News   Jul 22, 2024
 86     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 336     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 394     0 

Home Grown Terror...

But no one is saying that, not even the defence lawyers. The point is that there are no facts on which to base any sort of conclusion.

If everyone the cops accused were guilty, there would be no need for a justice system.

You've already concluded that

1. the Crown has not made disclosure; and
2. the accused have been denied the right to meet with counsel.
Do you also assume that the accusations of torture are true?
You are prepared to accept the defence counsel's accusations without inquiry (is it possible that the defence lawyers are engaging in a little PR posturing?) but question all of the information emanating from the crown or police. It appears to me that you are biased.

Of course I'm biased. I'm a lawyer.

Also, the crown has admitted they are not allowing access to counsel and that disclosure has not been provided. Disclosure would not normally be provided this early in a criminal case. But until the government's case is known, no one has any rational basis on which to decide the guilt or innocence of the accused.

Of course I'm biased. I'm a lawyer.

Good for you! (Seriously) That's one of the things I like about this forum - so many people with many different backgrounds and perspectives on things.

Innocent until proven guilty. That is why I am reserving my judgement on this matter. I'm also amused to see my former hometown of Brampton getting so much attention again because of the Peel courts (even made the Daily Show).

If you're a lawyer, it won't be a great surprise to you when I say that defence lawyers sometimes "massage" the truth in order to gain public sympathy.

Then that shows your lack of understanding of how things work. A criminal defence lawyer's obligation is to do everything possible within the bounds of the law to create doubt in the government's case.

Innocent until proven guilty.
I think believing and defending the due process system, despite how guilty someone may "look" is a true test of how much one really believes in a democratic system.

The dancers made an appearance at dusk Tuesday at Bloor and Kennedy. Passersby looked puzzled, but applauded nonetheless. "It's Morris dancing," announced one member of the troupe. "Traditional English dancing."
Bloor & Kennedy?

Bloor & Kennedy
One block east of Bloor and Runnymede, in the Bloor West Village.

A good article, and good publicity which the city could probably use in the U.S. It's very reminiscent of the SARS "crisis", which was much more of a crisis in the minds of people outside Toronto than those in it.

Back