News   Jul 16, 2024
 519     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 544     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 677     2 

Homelessness and Panhandling in Toronto

Toronto needs to take a lesson from New York. I was just there and the city completely blew me away in every possible way. Toronto is like a little hairy mole on a fat black lady's bum compared to New York in terms of size and in Toronto it's so hard to find a really beautiful building, whereas in New York it's really hard to even find an ugly building. Anyway...New York is much much larger than Toronto in terms of population as we all know, yet they only have 3000 homeless people. It seemed like a lot less when I was there. I walked everywhere. I covered a really large portion of the city and barely saw any homeless people at all. Whereas in Toronto, you see multiple homeless people on every corner. It's terrible. Overall Toronto is better than New York in the following aspects: street hot dogs. New York only seems to have basically schneiders wieners. Not the jumbo ones we have here. The traffic is atrocious. I'd never drive in Manhattan. But New York was so much better in every other way. The people were friendlier, the streets were cleaner, the architecture and public space and parks were so much nicer than anything we have here. Namely, Central Park. If it wasn't so expensive to live in Manhattan I'd move there in a heartbeat. Now can we try to stay on topic people.

You neglected to point out any lessons.

Exactly 3,000 homeless people. Fabulous that it ended up being a round number.

By New York one can assume you are making reference to just Manhattan.

Now can we try to stay on topic people.

Since when did this thread go off topic?

Anyways, I can't agree with a few of your claims:in particular New York being cleaner. I haven't been there for a year now, but every time I do go one of the first things I notice is the smell and amount of litter on the streets.

mid town NY is very clean but hid to other places even well off places and there is a ton of litter.

I actually find NY city way to crowded, dirty, and busy and very rude especially the drivers. The people were alright but the police are very lazy and rude imo. Your not getting ha yelled at by the homeless but by people selling counterfeit prada in front of every major tourist attraction. Just as annoying...

However i admire the density and sights a lot...

Its all perspective imo, some people think NY looks perfect and some see it as a rat's hole.

Since when did this thread go off topic?

Anyways, I can't agree with a few of your claims:in particular New York being cleaner. I haven't been there for a year now, but every time I do go one of the first things I notice is the smell and amount of litter on the streets.

I have no idea where you stayed. In Manhattan it was beautiful. Hardly any litter and the downtown smell is much worse in Toronto.

mid town NY is very clean but hid to other places even well off places and there is a ton of litter.

I actually find NY city way to crowded, dirty, and busy and very rude especially the drivers. The people were alright but the police are very lazy and rude imo. Your not getting ha yelled at by the homeless but by people selling counterfeit prada in front of every major tourist attraction. Just as annoying...

However i admire the density and sights a lot...

Its all perspective imo, some people think NY looks perfect and some see it as a rat's hole.

The only people that were rude were the drivers. They're insane and honk at anything. The people on the street and in the subway were very nice. Nicer than most people I see in Toronto.

"Toronto needs to take a lesson from New York. I was just there and the city completely blew me away in every possible way. Toronto is like a little hairy mole on a fat black lady's bum compared to New York in terms of size and in Toronto it's so hard to find a really beautiful building, whereas in New York it's really hard to even find an ugly building. Anyway...New York is much much larger than Toronto in terms of population as we all know, yet they only have 3000 homeless people. It seemed like a lot less when I was there. I walked everywhere. I covered a really large portion of the city and barely saw any homeless people at all. Whereas in Toronto, you see multiple homeless people on every corner. It's terrible. Overall Toronto is better than New York in the following aspects: street hot dogs. New York only seems to have basically schneiders wieners. Not the jumbo ones we have here. The traffic is atrocious. I'd never drive in Manhattan. But New York was so much better in every other way. The people were friendlier, the streets were cleaner, the architecture and public space and parks were so much nicer than anything we have here. Namely, Central Park. If it wasn't so expensive to live in Manhattan I'd move there in a heartbeat. Now can we try to stay on topic people."

This sounds like a thrilling place. Do you have any other impressions you could share?

"Toronto needs to take a lesson from New York. I was just there and the city completely blew me away in every possible way. Toronto is like a little hairy mole on a fat black lady's bum compared to New York in terms of size and in Toronto it's so hard to find a really beautiful building, whereas in New York it's really hard to even find an ugly building. Anyway...New York is much much larger than Toronto in terms of population as we all know, yet they only have 3000 homeless people. It seemed like a lot less when I was there. I walked everywhere. I covered a really large portion of the city and barely saw any homeless people at all. Whereas in Toronto, you see multiple homeless people on every corner. It's terrible. Overall Toronto is better than New York in the following aspects: street hot dogs. New York only seems to have basically schneiders wieners. Not the jumbo ones we have here. The traffic is atrocious. I'd never drive in Manhattan. But New York was so much better in every other way. The people were friendlier, the streets were cleaner, the architecture and public space and parks were so much nicer than anything we have here. Namely, Central Park. If it wasn't so expensive to live in Manhattan I'd move there in a heartbeat. Now can we try to stay on topic people."

This sounds like a thrilling place. Do you have any other impressions you could share?

Yes. Our skyline is a joke compared to New York's. We're like a little hairy mole on a fat lady's ass in comparison.

Giuliani dealt with the homeless issue by settling them into motels, housing projects and rooming houses in the 'burbs. That kept them mostly out of sight as he Disney-fied midtown Manhattan. And yes, New Yorkers are indeed friendly folk and you'll get much better service at any restaurant in NYC, they do it so much better than we do here. Midtown and Uptown areas are clean but wander south of about 35th or 40 street and you'll have a much different impression. As for architecture comparing Toronto to NYC is like comparing oranges and apples (pun intended). Not a fair comparison. I love visiting NYC once or twice a year for the buzz but I'll take Toronto any day despite some of our urban problems.

Manhattan is a bigger city and better city when it comes to true urbanity.

However livability is another matter. I would not live there at all.

Really its a rather popular sentiment with many about NY. Many love it and like, but if you live in a small urban or suburban setting you find that place crazy.

Nicer than most people I see in Toronto.

The people of NY are nicer then they are portrayed in films and such and i don't think the general populous is rude at all, but my god are their police and security people are rude.

I would say i found downtown Toronto and Manhattan to be rather friendlier places then in a far off suburb. Countless times i have had my face almost smashed while out here in the burbs because people don't leave the door open. If a sketchy looking person asks for help, people run away scared or the police is called (referring to poor blind guy asking for help because he lost his stick, but he was then thrown out of the mall). Downtown i walked underground, and overground and never had my face get almost smashed yet. I have seen a ton of courtesy to the elderly on the TTC, i have seen people walking along with their lunch, give whole lunches to some homeless man in the street.

We're like a little hairy mole on a fat lady's ass in comparison.

Yes, but then we are not Manhattan, and Manhattan is not all of New York City.

ever been to Chicago, much better skyline but do you see many buildings in the more suburban areas or outside downtown away from the lake.

If you combined all those buildings downtown, then imagine the size!

Well, I guess Toronto will just have to die and be reborn as a major American city. Clearly things really suck when you are not one of them.

Actually i like how in Toronto and in some Canadian cities that there are random high rises in the middle of nowhere.

Back