Infrastructure/deteriorating roads: 14 per cent

Public transportation: 10 per cent

Health care/doctor shortage: 9 per cent

Environment/pollution: 8 per cent

Education/schools: 7 per cent

Urban development: 7 per cent

Homelessness/poverty: 7 per cent

Employment: 5 per cent

Toronto, ON - The Dominion Institute and Ipsos Reid have undertaken a unique national survey of four of Canada's largest cities, Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal, looking to uncover whether or not Canadians are confident in their municipal government and how they feel about the future of the city that they call home.

Does anyone have access to the survey? If you do please post.

Some funny stuff going on...
I am optimistic about my city and its future: Toronto 73% agree/ 47% disagree.
73 + 47 = 120%?

79% of citizens who live in Vancouver indicate that their own city would be their choice followed by Calgary [8%], how a fax [4%], Toronto [3%], auto law [2%], Edmonton [2%]
Umm... should those be Halifax and Ottawa?

Some unfortunate stuff as well...
- Too many people from different backgrounds live in my city: Toronto -- 39% agree (Calgary 33%, Montreal 31%, Vancouver 28%)
- In Toronto, 51% of its citizens believes their city needs to reduce the number of newcomers

Sloppy work. What is "Toronto", for example? - City of Toronto, Toronto CMA, 905? For crying out loud, these things have to be defined to frame the analysis!

Also, we aren't told what's the percentage of "don't know/no comments" either.

AoD

Too many people from different backgrounds live in my city: Toronto -- 39% agree

Count me in on that! The last thing Toronto needs is people moving here from suburban backgrounds trying to bring their car loving ways with them. From downtown Kinshasa then welcome, from Orange County then get lost. :D Just kidding about the anti-suburbia stuff of course but I can't really understand the "too many people from different backgrounds" thing. Do they mean religion, colour, language, country club, or what?

- In Toronto, 51% of its citizens believes their city needs to reduce the number of newcomers

Really? When the City of Toronto is nearly 50% immigrants, and high proportions in Mississauga, Brampton, Richmond Hill and Markham?

That seems too high (or is this 51% out of 120%?). But then again the numbers don't add up.

They interviewed a staggering 205 people, so why not let them speak for all of us? How can 1 in 25,000 possibly be wrong?

Strangely enough, the most anti-immigration people I know are immigrants themselves.

The most anti-immigration people I know have moved out of Toronto so they're not counted in this survey.

Why do you people have problems with 120% of truth?

--

Unimaginative> I was just going to say that. My own experience (thinking of certain relatives) is that first generation immigrants often become weirdly xenophobic.

shawnm:

My own experience (thinking of certain relatives) is that first generation immigrants often become weirdly xenophobic.

A lot of immigrants came from countries/communities that are more or less uni-ethnic in nature, so it isn't like they became weirdly xenophobic, but that they're latently so in the first place.

AoD

In Toronto, 51% of its citizens believes their city needs to reduce the number of newcomers

Why do you people think that means people don't want immigrants.

Did it ever occur to you guys that it just means people are worried our metro region can't handle the tons of people moving in each year, and the related problems like traffic, pollution, etc.

Does not mean don't want newcomers. It just means some Toronto people might think we could reduce the number coming each year so we can better cope with providing services.

i think that immigrants should be influenced (by benefit) to migrate to other areas of canada that have monoculture BUT shouldn't be denied the right to live where they want. there is a dangerous inbalance in canada. it's dangerous to have one area of canada be made of new immigrants and another areas being of totally white. there is too much difference. there is too much racial divide.

on the other hand, the success of toronto can be that it's a culture magnet and this could be something that we shouldn't share because maybe it's what makes us $$$. lets not tell anyone though. lets tell the feds we should get more $$$ because since we take more of the immigrants, we need more $$$ for getting them set in and started. :)

i think that immigrants should be influenced (by benefit) to migrate to other areas of canada that have monoculture BUT shouldn't be denied the right to live where they want.

I don't think immigrants should be paid to move to specific places. You want to hear howls of complaint, go ahead and do that. Federal immigration settlement payments are already screwy enough; no need to mess things up even further by turning people new to the country into a resource to be spread around like rations of peanut butter.

there is a dangerous inbalance in canada.

Dangerous? How so?

it's dangerous to have one area of canada be made of new immigrants and another areas being of totally white. there is too much difference. there is too much racial divide.

Again, how is it dangerous?

As for areas that you call "totally white," are you possibly suggesting innate racism in those places because of white people? As for racial divides, people always find them when they are specifically looking for them, when they focus on race constantly, when they worry too much about too many whites or personal definitions of racial divides.

And as for worrying about money, maybe thinking about the people would be a better approach. Immigrants are not just some resource to be hoarded, distributed or attracted to generate revenue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
it's dangerous to have one area of canada be made of new immigrants and another areas being of totally white. there is too much difference. there is too much racial divide.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, how is it dangerous?

It didn't seem to work in Paris, which has outer suburbs that are exclusively Arab. They were never integrated into society and now everybody suffers for it.

Back