News   May 17, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 682     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 6.4K     7 

Highway 427: Highway or Homes

One of the slowest drives in southern Ontario is Highway 10 between Shelburne and Owen Sound. Passing through many small towns and lots of local, slow traffic, and no passing lanes. I'd be cool with some road upgradings, some by-passes, but Highway 410 needs not go past Valleywood. Highway 10 could use upgrades instead (a Shelburne bypass, perhaps, some additional 4-laning, some passing lanes).

I would be interested in why you think Valleywood is the logical place to stop 410? It always seemed like the wrong place to stop for me......I would take it to Orangeville, at least...and look at further extensions later.

As a resident in the area it always stunned me that extending 427/400/404 north always seems to get easy support and people have a sort of "duh, of course they need extending" atitude but you never hear support or outcry for 410 extending north?

Not taking a shot at you but, based on other posts of yours on other subjects, I assume you have a thought out reason for picking Valleywood as a place to stop....hearing it might help me understand.

Somehow, Orangeville seems logical to me, too--though it may all might as well take quasi-super-2 form north of Valleywood, with a Caledon bypass for good measure...

I would be interested in why you think Valleywood is the logical place to stop 410? It always seemed like the wrong place to stop for me......I would take it to Orangeville, at least...and look at further extensions later.

Not taking a shot at you but, based on other posts of yours on other subjects, I assume you have a thought out reason for picking Valleywood as a place to stop....hearing it might help me understand.

Because Valleywood is where the current extension is planned to stop. And I've never encountered slow traffic on Highway 10 until it narrows to 2 lanes on top of the Escarpment before entering Caledon Village. It is going to be 4-laned from there to Highway 9. If a by-pass is completed in Shelburne, and some improvements to Highway 10 through Grey County done, that's all that will ever need.

What we don't do in Ontario well is a middle ground between full freeways and two lane roads like in parts of the US or Europe - there's a lot more places where simple dual carriageways or 4-lane highways make sense, like Baden to Stratford, Orangeville to Shelburne, Barrie to Collingwood. The fact that the only useful road between Guelph and K/W is a two lane highway is pathetic.

I'm from Brampton, and know Caledon and Orangeville well.

I'm not particularly in favour of a 427 extension either past Nashville. Just make it easy to get to Highway 50 and Highway 27 from where ever they finish it. The 404 does not excite me either.

I am in favour of a freeway somewhere between Hamilton/Brantford and Kitchener/Waterloo/Guelph. Highway 6 is being upgraded, if it gets freeway treatment, it plus some bypasses and upgrades of Highways 6 and/or 24 will be fine.

Last edited:
Because Valleywood is where the current extension is planned to stop. And I've never encountered slow traffic on Highway 10 until it narrows to 2 lanes on top of the Escarpment before entering Caledon Village. It is going to be 4-laned from there to Highway 9. If a by-pass is completed in Shelburne, and some improvements to Highway 10 through Grey County done, that's all that will ever need.

What we don't do in Ontario well is a middle ground between full freeways and two lane roads like in parts of the US or Europe - there's a lot more places where simple dual carriageways or 4-lane highways make sense, like Baden to Stratford, Orangeville to Shelburne, Barrie to Collingwood. The fact that the only useful road between Guelph and K/W is a two lane highway is pathetic.

I'm from Brampton, and know Caledon and Orangeville well.

I'm not particularly in favour of a 427 extension either past Nashville. Just make it easy to get to Highway 50 and Highway 27 from where ever they finish it. The 404 does not excite me either.

I am in favour of a freeway somewhere between Hamilton/Brantford and Kitchener/Waterloo/Guelph. Highway 6 is being upgraded, if it gets freeway treatment, it plus some bypasses and upgrades of Highways 6 and/or 24 will be fine.

Thanks....every time I drive north to friends' cottages I am impressed by highway 11 north of Orrillia....that seems to me to be a good "middle ground" and I have often wondered why no one ever built something like that (as, either, an extension of 410 or an improvement of 10) up to the cottage areas in the NW or ski country....would seem to me that would be bit of boost to tourism in that part of Ontario).......of course I also wonder why we don't have a train that goes to ski country....something very cool about the image of a train with a plough on the front taking people to ski country!!!

Don't get me started on Highway 6, that road could arguably use a centre barrier more than 7 between Kitchener and Guelph

As 7 betwen Kitchener and Guelph is only 2-lanes, and Highway 6 is 4-lanes, then a centre barrrier actually has some merit. I don't see how you would put it on a 2-lane road - would make it difficult to overtake a tractor, and plowing would become interesting.

Whether or not highway 7 needs to become a fully grade separate freeway or a bypass needs to be built is debatable, but there definitely needs to be 4 lanes on this road. Personally, I would rather see improvement in rail service between both Kitchener and Guelph and Cambridge and Guelph as at least part of the study to determine whether or not a full bypass is justifiable.

Highway 7 should merely be widened in the short term, perhaps with the bypass between Highway 85 and Bingeman's. I don't think there's a pressing need for a new freeway between Hanlan Parkway and Conestoga Parkway, let's see what four-laning 7 does first.

The Highway 7 (KW-Guelph) EA was approved in 2007, with some modifications over the previous plan. There will be a full four-lane freeway between 85/Wellington and the Hanlon. The cost is about $300-400 million. Right now they are doing detailed design and property acquisitions.

http://www.highway7ea.ca/home.html

6b48421d4002a04daf188748539d.jpeg

92df3e864e73a07c90193ee65cf6.jpeg

http://news.therecord.com/article/248928

Last edited:
Highway 7 should merely be widened in the short term, perhaps with the bypass between Highway 85 and Bingeman's. I don't think there's a pressing need for a new freeway between Hanlan Parkway and Conestoga Parkway, let's see what four-laning 7 does first.
Given that you'll turn it into something similiar to 6, which was recently called the most dangerous highway in the province, then I'd think whichever engineer submitted such a design, would have their licence suspended for endangering the public.

Enough people have died on the present highway. We don't need any more deaths.

I still don't see what is so dangerous about highway 6.

The road is very straight.

Are all the accident when people drive on the wrong side of the road.

Well 4 lane rural roads are very fast (easily you can drive 100km/hr), but they really cause trouble if you want to get on the road.

that is strange.

Highway 50 and especially highway 10 are long straight stretch stretches of 4-lane rural highway and people easily drive over 100-110km/hr.

There are many accidents but nowhere near the number on highway 6.

I thought Highway 6 did not have that centre turning lane but I remember that it does and Google map confirms it???

Nevertheless no matter how hard you try, people will always go near 100km on those roads. So it is best to install centre dividers.

I remember driving down Highway 10 doing 105 and there were cars zipping past at over 120. What do you expect will happen with a wide open road with out a light until past the Horizon!!

Last edited:
Frequenting that area very much, the traffic congestion is caused by trucks entering and leaving the CP yard at Rutherford Road. I don't support a highway expansion beyond there.

But of course I'm a transit advocate...

Back