News   May 31, 2024
 1K     8 
News   May 31, 2024
 3.6K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1K     0 

Is Toronto's Building Boom Going Too Far?

Let me tell you something. There is a woman that I know very well (she is a former classmate of mine in the undergrad geography department when I was a U of T student). She is taking the landscape architecture program at U of T (Master's program). She is a regular at said university's Cities' Centre as well.

I don't know where the idea came from that because few women fetish tall buildings that they aren't into cities. Women are the largest segment of urban dwellers and single women are the fastest growing demographic of the downtown urban population. Women and particularly single women are revolutionizing and transforming our urban environment. It could even be the case that women are driving the condo-ization of the city. I just haven't met many, and when I say many I'm being diplomatic because the truth from my personal experience is really any, that like skyscrapers.

Toronto Life has a very eye opening article about the condo industry in Toronto and I find it rather depressing. I was shocked to read how much profit these developers are making from a single condo tower. (40 MILLION dollars or more) That's crazy! And these guys cheap out on the smallest things? What developers are allowed to get away with just blows my mind but the article does say they gave almost 10 million dollars of donations to the Conservative and Liberal parties, (almost nothing to NDP lol) so I guess I shouldn't be too shocked. I still think it's wrong to let developers build such shoddy products.

If you are planning to buy a condo in Toronto, I advise you guys to read the article or if you just want to learn how screwed up things are. The greed is out of control.
http://www.torontolife.com/daily/informer/from-print-edition-informer/2012/07/24/faulty-towers/

Read it and weep.

Last edited:
Toronto Life has a very eye opening article about the condo industry in Toronto and I find it rather depressing. I was shocked to read how much profit these developers are making from a single condo tower. (40 MILLION dollars or more) That's crazy! And these guys cheap out on the smallest things? What developers are allowed to get away with just blows my mind but the article does say they gave almost 10 million dollars of donations to the Conservative and Liberal parties, (almost nothing to NDP lol) so I guess I shouldn't be too shocked. I still think it's wrong to let developers build such shoddy products.

If you are planning to buy a condo in Toronto, I advise you guys to read the article or if you just want to learn how screwed up things are. The greed is out of control.
http://www.torontolife.com/daily/informer/from-print-edition-informer/2012/07/24/faulty-towers/

Read it and weep.

wow, how sad and scary ... and there's alot more of it. i really recommend reading the article:

Last summer, a man I’ll call Jeff moved into a brand new 800-square-foot Liberty Village condo with concrete floors and a west-facing window wall. This was his second condo, and he was one of the first to move into his new tower. At first it seemed perfect, though he noticed some cut corners: the epoxy coating on the cement floor was laid only after his kitchen was installed, for example. “The floor beneath my cabinets is just unvarnished concrete,” he says. “If I ever want to remodel my kitchen, that will be a problem.” But he wasn’t planning on remodelling the kitchen any time soon. If that was the extent of his condo’s problems, he could live with it. It only took a few days of summer sun to discover a far more serious problem. “The entire window wall system expands in the heat, to the point where it actually moves away from the interior wall,” says Jeff. To be more precise: as it expands it bows outwards and separates from his interior wall, creating a lengthy floor-to-ceiling crack where the drywall meets the window wall frame. At the peak of the summer heat, the space between his interior wall and window wall grew to a full inch or more—enough room for him to put his finger through.

... Jeff’s problem is worse than that. His window wall is malfunctioning mere months after completion. “I don’t know if the problem is due to poor workmanship or poor design,” he says. “But I would expect that it doesn’t comply with the building code. And I don’t know how to address the problem without tearing out my entire exterior wall.” He says he’s not worried that his window will pop out and fall if he leans on it, but he is worried that water is going to get in behind it and cause further damage.

I was shocked to read how much profit these developers are making from a single condo tower. (40 MILLION dollars or more) That's crazy!

Is it, though? Let's see, a typical codo tower is what? 400 units? Assuming that Toronto Life is correct, that's $100k profit per unit on a selling price of roughly $500k per unit, or a 20% profit margin. But it takes years to build a condo tower. The money to build it is spent gradually as the land is acquired, the pit is excavated, and the tower rises and is fitted out. I would guess that on average, a dollar spent building the tower is tied up for two years before it makes a return, so the profit rate would be about 10% per year. That sounds quite reasonable to me.

Last edited:
condo towers are often $200+ million dollar sinkholes until they open. you need HUGE capital to build one, something most people simply can't do. the risk of sinking that much money into something is quite large, and they need a sizable payout for it to be worthwhile.

I don't see a problem with a developer making good profit on a building, I don't have a problem with any company making a good profit selling their goods or services. What I do have a problem with are the corners that are cut building many of these condos, lowest bidding contractors who do a substandard job and how the condo owner and/or the Corporation is on the hook to fight to fix the problems once the building is handed over to a new Board of Directors. Do people really demand floor to ceiling glass windows or is this the cheapest method of cladding a building? I certainly don't want that, never did. Installing a Property Manager for the first year who has more of an interest of the developer in mind than the building itself is a conflict, I saw how this can be a problem first hand in my first two condos. Filling the seats on the board at Tarion with developers? Come on!

On an unrelated matter (I couldn't find this anywhere) a piece in today's Toronto Star on the city's glass condos - http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edit...ck-toronto-s-glass-condo-towers-cast-a-shadow

Last edited:
Another look at the building boom, using population projections and units built (emphasis mine):

"Housing Growth is On Track with the Forecasts: The 2005 forecast anticipates that 322,000 housing units will be required to accommodate the forecasted population growth between 2001 and 2031. The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) reported that 127,500 units were built between 2001 and 2011. This is 40% of the required units and leaves a balance of 194,500 units to achieve that forecast. In the five years from 2007 to 2011 inclusive, the City received 1,871 development proposals representing 151,900 units. Of these, about 80,100 units are approved or have building permits issued. This represents a further 25% of the required units.

Together, this is almost two-thirds of the units required to accommodate the forecasted population by 2031 with 18 years remaining in that forecast period.

Of the balance of 194,000 units anticipated to be required after 2011, over forty percent of the units are either already approved or have building permits issued. Toronto is well on its way to housing the population forecasted by the Growth Plan to 2031. The revised forecast anticipates that the average number of persons per household will be higher than previously expected, so that despite the higher population forecast, the number of dwelling units required to accommodate that population by 2031 will be slightly lower than the current forecast."

via http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.PG20.8

Further info: https://www.placestogrow.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=318&Itemid=14

Last edited:
To bad employment forcasts are more than 250,000 behind.

+1

The condo boom is also wreaking havoc on the rental market. Toronto's vacancy rate is is ridiculously low and developers are not building rental units to compensate because it isn't as profitable as condos. Then you have to deal with the whole investor buys condo-rents it out at insane rate phenomenon that pushes the rental market ever upward. Can't wait for the market to crash and end this nonsense.

I want the market to crash completely and end all of this building in downtown Toronto now, myself. The boom is just making Toronto bland and boring with all of the retail (mostly chains) that accompany these condos being nothing but corporate chains. If this keeps up, nobody will want to visit downtown Toronto in the future, because everything will be as bland as most shopping malls (I'm thinking about the replacing of the restaurants near TIFF Bell Lightbox with condos especially.) If the condo developers want to build these behemoths, build them in Scarborough/North York/Etobicoke/East York where the need for density is greatest.

Read it and weep.

Wow. That really was an eye opener. And another good reason why I'm sticking to renting a condo instead of buying one right now.

Back