News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 907     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 569     0 

is racism common in Toronto?

my thoughts exactly..even if your grammar wasn't or isn't perfect, and shit, how do I know. Who cares about grammar on some forum site. My point is he didn't even give you a chance to prove yourself. I take it you are chinese-jamaican?

cool my wife is chinese, from Jamaica. I never new chinese community was present in jamaica till I met her.

but, if we are to accept others and be diverse, where do you draw the line?Maybe the poster is from abroad and english skills were hard to come by. Maybe, they are disadvantaged in some way. Should we measure them by them same standards we hold north american born people?

I'm not judging, the recruiter was, and that's perfectly legitimate: it's his/her job. In a position where communication is the principal skill involved, I think that somebody with poor communication skills would obviously be excluded.

and why are you making assumptions about my grammar/spelling? the man never looked at the resume so he had no reason to let me do a personal interview

I'm not making assumptions. I read your post. I can presume though that if he knew people's names in the room, you had to have submitted some sort of application.

From what you describe, there was a pre-screening involved and you didn't make the cut.

I'm making an observation that you demonstrated a lack of qualifications for the job in discussion, which is the likely reason you were excluded, not racism.

I don't look down on you for your poor English. If I went to a country with an official language foreign to me, I'd expect to be disadvantaged when looking for work.

For clarity and to be more general than just CJB's situation, let's go with a more obvious example:

If you're blind and you go to an interview for a position as a Police Special Forces sniper, would you expect your name to be called after the recruiter sees you staring into space with a walking stick by your side?

That's not racism. It's common sense.

Wow what was I thinking when I posted this?! When I said "racist," I really meant "least multicultural and least experience with multiculturalism."

And you'd put Mississauga in that category?! That's absolutely ludicrous.

Allow me to direct you to the 2006 Census Community Profile for Mississauga:

Visible Minority

Immigration & Citizenship

Notice the proportion of 1st and 2nd generation Canadians (according to Statscan, immigrants and those born to immigrants respectively) as well.

And you'd put Mississauga in that category?! That's absolutely ludicrous.

Allow me to direct you to the 2006 Census Community Profile for Mississauga:

Visible Minority

Immigration & Citizenship

Notice the proportion of 1st and 2nd generation Canadians (according to Statscan, immigrants and those born to immigrants respectively) as well.

Just because Mississauga is diverse doesn't mean that people live in neighbourhoods that are diverse OR interact with neighbours that are not from their culture.

I'd really like to see an example of these things you describe, because I very rarely see anything that I'd consider unacceptable.

Do you really want an example? Well, let's just say that the attitudes of Asian parents towards certain races is not very tolerant, and I'll leave it at that.

Oh, I thought that "for the most part" was supposed to imply there was only very little!

I don't know what you were specifically implying, but unless it somehow meant "there actually is a great deal of racism here", it was wrong.

I'm guessing you guys were in high school back then? It's possible that her parents didn't want her dating, PERIOD. Some old fashioned immigrant parents don't believe in dating before university. I also know kids of immigrants (especially Chinese immigrants) who didn't date until they FINISHED their undergrad!

A possibility. However, as a Chinese person with a boyfriend who is not Chinese, I can completely believe the story that the above poster mentioned.

Just because Mississauga is diverse doesn't mean that people live in neighbourhoods that are diverse OR interact with neighbours that are not from their culture.

Except that in reality we all grow up together, go to school together, work together, and interact with each other on a daily basis?

Mississauga isn't Brampton or Markham; ethnicity is fairly evenly distributed and it's harder to hide in one's own cultural circle.

I'm guessing you guys were in high school back then? It's possible that her parents didn't want her dating, PERIOD. Some old fashioned immigrant parents don't believe in dating before university. I also know kids of immigrants (especially Chinese immigrants) who didn't date until they FINISHED their undergrad!

Ok. That is fine that some parents don't want their kids dating at all but that really has nothing to do with my story. She was allowed to date people as long as they were Chinese. I wasn't so she had to break up with me and find a Chinese boyfriend.

I didn't tell this story to make Toronto seem racist either. It's the least racist place I have ever been to. I was just saying that even in a place like this there will still be some people like that.

I hate people who stereotype others. They're all the same! ;)

cool my wife is chinese, from Jamaica. I never new chinese community was present in jamaica till I met her.
I knew a guy who was Chinese Jamaican. Let's just say that the accent adds a whole new level to what Chinese sounds like. :)

P.S. I also met a tall blonde Caucasian woman with a mild but strange accent. I knew I had heard the accent before, but just couldn't place it... because I just didn't expect her to be speaking with a slight Indian accent. What made things even more confusing was that she had a Chinese name. Turns out she was Dutch who grew up in India but married a Chinese guy. However, even I, who likes to consider myself non-racist, couldn't place the accent because of the skin colour. Had she looked Indian, I am sure I would have placed the slight accent right away.

Last edited:
We're getting off topic, but, yeah, I'm very interested in others race/culture etc.. the stories our names,backgrounds ,countries of origin can tell are so fascinating as the post above illustrates.

I have found this to be a fascinating read, today. I'd like to expound on many of the themes I've found. Many of my colleagues are from other lands and I've found it astonishing to observe their behaviours, contrasted with the accepted Torontonian ideal of tolerance.

Some come from places where they are expected to oppose certain races, groups, religions, or whatever. Some learn quickly, others learn more slowly, that if you're going to be in a business environment here, you have to swallow hard and forget ancient hatreds and / or oppostions. I've witnessed a situation, in an office environment, in which two newly-arrived got fired because they carried an ancient, racially based hatred into the work place. To the very last moment, as they were ushered out, they were screaming and cursing one another.

In another situation, two guys from the same land wouldn't cooperate because of a hangup with an old caste system, as someone "lower" became the superisor of someone "higher". This particular sort of thing just blew my mind. But it shows you just what can go on in a culturally diverse place such as Toronto.

Another thing I find fascinating is the generational change among my own relatives. I am Torontonian born, second generation. My older relatives find it perfectly acceptable to trash a certain old European rival race, while my generation couldn't give a hoot about 'all that stuff'. And the older generation just doesn't understand the tolerance that their offspring have developed -- in fact, the older generation thinks this tolerance is tragic.

I know racism exists in Toronto, but a lot of us fight it.

One last comment -- Toronto and Ontario are not the same by any stretch. I have travelled a great deal of this province and I've found that racism in the rural areas is much more pronounced, and I don't like that one single bit. I am not too crazy about rural Ontario at all.

Back