If the final destination is Cloverdale, then I suppose you would have to somehow tunnel up to Dundas - but maybe just following the CPR line with a station at East Mall and CPR would be much easier (and cheaper) and people could tolerate the +/-500m walk to Cloverdale. I am sure if this happened, some re-developement would happen so that Cloverdale would not be the only destination in the area.

Getting across 427 appears to be a bit harder as I do not think there is room through the railway bridge under 427, so it would have to be tunnelled under 427. However, from Sherway, you can still get to Dixie GO, Dundas or Queensway in Mississauga if needed with probably less overall tunnelling (and not much greater length) than following the route entirely along Dundas.

I do not see any real benefit to the Dundas route.

At this present time, the only way the BD can be extended west of Kipling is under Dundas, as there is no room in the rail corridor for it.

By putting it up on Dundas to Cloverdale, it does a number of things. (1) A new inter-region transit hub can be built at Cloverdale, as well a larger transit terminal for TTC since Kipling is too small. (2) It will connect to the plan redevelopment where Basic Food is as well Honeydale Mall. (3) help to redevelop Dundas 100%.

The debate where the line goes west can continue, but I don't see it going to Sherway or the plan location at Dixie.

The whole section from Kipling to Dixie along Dundas is crying out for help. The Mississauga section is a blight. If plan right, it can house close to 200,000 residents plus 30,000 employment jobs.

If you look at the rail ROW on either side of 427, there is only enough room for 4 tracks and that will be used by CP and GO.

At this present time, the only way the BD can be extended west of Kipling is under Dundas, as there is no room in the rail corridor for it.
Looking at the airphoto in Google Maps, there isn't much north of the rail alignment except parking, and perhaps one or two building corner, to East Mall. I'd think expropriation of a corridor north of the tracks might be an option.

I think the first question, if it ever proceeds, is where do you want it go ... how it can actually get there should be secondary.

Looking at the airphoto in Google Maps, there isn't much north of the rail alignment except parking, and perhaps one or two building corner, to East Mall. I'd think expropriation of a corridor north of the tracks might be an option.

I think the first question, if it ever proceeds, is where do you want it go ... how it can actually get there should be secondary.

Where it ends up is clear--at least in my mind: it has to go to MCC/Square One. Does it have to go to Sherway? I don't know. I think it should, and that was always the plan. But should it? I think the TTC would have to do some more detailed study to figure that out.

Where it ends up is clear--at least in my mind: it has to go to MCC/Square One. Does it have to go to Sherway? I don't know. I think it should, and that was always the plan. But should it? I think the TTC would have to do some more detailed study to figure that out.

Even if it end up only at East Mall, it still would be more convenient for the many connecting bus routes. (It may spread the load out as well with GO transferring at Kipling and buses at East Mall). This still leaves many options open for extension since even Mississauga, I think, has no desire for it to be extended in the near or medium term.

I agree that a bit of expropriation (on the north side) is still significantly less expensive than tunneling. It seems that TTC has forgotten how to build subway at grade, and forgotten how to build at less cost.

Did that map tell you there is a Condo tower building directly in the path of your line with a 5% plus grade to get under it if not more?

The new bridges to go over the existing roads will reduce the clearance height to the point that transport trucks will not be able to use those roads and that's a no go since they service the industrious south of the tracks.

The plan has been to go to Cloverdale first and then Sherway and ending up at Dixie. Never support the line to Sherway from day one. Looking at Dixie location, it creates a 10 minute walk to get to the Dundas buses just like getting to the GO Station. They are building a new Walmart next to the station. That's a 7-10 minute walk from Dundas with a 5-8 minute walk to Dixie. If you use transit to these locations, have fun in the winter getting to it as they are built for cars only.

By expropriating the existing land north of the tracks will cause a blight for decades until new development take place. A number of plans over the years has surface for these lands, but all have die or put back on the back burner. Canadian Tire land was to see condos, but disappear after the new store open on the Queensway, as it never lost the business that was expected with the opening of the new store.

Honeydale and the Basic Food lands will get develop long before the rest of the land to Kipling.

Based on what being built around Sherway and the thinking of pulling calls off the QEW for a Sherway Station, ridership will be poor.

Back