News   Jun 19, 2024
 1K     0 

I went ahead and voted for Rob Ford today

Status
Not open for further replies.

RE81

Member Bio
Reaction score
I voted for him and Shamoon Poonawala as my local councillor today in the advanced polls. I didn't vote for Ford because I think he's going to be a great mayor. Frankly, I was shocked to see how much he looks like the fat, lazy drunks that represent everything that is wrong with this country when I first saw him. But that point aside, we don't need a good mayor. Just like when a forest is infested with disease or parasites and needs to be burned to the ground to be regrown, this city needs the same thing. And THAT is what Rob Ford will be very good at.

I am so sick and tired of these "progressives" at City Hall. The city is meant to be responsible for TTC service improvements and expansion, garbage collection, utilities and similar services, road fixture and other infrastructure development. THAT'S IT! Toronto is not meant to be a place to house Canada's drunks and drug addicts and the world's criminals nor should funding go to pet projects. If any artistic or cultural event is worth doing, it can survive on its own by private funding.

I am very hopeful that Ford will have a budget of not one penny for social housing. Get rid of these flop houses and welfare housing for every drunk, drug addict and criminal that comes from Timmins, North Bay, Newfoundland, Jamaica or whatever part of Sri Lanka Tamils are from. There can be a budget of a one-way ticket to Ottawa for each of them because its their fault our city has these problems, so let THEM deal with them! Actually we won't need to do that because all the bums will leave on their own volition once they figure out there are no more free handouts here! Watch out Vancouver!!!

BTW, before some smartass urban chic white guy makes some typical left-wing comment, I did not say that all people from Timmins, North Bay, Newfoundland, Jamaica or Tamils are criminals.

As a former member of the Ontario PC party I still get spam emails from them and I was surprised to see they backed Smitherman. Then again, he is just the type of person who will keep their amalgamated city all happy and smily which means the suburbs get screwed again. I am sick of seeing MY tax dollars going to fund YOUR downtown pet projects or waterfront or cultural events so YOUR city is so "lively and vibrant" and YOUR condos increase in price. I want MY tax dollars to fund MY area's infrastructure and that Sheppard TTC line so MY house increases in price for a change. And if that can't be done, at least cut the taxes!

If Adam Vaughn or another porgressive piece of garbage thinks he's smarter that the Toronto people and bigger than democracy wants to trump the wishes of Rob Ford and the Toronto people than I will personally go down there and give him a piece of my mind.

You mean Rob Ford-bashing threads.

And while my thread title in itself may not be worthy as a Toronto issue, the topics that I bring up certainly do qualify as Toronto Issues.

One thing that the citizens of Toronto can be assured of is that if Toronto hating Ford wins, he will wield virtually no power since all his ideas will be voted down by the progressive politicians that you detest RE81. If you hate Toronto just as much as Ford, why not get the hell out?

1. This is a democracy and you are entitled to vote for whoever you want. None of us will be offended if you do so. I frankly don't care who you vote for, or whether you vote at all.
2. If you think the other threads are one-sided venues for bashing Rob Ford , then it's up to you as a Ford supporter to post counter-arguments. By starting this thread, you are basically doing exactly what you are accusing others of doing: starting a one-sided thread, only from the other side.

I voted for him and Shamoon Poonawala as my local councillor today in the advanced polls. I didn't vote for Ford because I think he's going to be a great mayor. Frankly, I was shocked to see how much he looks like the fat, lazy drunks that represent everything that is wrong with this country when I first saw him. But that point aside, we don't need a good mayor. Just like when a forest is infested with disease or parasites and needs to be burned to the ground to be regrown, this city needs the same thing. And THAT is what Rob Ford will be very good at.

I am so sick and tired of these "progressives" at City Hall. The city is meant to be responsible for TTC service improvements and expansion, garbage collection, utilities and similar services, road fixture and other infrastructure development. THAT'S IT! Toronto is not meant to be a place to house Canada's drunks and drug addicts and the world's criminals nor should funding go to pet projects. If any artistic or cultural event is worth doing, it can survive on its own by private funding.

I am very hopeful that Ford will have a budget of not one penny for social housing. Get rid of these flop houses and welfare housing for every drunk, drug addict and criminal that comes from Timmins, North Bay, Newfoundland, Jamaica or whatever part of Sri Lanka Tamils are from. There can be a budget of a one-way ticket to Ottawa for each of them because its their fault our city has these problems, so let THEM deal with them! Actually we won't need to do that because all the bums will leave on their own volition once they figure out there are no more free handouts here! Watch out Vancouver!!!

BTW, before some smartass urban chic white guy makes some typical left-wing comment, I did not say that all people from Timmins, North Bay, Newfoundland, Jamaica or Tamils are criminals.

