News   Jul 10, 2024
 172     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 979     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Holiday In Toronto

Are you folks hipsters on an ironic vacation?

You should also consider the Dufferin Mall, on Dufferin street just a 5 minutes stroll south of the eponymous subway station. It has a similar shopping experience and takes, maybe, 1/3 the time to get to.

I think you will find that most people who come to Canada or the USA love to shop. Oh yes the museums, architecture and culture should be sampled but not before you fill the suitcase.:D Do you realise how expensive Britain is? I can buy dvd's and cd's at a fraction of the price they are here. On my last visit to Toronto a couple of years ago I was at the airport waiting for my return flight. I got chatting to a well to do man and his wife. It turned out he was high up in banking. Anyway he said to me you know there are some really good museums in Toronto. Oh I didn't come here to look at 200 year old pots and pans I said. Although I eventually told him that my wife and I did visit a few museums. Didn't want him to think we were complete morons.:):) Shopping comes first.:D:D Will give Dufferin Mall a visit cheers m8. I

OMG, Zellers?

James, if you like Zellers...have you checked out Honest Ed at Bathrust and Bloor? The one and only largest discount department store in Canada.

I would not go to Sq 1 simply because it's just too far away. I've not been there for over 15 yrs, ha ha.

Check out other malls, Yorkdale is nice. Scarb Town Centre has Sears, Dollarama and Walmart as well.

Yes Square One is I think about one and a half hours from downtown. I was trying to remember where we got off the train to walk along Bloor st. You are right it was at Bathurst. We were in Honest Ed's. That is a beautiful walk along Bloor, lots of lovely shops and very relaxing on a pleasant day. Will definitely do that again. Cheers Mm8.

Thanks Tuscani01 and 299 bloor call control. Good info. I think when we took the ttc to Islington and then the bus to Square One it took about one and a half hours, so will go by bus this time. Apart from anything else we love to talk to the locals and see the city as we travel.

square one was recently renovated so you will notice the improvement and new stores.dont worry though Zellers is still there.i remember when square one had a Marks and Spencer twas like 15 years ago.

Yes, gbelan, Marks & Sparks pulled out in 1999. I miss their Battenberg cakes - you can't seem to find them anywhere, locally.

I'm planning a holiday to New York, and can't wait to take in the shopping in fabulous Paramus, Bergen County, New Jersey!

Mondays through Saturdays only.

Seriously. They've got malls and power centres.

This has turned into an interesting thread illustrating something of a difference between our hungry, consumer driven culture here as opposed to our friends in the Old Kingdom.

I'm planning a holiday to New York, and can't wait to take in the shopping in fabulous Paramus, Bergen County, New Jersey!

Mondays through Saturdays only.

Seriously. They've got malls and power centres.

Hey, *I'd* do that, if either (a) it was a car holiday, or (b) it was an extra-long NYC trip, allowing me to venture out into the boondocks for eccentric excursions, or (b) I had friends/relatives in Bergen County I was staying with...

Well, nice to see someone who appreciates Miss. for what it really is, a shoppers' paradise! :)

It's a bit surprising to find that someone is drawn to a mall for the shopping experience, but to each his own. As already mentioned, both Zellers and WalMart will be found in other locations as well.

James, try Yorkdale, it's right on the subway line, although it includes neither Zellers nor WalMart.

Funnily enough, I was just speaking with a co-worker, whose husband, it seems, works for Zellers HQ, and she was telling me that they (Zellers) are modelling their entire operation these days after the Target chain in the U.S...everything, buying patterns, inventory, store layout, and even fixtures & signage are apparently copying Target. I have no idea whether there is any significance to this other than copying a successful model.

I always thought that Zellers was originally based out of Montreal..

Walter P. Zeller the man that founded Zellers

I lived in Waterloo for years (arguably I grew up in K-W although it seems like most of my "growing up" was actually done in Toronto:) and there's even a street in neighbouring Kitchener named "Zeller Drive" in honour of Walter Zeller; fittingly enough, it's located in an ugly, surburban wasteland....http://maps.google.ca/maps?sourceid...:en&q=zeller+drive+kitchener&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_P._Zeller

Walter Philip Zeller (October 21, 1890 - August 25, 1957) was a Canadian businessman and founder of discount retail chain Zellers.

Zeller was born in Waterloo County, near the city of Kitchener, Ontario. He founded a chain of 12 "stores for thrifty Canadians" (as he put it) in 1931, giving it the name "Zeller's". The name was eventually changed to "Zellers" to make it more bilingually appropriate. Zellers was originally concentrated in southern Ontario but gradually expanded across the country.

In 1952, American retailer W.T. Grant Company became the largest shareholder of the company, eventually owning a 51% controlling share. W.T. Grant Company sold its interest in Zellers in 1976 to Fields Stores Limited, however Zellers reversed the acquisition by becoming the owner of Fields and its hardware subsidiary Marshall Wells Limited. In 1978, Hudson's Bay Company purchased Zellers and maintains it as a wholly owned subsidiary.

Walter Zeller lived to see the W.T. Grant Company control the company carrying his name; he died in 1957 and is buried in Montreal, at Mount Royal Cemetery in the Lilac Knoll section.

Back