News   May 01, 2024
 762     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 257     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 334     0 

Horrible or Subpar Films

If one watches it, though...*yawn*

And if we're going to base things on the number of Oscar nominations, we might as well link to IMDB's top 250 and call it a thread.

I haven't done it for Godfather II but if you want to use IMDB as an example, click on the "external reviews" link and read the original reviews on the film from when it came out. I'm willing to bet there isn't a "sucks" or "yawn" used anywhere in those reviews... :)

While I guess it all depends on what type of movie you like - pacing, lighting and shots - I still don't understand how you could say Godfather II sucks. I mean, I am no fan of the third film in the series, but I'd never say that it sucks.

Godfather II - beautifully acted and lit, perfect pacing and two wonderfully intertwined storylines.

Another of the few movies that I couldn't sit through was 2001: A Space Odyssey. I tried to watch it for the first time recently because it is such a famous movie and like science fiction, but I found that I could watch men dancing around in cheap monkey suits without dialogue for only 10-15 minutes before I had to switch to a different, less amateurish movie.

I can understand that this film may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's a big stretch to call it "amateurish." Compare 2001: A Space Odyssey to virtually anything being made today and it comes off as completely original and very rare. No studio would gamble on making a film like this. There isn't the balls to do so. Instead, what we end up with is Spiderman 15, TV shows being turned into flicks, or endless remakes of the same movie. Honestly, is anything special or new going to happen in the Terminator universe? Is any new version of The Taking of Pelham 123, Andromeda Strain or The Day the Earth Stood Still going to be a vast improvement over the originals? No.

Far too often, those 20 dialogue-free minutes of 2001 far and away beat the spoken exchanges in many contemporary films.

Just tried watching Revolutionary Road. Only got one hour through it and had to stop it. So boring. It felt like a really watered down version of a Desperate Housewives episode.

I can understand that this film may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's a big stretch to call it "amateurish." Compare 2001: A Space Odyssey to virtually anything being made today and it comes off as completely original and very rare. No studio would gamble on making a film like this. There isn't the balls to do so. Instead, what we end up with is Spiderman 15, TV shows being turned into flicks, or endless remakes of the same movie. Honestly, is anything special or new going to happen in the Terminator universe? Is any new version of The Taking of Pelham 123, Andromeda Strain or The Day the Earth Stood Still going to be a vast improvement over the originals? No.

Far too often, those 20 dialogue-free minutes of 2001 far and away beat the spoken exchanges in many contemporary films.

+1

We don't see movies like 2001 very often these days as it requires more patience from the viewer than the average Hollywood studio thinks we can handle. It also did a great job of getting a lot of the science right in 1969 (silence of space, weightlessness, isolation, short survival period possible without oxygen) that we still rarely get in movies even after years of near-earth space exploration. And the drama and tension were excellent as well, e.g., Hal reading the lips of the astronauts, Dave's frantic attempt to get back into the ship.

Sure, some of the sequences can be off-putting to some people (the pacing, the apes bit, the extended psychedlia near the end) but for me its one of the few films that impresses me with the power, enormity and differentness of an alien intelligence rather than giving us the standard anthropomorphic bug-eyed monsters that are both cliched and unreaslistic. It also made me appreciate the vastness of space more than any galaxy-hopping sci-fi flick does nowadays. It's definitely not for everyone but I've always loved that one.

Last edited:
You'd have to tie me down and staple my eyelids open to watch that dreck.
What the heck happened to the great Gary Oldman, did he not read the script? :confused:

You'd have to tie me down and staple my eyelids open to watch that dreck.
What the heck happened to the great Gary Oldman, did he not read the script? :confused:

"In the role of a lifetime". Oh. My. God.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm gonna. My friends and I have a plan which includes some "jazz cigarettes" and a lot of laughs.

Godfather II is a brilliant film which, by the way earned it a dozen Oscar nominations and it took away half a dozen of them including "Best Picture".

After the whole Brokeback Mountain controversy, I think it is clear that the Oscars are not important. In my opinion, the Oscars have made a lot of other questionable choices for Best Picture, like Titanic.

I haven't done it for Godfather II but if you want to use IMDB as an example, click on the "external reviews" link and read the original reviews on the film from when it came out. I'm willing to bet there isn't a "sucks" or "yawn" used anywhere in those reviews... :)

Well, when Blade Runner was released a lot the critics hated it, many of the reviews were negative. It didn't win any awards either. Does that make it a bad film?

I'm not complaining about the lack of dialogue (some of my favourite movie have little dialogue or action), but with the obvious and cheap-looking monkey suits it is a really bad combination. Everything about the scene just looks really cheesy to me. If I could have gotten past that, I am sure I would have enjoyed the rest of the movie.

Well, when Blade Runner was released a lot the critics hated it, many of the reviews were negative. It didn't win any awards either. Does that make it a bad film?

Fair enough, point well taken.

I'm not complaining about the lack of dialogue (some of my favourite movie have little dialogue or action), but with the obvious and cheap-looking monkey suits it is a really bad combination. Everything about the scene just looks really cheesy to me. If I could have gotten past that, I am sure I would have enjoyed the rest of the movie.

Actually no "monkey suits" were used, make-up was. A quick comparison to contemporary renderings of early hominids shows that the make-up artists of 1968 were not too far off.

Given that so many films of today employ costumes and make-up that exceed realism, it's hard to imagine that the makers of 2001 did anything outlandish in comparison.

It's an incredible stretch to assume that 2001: A Space Odyssey can be considered horrible or subpar on the basis of the use of make-up that is essential to helping depict a time period of millions of years ago.

That being said, if you skipped the first act, it's quite unlikely you'd get the rest of the movie.

Mission to Mars - an attempt at being profound, 2001 style, and failing miserably.
The Wicker Man (Nicolas Cage version) - the original's climax was haunting and disturbing. The remake was uninintentionally hilarious.
Battlefield Earth - Why does John Travolta still have a career?

Back