News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 907     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 569     0 

is racism common in Toronto?

yeah, they already tried to have us live in their basement...they still dream of us one day living next door!

But, more and more, I'm considering living closer.

I don't think that it's racist to want to be with your "own"..it's comfortable

yeah, they already tried to have us live in their basement...they still dream of us one day living next door!

But, more and more, I'm considering living closer.

I don't think that it's racist to want to be with your "own"..it's comfortable

But what if "your own" isn't "your own"? I'm a Canadian of Chinese descent, but have more in common with a Jamaican Canadian (also born here) than someone from rural China.

"your own" means whatever you identify with at any given time, and you can break it down to the most miniscule thing...

male/female
white/asian/black...etc
tall/short

I would assert though, that you would have to have SOME common ground with "your own" for them to see you as part of them.

Proof?

I'm sure you've been to a university cafeteria...I don't think you'll deny that everyone is broken down into somekind of subgroup..it just depends on what you identify more with.

so, if your chinese canadian, why would you ever think you'd have anything in common with a person from rural china?

if you've had a jamaican upbringing, then of course you'd have more in common with a jamaican-canadian

I'm french canadian...I have NOTHING in common with someone from France...

Last edited:
Violence and racial slurs on the rise in kids' hockey

Racial epithets screamed at opposing players, vicious hits to the head, blatant attempts to injure and coaches threatening officials with violence.

Welcome to minor hockey night in the GTA.

A tenfold increase in discriminatory slurs over the past three seasons.

Racist language in minor hockey doesn't always come from players on the ice.

A non-Italian linesman claimed a parent called him a "f---ing wop" and a black referee who disallowed a couple of goals said the parent told him to go back to basketball and football.

Kevin Weekes says the GTHL should go even further.

An NHL goalie for 11 years, the former Toronto Red Wing in the GTHL says the racial harassment he suffered in tournaments as a black youngster was never appropriately penalized.

He recalls parents of opposing players at one tournament yelling the n-word at him as he stood on the ice. In some cases, a chorus would grow as young players joined their parents in the chants.

A three-game suspension is no remedy, says Weekes, who now works as a television commentator.

"It should be 10 or 15 (games)," he says. "We pride ourselves for being a multicultural city but we ... still tolerate this behaviour."

Last edited:
I think Chris Rock said, that when you're mad you're going to call the person you're mad it,..the lowest, meanest thing that you can at the time. Calling somebody a name, doesn't mean you're a racist.

Calling somebody a name, doesn't mean you're a racist.

That's hardly true... Using a derogatory term when talking to someone of a different race, does make you a racist. You can't tell how each word used will affect that person and because you don't have the decency to use other, more appropriate words, you're a racist.

Drone, if this is your belief, please take a trip down Yonge Street, and say hello to everyone of a different race using derogatory racial slangs. By your account they're just words, so noone in passing should react, right?

I never wrote that using derogatory words was right, and that it wouldn't affect people.

I just don't think that calling someone a name out of anger is equatable to being racist

if that were the case, then alot of people would fit in the category of racist, not withstanding race

The attempt to compare my simple post of a comic's interpretation of people using derogatory language in a fit of anger or during a fight and take it to the extreme and have me walking down the street yelling racist slurs at people randomly and not expecting it to affect them is an extrapolation by anybody's standards. That's mud slinging on your part (wait, is mudslinging a "redneck" term, oh, oh, I'm racist.)

Last edited:
I can sort of understand drone's point. It reminds me of the Michael Richards incident. When I was watching it, I felt that he was just so angry at those people who were talking during his show that he wanted to hurt them as much as possible.

I think drone's just saying that a lot of times people get angry and by impulse say the things they think will hurt the other person the most, I'm sure not every person who has gotten angry and called a woman a derogatory term is a sexist.

That said, I don't know if it applies to this story.

I just don't think that calling someone a name out of anger is equatable to being racist

I don't think you can use anger as a crutch though. Employers will fired you on the spot for calling someone a name, for racist and sexist behaviour. Most places have a zero-tolerance, so it doesn't matter if your angry or not.

It is a racist act, however it is equatable to being racist, but not necessarily being a racist.

I agree, but, to some extent I think when you go so far as to equate someone as being racist for using racist terms, or, as above stated, calling someone sexist for using derogatory words to describe women, it's an extrapolation.

This is often a tactic to take things to another level, If I say "Meat is Murder"..then every non-vegetarian is a murderer?

As soon as somebody uses *buzz* words like.. racist! ,sexist! ,nazi!..

it makes everyone listen..

people on the extreme right and left do it all the time, to get attention.

PETA does it in their ads...equating a woman who owns a fur to a brutal murderer is a stretch,but, it catches your eye.

I do agree that places of business are a hot-bed of political correctness, and one has to watch what they say. A Business monitors their workers for appropriate behaviour for fear of lawsuits..not because they are trying to make the world a better place.

Flat out, a racist is a person who deliberately discriminates against another simply because they are from another race.

It's not the guy who's driving behind you and gives you the finger and yells the "N" word as he speeds off that you gotta worry about..it's the employer who quietly tosses out the resume of a black person in favor of a white worker..

Last edited:
I think Chris Rock said, that when you're mad you're going to call the person you're mad it,..the lowest, meanest thing that you can at the time. Calling somebody a name, doesn't mean you're a racist.
Unfortunately, often it does.

When I get pissed at someone, I might call him an @ssh*le, but not a racist name.

Unfortunately, often it does.

When I get pissed at someone, I might call him an @ssh*le, but not a racist name.

I agree. If you're pissed off at someone and racial slurs/comments about their race are the first things that come to mind, this probably means you are a racist at some level. Think about it - whatever they did to piss you off, you immediately jump on their race of all the things you could possibly say to them when race probably played absolutely no part in what they did to you.

There are absolutely no situations where using a racial slur is justified or not racist. When you use them, you are inserting both yourself and the person you're insulting into some idiotic and discredited hierarchy of races in order to assert your superiority over them. By buying into this racial hierarchy, you're buying into racism. It's the same with sexist language, homophobic language, etc. It has absolutely no place in our society.

Does racism exist in Toronto? Of course it does, and it will continue to exist as long as we buy into race. Everyone's racist to some degree - as long as we recognize this as a flaw both in society and in ourselves, we can try and work against it and someday maybe, hopefully, it won't exist any more.

Back