As a former member of the Ontario PC party I still get spam emails from them and I was surprised to see they backed Smitherman. Then again, he is just the type of person who will keep their amalgamated city all happy and smily which means the suburbs get screwed again. I am sick of seeing MY tax dollars going to fund YOUR downtown pet projects or waterfront or cultural events so YOUR city is so "lively and vibrant" and YOUR condos increase in price. I want MY tax dollars to fund MY area's infrastructure and that Sheppard TTC line so MY house increases in price for a change. And if that can't be done, at least cut the taxes!

If Adam Vaughn or another porgressive piece of garbage thinks he's smarter that the Toronto people and bigger than democracy wants to trump the wishes of Rob Ford and the Toronto people than I will personally go down there and give him a piece of my mind.

That's great that you got out and voted, good for you. It sounds like your awfully bitter for making a choice to live in the suburbs and see no appreciation on your home. Too bad. It must also be awfully boring out there with nothing to do but I'm sure Ford will fix all that for you.

Whoever does become Mayor, I'll be advocating that he move half of the "flophouses" full of Canada's "drunks and drug addicts" to re-settle in the 'burbs, I think I'll start it up with a Facebook page and move forward from there. It's only fair that we share.

For your grave sin, say 10 Hail Mary's, 5 The Lord's Prayer's, and walk to and from the corner store for sundries (milk, newspaper, lottery tickets, bread, etc.) until Christmas.
priest-in-confessional.jpg

Last edited:

In case you didn't notice, we are in a recession. Lots of people have lost their jobs, and some even their homes. This includes residents born and raised in Toronto. If you don't want to support social housing and services, I'd like to hear your ideas on how to deal with them.

If you don't want to support investments in the city center, I suggest you move to Detroit. They haven't invested in their city in decades, and it seems to be working out great for them. Also, by your theory, why should Toronto tax dollars from other parts of the city support YOUR subway line? The way I see it, the few hundred thousand (if that) people who live along Sheppard between Fairview and the Scarborough Town Center can spend their own tax dollars to build a multi-billion dollar subway extension.

I think you just proved to everyone here that anyone with a grade 6 education is smarter than you.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to add, 10/10 with your troll.

Last edited:
That's great that you got out and voted, good for you. It sounds like your awfully bitter for making a choice to live in the suburbs and see no appreciation on your home. Too bad. It must also be awfully boring out there with nothing to do but I'm sure Ford will fix all that for you.

Whoever does become Mayor, I'll be advocating that he move half of the "flophouses" full of Canada's "drunks and drug addicts" to re-settle in the 'burbs, I think I'll start it up with a Facebook page and move forward from there. It's only fair that we share.

For the record, there is A LOT of social housing in the inner suburbs.

In case you didn't notice, we are in a recession. Lots of people have lost their jobs, and some even their homes. This includes residents born and raised in Toronto. If you don't want to support social housing and services, I'd like to hear your ideas on how to deal with them.

apparently he wants to incinerate them.

From an americancity.org article on As Suburban Poverty Grows, U.S. Fails to Respond Adequately, available at this link:

Over the last ten years, more than two-thirds of poverty growth in the nation’s metro areas occurred in the suburbs, and there are now 1.6 million more poor people living in the suburbs than in center cities. Since 2000, there has been a general increase in the nation’s poverty rate, but it has been far worse in the suburbs than in the cities—a 37.4% increase versus 16.7%. Though the poverty rate remains higher in central cities, the number of poor suburbanites is growing quickly.
U.S.A. numbers.

What kind of person votes for someone because they want the city destroyed? No one is that crazy ... except perhaps a suicide bomber.

We're being trolled. Block this "new" member and eliminate the thread.

Over the last ten years, more than two-thirds of poverty growth in the nation’s metro areas occurred in the suburbs, and there are now 1.6 million more poor people living in the suburbs than in center cities. Since 2000, there has been a general increase in the nation’s poverty rate, but it has been far worse in the suburbs than in the cities—a 37.4% increase versus 16.7%. Though the poverty rate remains higher in central cities, the number of poor suburbanites is growing quickly.

Possibly the growth rate disparity has more to do with the US federal policy of granting mortgages to anyone regardless of their ability to carry them and the fact that most single family homes/mortgages happen to be located in the suburbs.

What kind of person votes for someone because they want the city destroyed? No one is that crazy ... except perhaps...

i bet there's some people out there who will vote for smitherman in hopes that electing a gay mayor will bring about the rapture, thus causing the destruction of the city. of course RE81 wasted his vote on ford and if it doesn't rain fire after election day, we all know who to blame.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back