766     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 730     1 

Horrible or Subpar Films

Choosing a few bigger ones:

Independence Day

Armageddon

The latter two Matrix films

The endings of too many M. Night Shyamalam films (though I usually love the build up)

Since its been mentioned a few times already, I loved the concepts in Cube but found the execution/acting to be less impressive. I find I'm often more generous to a movie with a great or creative concept that doesn't quite pull it off over a more polished film that I've seen 100 times before--not always, but often.

I'm with all the way with Independece Day - probably the worst movie ever made. You would think with all the cajillions they spent they could come up with something other than a series of noisy special effects.

re: 2001 (obviously, I am a bit biased) - it's one of the very, very few sci-fi flicks that actually aged well and didn't look severely dated within a generation (compared to say Star Trek: TNG)

Armageddon - it's truly horrible with absolutely no redeeming qualities. Too bad they didn't get all get stranded on that damned 500km diameter comet (?!?!) when the nuke blows.

AoD

re: 2001 (obviously, I am a bit biased) - it's one of the very, very few sci-fi flicks that actually aged well and didn't look severely dated within a generation (compared to say Star Trek: TNG)

AoD

I have a great fondness, and respect for 2001.
I first saw 2001 as a kid at the Glendale Cinerama (there's a picture of the cinema in the "Toronto Then and Now" thread, post #756 but I only have a vague memory of it and I remember being bored stiff). My next viewing was in Grade 12 Film Arts using a videotape and a small TV, I was intrigued but still somewhat unimpressed. I saw a poorly faded 70MM print at Cinesphere back around 1980-81, (ick) and then the University Theatre played it for one or two weeks around 1983 when they ran a 70MM film festival and it was a much better 70MM print plus the sound was fabulous in there. That was really my first true, great experience seeing 2001 and I was floored. I went back twice to see it again.
Now to really experience 2001 (other than one of the newly struck 70MM prints in a good cinema - which isn't going to happen in Toronto) find a friend with a Blu ray player, a good HD panel and rent the Blu ray disc. It's like experiencing the film for the first time all over again. The restoration on both the picture and sound is truly a revelation.
Kubrick would be very proud.

I first saw 2001 in Westmount Square in Montreal (a Mies piece); so the movie, the cinema and the buildings were a total experience for me.

Pretty Woman (nice responsible Disney movie)

The Other Sister (in fact anything with Juliette Lewis or Dianne Keaton post Woody Allen)

Three Amigos

Pretty Woman (nice responsible Disney movie)

The Other Sister (in fact anything with Juliette Lewis or Dianne Keaton post Woody Allen)

Three Amigos

Juliette Lewis plays white trash better than any actress out there. Natural Born Killers, What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Kalifornia (all amazing movies IMO) prove this. She was also good in the very cool, From Dusk to Dawn.

Juliette Lewis plays white trash better than any actress out there. Natural Born Killers, What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Kalifornia (all amazing movies IMO) prove this. She was also good in the very cool, From Dusk to Dawn.

But that's all she does. She's a terrible actress masquerading as a competent one. But unfortunately it's what happens when the $cientos get a hold of you and basically cleanse you of any personality whatsoever.

Oh how the Wayne's World stars have fallen...

How about these two thoroughly unfunny and embarrassing turkeys?

2255401.jpg
The_Master_Of_Disguise.jpg

UGH *turns green at the sight of the movies.* They were horrible. But then again what do you expect. It seems a lot of movies are getting stupider and stupider by the month.

Back