News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 641     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 1K     2 

Home Grown Terror...

You beat me to it fiendish. What a dick. That article is also so poorly written. What evidence they ask? Ahhhh, the 3 freaking tonnes sent to them by the RCMP. Like I said, unless they can prove they had a turf farm on the go...Rocco better brush up on his terrorism defense.

As for miketoronto...

mt - where do we send those that are Canadian?

Please think before you comment. The muslim community around the world has denounced terrorism from day one. They do aknowledge it exists and it pains them to see this shit go down in the "name of allah".

What part of terrorism do you not get? These are radicals and no amount of begging, pleading or aknowledgement from the muslim community will stop their ways.

Further to that, as the cia, csis et al have been saying for some time now, this type of homegrown terrorism will become more and more common in the not to distant future. With nut job fundamentalist christians, muslims and extreme groups like the Michigan Militia running around it could get very nerve racking in a couple decades.

"denouncing terrorism does nothing to solve the problem."

Actually if there were much more frequent and unequivocal denunciations of terrorism within the Muslim community, it probably would help to counter the influential stream of extremism and anti-Westernism that runs through Islam.

"You try to plot attacks against Canada, you get sent back to wherever you came from. Problem fixed."

ROFL!

Thanks mike... that was the funniest thing I've read in a while.

That lawyer's comment about guns at the courthouse are waiting for a Trudeau-esq speech:

A: Yes, well there are a lot of bleeding hearts around who just don't like to see people with helmets and guns. All I can say is, go on and bleed, but it is more important to keep law and order in the society than to be worried about weak-kneed people who don't like the looks of ...

Q: At any cost? How far would you go with that? How far would you extend that?

A: Well just watch me.

Edited to wonder about the difference if Harper said that vs. Trudeau saying it. Context.

If found guilty, which leads in that direction, I'd hope for capital punishment. Unfortunately, our tax dollars will feed them for the rest of their miserable lives.

They will only be in jail for a little while, and then off free.

If found guilty, which leads in that direction, I'd hope for capital punishment.

Why? They haven't killed anyone, even if it turns out that was their intent. Even Texas doesn't execute anyone for attempted murder. That statement is rather misinformed, to put things lightly.

I just hope the RCMP/CSIS did their job correctly this time around.

It was just on the news that the US is very concerned about this arrest, and that it shows Canada is a haven for muslim terrorists. The US has also said this could be because Canada is to liberal with our immigration.

This is going to cause problems now with our US relations.

"Why?"

Well the answer is rather simple! Their intent is to murder HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS. The fact they did not succeed and were caught is enough reason for CP.

They will only be in jail for a little while, and then off free.

Unlikely. If they're found guilty, the offences they're charged under carry penalties of up to ten years, and all sentences are required to be consecutive. If they're found guilty on all counts, the younger ones MIGHT get out in their lifetime, after they've been institutionalised.

Kevin

It was just on the news that the US is very concerned about this arrest, and that it shows Canada is a haven for muslim terrorists. The US has also said this could be because Canada is to liberal with our immigration.

This is going to cause problems now with our US relations

You mean like the same way the U.S. was a haven for terrorists before 9/11?

"Liberal" with our immigration? The U.S. is a nation built upon immigration as well - including immigrants who are muslims.

That sounds like Stockwell Day, who even went so far as to make political points by suggesting that this event was caused by the previous government who was "soft" on terrorism.

You state this is going to cause problems with U.S./Canadian relations. How so? Are you suggesting they will not like us because arrests were made? You are not being clear.

From today's New York Times:

In Bomb Plot News Coverage, a Toronto Newspaper Shines
By IAN AUSTEN
Published: June 5, 2006

TORONTO, June 4 — The competition between Toronto's four major daily newspapers is often intense, particularly over crime news. But its results are rarely as one-sided as the coverage that followed the arrests of 17 Ontario residents in what the police call a terrorist bomb plot.

