News   Apr 18, 2024
 801     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.5K     2 

Horrible or Subpar Films

APTA-2048

Member Bio
Reaction score
I guess inspired by the great films thread: what films have you found to be horrible or subpar?

Some off the top of my head:

Cube (1997)
Clown at Midnight (1998)
I Know Who Killed Me (2007)
Vantage Point (2008)

Last edited:
80-85% of what comes out of the major Hollywood studios in the past twenty or so years.

I remember these films for being terrible:

Once Upon a Time in Mexico
The Good Shepherd
The Lost World
Garden State
The Clone Wars
Fahrenheit 9/11

I didn't think Cube was bad for what it was--a Canadian film. It was an interesting concept, at least.

Vantage Point was not the worst action movie I've seen.

Is this supposed to be a list of comically bad movies or bad bad movies?

The Sentinel was bad, and not even amusingly bad, just plain old embarrassingly bad. Still better than any made-for-tv or straight to video action movie, though.

Meet Joe Black was frighteningly boring...you can nod off every few seconds and miss, like, not one line of dialogue.

80-85% of what comes out of the major Hollywood studios in the past twenty or so years.

I'd say perhaps an even larger percentage of non-Hollywood films suck, but they don't make it onto our screens, so it's easy to ignore them.

The second Pirates of the Caribbean Movie stands out for me. I ended up being dragged out to the first one, and found it not too bad at all for a movie based on an amusement park ride.

I remember the second one for being so bad because I found I could not suspend any belief whatsoever.

Also: Tremors, Jersey Girl (expected better from K. Smith).

I didn't mind Fahrenheit 9/11 myself, I preferred it over Bowling for Columbine, which while funnier, was way more exploitative.

I didn't think Cube was bad for what it was--a Canadian film. It was an interesting concept, at least.
True, the concept for Cube was interesting. I felt, though, that the overall movie was mediocre.

Is this supposed to be a list of comically bad movies or bad bad movies?
I admit I haven't thought of that, but I guess one can post both if they wish.

Last edited:
I remember these films for being terrible:

Once Upon a Time in Mexico
The Good Shepherd
The Lost World
Garden State
The Clone Wars
Fahrenheit 9/11

Garden State is great, it is one of my favorites.

I guess I should use this opportunity to bash Godfather II. Two separate movies in one? Boring as hell...

Choosing a few bigger ones:

Independence Day

Armageddon

The latter two Matrix films

The endings of too many M. Night Shyamalam films (though I usually love the build up)

Since its been mentioned a few times already, I loved the concepts in Cube but found the execution/acting to be less impressive. I find I'm often more generous to a movie with a great or creative concept that doesn't quite pull it off over a more polished film that I've seen 100 times before--not always, but often.

Yay! Finally a thread that the exact opposite of the "Great Movies" thread.

The most boring movie I've ever seen has got to be Spy Game.

I eternaly hate Angels and Damons for being a total disgrace to the book.

Most sequels just get worse and worse, like Superman 4, all the Scary Movies after the second one, oh, and Spiderman 3 was absolutley redicilous.
The Matrix sequels weren't that bad, the amazing effects made up for lack of storyline, althought the final fight between Neo and Smith was so cliche.

Ah Godfather III...Sophia Coppola was really not ready for the silver screen, and yet years later she came up with Lost in Translation (behind the camera)...

Cube (1997)

Are you kidding me? Cube was freaking awesome. I admit it is somewhat cultish, but it definitely shouldn't qualify for a "bad movies" list. That was easily one of the better horror movies released since gore became cheap enough that even low budget films could have obscene violence. Somewhat unexplainable situation aside, it had good plot flow and character dynamics.

Anyways, bad movies? There are many different kinds of bad movies. There is Queen of the Damned Bad, Spiderman 3 bad (which was bad enough to be enjoyable for me) and then there is Punisher bad. There are even more bads, like Caligula bad, where every minute you spend watching the movie causes the vomit to travel further up the back of your throat.

Choosing a few bigger ones:

Independence Day

Armageddon
Independence Day - This is unfair and baseless. I don't think Independence Day should win an Oscar, but it is at the very least enjoyable and action packed. It was easily one of Will Smith's best movies (screw you, Omega Man) and Jeff Goldblum is just freakin awesome. The special effects were sweet by 1997 standards. It's was also one of the forerunners of the "disaster genre." If nothing else, it is probably a high point of Roland Emmerich's career. How you can criticize Independence Day but not bile like 10,000 BC (replace aliens with CGI saber tooth tigers and sweet fighter jets with loin clothes) or The Day After Tomorrow (replace action heavy plot with snow) is beyond me.

Armageddon- This is Spiderman 3 bad. Yea, its dumb, but what did you expect from a movie whose premise is hill billies in space? Throw in William Fichtner and the full frontal assault on physics and reason and how can one help but be entertained? Put it another way, would you rather watch Deep Impact or Armageddon?

Most of the movies listed so far weren't actually that bad. I'll admit that most of them weren't good, but "bad" is something entirely different. Chris Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars, bad. All About the Benjamins, bad. Torque, bad. xXx: State of the Union, bad. I'm not sure if Friday After Next was bad, or I just didn't get it because I'm not black. Pretty much every Ice Cube movie except for Three Kings & Anaconda, bad.

Back