News   Aug 07, 2024
 317     1 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 645     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 472     0 

Ireland Park

those silos are the best looking towers on the entire waterfront! Hot!

A condo tower similar to that glass mini tower would be nice. I used to hang out around down there when there was zippo there--when did the malting plant close I seem to recall seeing trucks backed into the loading dock?

i think the beaten up silos are perfect for this type of site. it almost looks like the chunks of concrete were taken out on purpose to give a certain feel for the site.

i still have to go visit it and check it out for myself since it looks like a great vantage point to the city.

My Ireland Park pics (from a few week's back)...

DSCN3448.jpg

DSCN3442.jpg

DSCN3443.jpg

DSCN3444.jpg

DSCN3445.jpg

DSCN3446.jpg

DSCN3447.jpg

DSCN3449.jpg

DSCN3450.jpg

DSCN3451.jpg

DSCN3452.jpg

DSCN3454.jpg

DSCN3455.jpg

DSCN3456.jpg

DSCN3457.jpg

DSCN3458.jpg

DSCN3459.jpg

DSCN3460.jpg

OMG, I have a few pictures almost the same as yours...

Thanks for the images, Darkstar.

The success of the waterfront will be built upon many large projects, but smaller efforts like this will give its corners a welcome and much needed atmosphere.

Hope to see many more initiatives like this.

Thanks for the images, Darkstar.

The success of the waterfront will be built upon many large projects, but smaller efforts like this will give its corners a welcome and much needed atmosphere.

Hope to see many more initiatives like this.

It's the small little projects that can be so personal and creative. I like the hard to find nature of the park, it made the monument so much more striking. Whether it's a project with lots of financing like this one, or something as simple as the old "secret swing", when you had to look for it, the discovery was so much sweeter. I think the location was ideal, as the Canada Malting Silos in the background have been a favorite for urban explorers for years, those who strayed from the well marked, sterile attractions to appreciate the age of industry in Toronto like no museum could provide.

The Now article almost sounds like an "Onion" parody. Gee, the monument doesn't address the root causes of a famine that happened 150 years ago. And the Egyptian pyramids don't address the root causes of, umm, mummification, so, I guess they're inappropriate too. Yawn.

I do love this park. An interesting phenomenon is that people have started to jam coins into various parts of the immigrants arriving. I noted it first in the pockets of one of the migrants, but this morning they were just everywhere. Not only pennies either. Bought me my morning coffee and scone. :rolleyes:

I think it points to the success of the figures and their accessibility, despite their "melodramatic" nature.

Anyways, below are my photos of Ireland Park (some taken before it opened, as indicated), at various times of day, including one showing the offerings.

IrelandPark01.jpg

IrelandPark02.jpg

IrelandPark03.jpg

IrelandPark04.jpg

IrelandPark05.jpg

IrelandPark06.jpg

IrelandPark07.jpg

IrelandPark08.jpg

IrelandPark09.jpg

IrelandPark10.jpg

IrelandPark11.jpg

IrelandPark12.jpg