Some readers of The Globe and Mail awoke Saturday to find nothing about the raids while, at the other extreme, The Toronto Star published 3,000 words and several photos spread over three pages.

The embarrassment of the other newspapers by The Star, which has emphasized crime coverage for much of its history, actually began while the raids were just getting under way on Friday night. Minutes after the Royal Canadian Mounted Police issued a cryptic press release at 9:16 p.m. about a news conference set for the following morning, The Star's Web site produced a story breaking the news of the police sweep.

Nor did The Star, Canada's largest newspaper by circulation, make any attempt at modesty. Underneath a main headline in type several inches high, another headline boasted that "The Star takes you inside the spy game that led to last night's dramatic arrests."

The Star's success, which also included the reporting of several details, like potential bomb targets, that continued to elude other news organizations, did not attract much in the way of congratulations from rivals.

That includes The National Post, which hastily reworked a scheduled story about terrorists to include a basic outline of the raids. When asked how The Star managed to so outflank its competition, Stephen Meurice, the managing editor for news, replied, "I can't possibly tell you."

The answer, said Giles Gherson, The Star's editor in chief, was mainly hard work by a single reporter.

About two years ago, before Mr. Gherson joined the paper, The Star's editors assigned Michelle Shephard, a police reporter, to cover national security issues.

Mr. Gherson acknowledged there were times when the decision to commit a reporter to that beat full time did not always seem wise. "There have been a number of cases she has covered that didn't amount to anything at all," he said.

The timing of The Star's scoop was particularly unfortunate for The Post and The Globe, which managed to squeeze a small story onto Page 2 in just over half of its copies on Saturday. A vestige of provincial laws that once banned sales on Sunday, most Canadian newspapers still produce their major weekend editions on Saturday. And The Post and The Globe do not publish paper editions on Sunday (although The Globe did add details to the story online).

The Star took advantage of the 24-hour lag to add another 11,000 words of reporting over nine pages on Sunday.

The Toronto Sun, a tabloid which does publish on Sunday, did better than The Globe. It ran a story of just under 700 words.

But its efforts were not entirely successful. The only information about bomb targets officials offered on Saturday was to refute The Sun's claim that Toronto's subway network was on the list.

>>All these guys who where caught should be sent back to the middle eastern countries they came from 30 years ago. All but one was actually born in Canada. So if the ones who where not born here but are Canadian citizens now, don't like it here, then they should be deported back, no matter what their citizenship.

Canada should get tough with these people. And make an example so other people don't follow. You try to plot attacks against Canada, you get sent back to wherever you came from. Problem fixed.

If they don't like the west, then I guess they should not be living here.<<

You've gotta be kidding me. Deport them so they can be free to continue planning whatever they were planning?

If they're guilty they deserve to be put to death. Because that won't happen, they should be thrown in jail and never allowed to see the light of day again.

This is going to cause problems now with our US relations.

Like soft wood lumber did. Like gay marriage did. Like loose pot laws did. Like...like...like

Stop watching FOX.

The US has said no such thing. The Right wing media and some dipshit senators may have but the Big man himself certianly has not said anything to this fact. Sure, your "family" and "friends" and "some people I work with" may have heard this in the media to but that does not make it a truth.

Liberal with our immigration? Load of crap. We may be liberal for a reason but for the US to blame us for this is pure shite. Those a-holes who flew planes into the WTC were trained in the US on how to fly. They lived in their neighbourhoods not ours.

Timothy Mcveigh ring a bell. You know the WHITE AMERICAN guy who drove a van of fertilizer into a state building. What about the WHITE AMERICAN dude who tried to blow up a crowd of revelers at the Atlantic Olympics? These are all incidents of homegrown terrorism. One could argue Columbine was another fine example. This is not about immigration though you and your friends at Fox and the Fraser Institute (though how exactly I have no clue) would argue differently. This is about ideology and thanks to the medium at which I listen to you share your thoughts and ideas with us, the world has gotten whole lot smaller.

Back