News   Jul 16, 2024
 76     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 826     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 959     1 

Is there some kind of fly / bug invasion going on last week or so ?

Today (Tuesday) was about the worse day of the season, they were on the ceiling today and in my face. I wonder if the rain on Monday had something to do with it.

Today (Tuesday) was about the worse day of the season, they were on the ceiling today and in my face. I wonder if the rain on Monday had something to do with it.

Yup, that's exactly what they love doing, clinging around the ceiling, windows, and then attacking you as soon as you come out the door. But I found that they only attack you for about a minute, then they get bored and go back to hanging around. I was able to hang around outside and was not attacked after awhile, but they've gotten inside, too, somehow, I think through the spaces between the screens, yuck, going to have to clean up big time.

They are legion. And the spiders on my terrace just make it worse by collecting them by the thousands into big black chunks of hanging web.

Yup, that's exactly what they love doing, clinging around the ceiling, windows, and then attacking you as soon as you come out the door. But I found that they only attack you for about a minute, then they get bored and go back to hanging around. I was able to hang around outside and was not attacked after awhile, but they've gotten inside, too, somehow, I think through the spaces between the screens, yuck, going to have to clean up big time.

Yip, that's exactly what they do! I think they get in when opening & closing the balcony door, perhaps there's even a few on us when we come inside too. They always seem to make it all the way over to my bedroom and fly in front of my PC monitor - like right NOW!

Something like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chironomidae

I get them all over the rooftop patio of my building in the spring and fall. They make it impossible to spend more than a few seconds up on the roof before running back inside. Sometimes they're so thick you can breathe them in. :(

Wikipedia comes through again. Those are the exact critters I've had swarming my deck for the past three days. Fortunately, they don't feed on blood or any other human extract, and are short lived and rather harmless. I suppose one could feel happy that so many of god's little creatures are getting a chance to experience life on Earth in all its fleeting glory.

Is this a problem again this year? I just moved into my new place facing the lake and one of my favourite features of my new loft is the huge balcony. Well, I haven't been able to use it yet because there are millions of these things on the screen door. Any tips? I'm planning to grow plants out there so maybe I can grow something that'll keep them away? I'm also considering getting a bird house. Are there any birds that feed on these things?

They come every year. They will disappear soon. I don't think anything eats them. And don't worry, once they disappear, the spiders will arrive :)

Thanks :) I'm still getting a birdhouse though. I sometimes wake up in the morning with birds chirping but they're gone quickly. I wouldn't mind keeping them around a little longer. Plus... they might eat those spiders ;)

They come every year. They will disappear soon. I don't think anything eats them. And don't worry, once they disappear, the spiders will arrive :)

I was sitting in the new George Brown building on the waterfront today and small birds kept slamming into the windows (but not falling). It took me a while to realize they were just picking off the flies.

I used to have a balcony facing the lake but it was always so full of spiders and these things that I would never feel comfortable in it. Now I still live by the Lake but without a balcony and it's preferable during summer.

I miss a balcony the most during winter.

In my neighbourhood we had an enormous moth problem that started the beginning of Spring. Dozens of these guys got into our houses. You would occasionally spot a few flying outdoors as well.

Good news is that they seem to be dying or moving onto another location. I spotted the first one in a week today. Neighbours are reporting the same!

I'm reading that growing certain herbs like basil or cilantro will keep them away. Good thing I was actually thinking of starting a little herb garden out there. Bird house: check! Herb garden: check!

Nonetheless, PinkLucy is right. They're almost gone. Last week there will millions of them. Today I saw only a few scattered ones. They're harmless though and die off quickly.

They will soon be replaced by millions of spiders and ladybugs that are the direct result of the fly population explosion. These too will fade out as there will not be enough flies to maintain their massive populations.

rabbit4.GIF

Wikipedia comes through again. Those are the exact critters I've had swarming my deck for the past three days. Fortunately, they don't feed on blood or any other human extract, and are short lived and rather harmless. I suppose one could feel happy that so many of god's little creatures are getting a chance to experience life on Earth in all its fleeting glory.

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. They're back. I live near the Don Valley and they're all over my exterior walls, just clinging and waiting for me to open my balcony door.

Back