News   Jul 10, 2024
 185     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 374     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Holiday In Toronto

The interesting thing is, without knowing this Zeller character, a lot of people might have assumed that "Zellers" is a corruption of "Sellers", i.e. they sell/zell a lot of stuff...

:D Ha ha, that's a bit of a stretch. But I think another "Z" retailer, Zehrs, originated in the K-W area as well. It's now part of Loblaw. Zehrs is not found in Toronto, but is strong in western Ontario.

(Sorry, veering off topic here, aren't we.)

I sometimes get confused re: Zehrs vs Loblaws. I miss the big orange "Z" they used to print on their paper bags--if Ontario bans plastic bags, do they go back to paper ones? Even more confusing--I used to know a family named Zehr so as a kid I'd get confused as to which "zehr's" I was supposed to go to....

Zellers in Kitchener kinda suits that town: James it may be the ideal town to shop at Zellers! Fairview Mall or Conestoga Mall in Waterloo!

If James really adores Zellers, why not take a trip out to Zellers Brampton HQ and then to Kitchener, where Mr Zeller's himself lived and founded the chain!?

I get the feeling James' is the sort of lad that Jeremy Clarkson makes fun of on Top Gear: a caravaner?

I think you are maybe right there.:D:D:D

Funnily enough, I was just speaking with a co-worker, whose husband, it seems, works for Zellers HQ, and she was telling me that they (Zellers) are modelling their entire operation these days after the Target chain in the U.S...everything, buying patterns, inventory, store layout, and even fixtures & signage are apparently copying Target. I have no idea whether there is any significance to this other than copying a successful model.

I always thought that Zellers was originally based out of Montreal..

I have been to a Target store as well.:D:D:D Went to the one in the Bayfair Mall in San Leandro , Ca. Oh by the way my wife and I loved it just like Zellers.:D:D:D

Let's all agree that Walt is very famous, has given a lot to the Canadian economy, has given a great shopping experience to me and the missus and should have received an honour from the Canadian Parliament.;);););)

Yes, gbelan, Marks & Sparks pulled out in 1999. I miss their Battenberg cakes - you can't seem to find them anywhere, locally.

I have a Mark's and Spencer story to share... it was back in the early 90's when T3 at Pearson was just being completed. One day, I happened to be sitting by myself having a drink in the lounge level at the CN Tower. This woman who was also alone was having trouble finding a place to sit so she asked if she could join me. She had a British accent and told me it was her first time being in Canada. We discussed the various pros and cons of our two countries. As it turned out, she was coordinating M & S move into the new Terminal 3. I was well impressed at the time... who knew it would be such a short run?

In the '70s there was a Scottish restaurant on the south side of Queen East ( waaay out there somewhere ... ), but it closed many years ago.

Slightly behind, I think. Tartan's been pretty fashionable for a couple of years now. They say it's the new black.

Back