News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Highway 427: Highway or Homes

Mayfield Road ends at Highway 50, so you can't extend it to Mayfield Road :p

Kirby Road is the nearest road to the Mayfield Alignment, but Nashville Road to the south is a major arterial.

I do not know... ^^^

Adding an extra lane would require zero work really as the bridges are wide enough and their is space in the middle.

I remember when Vaughan Mills opened it was a big deal and even people from Mississauga were going there. I haven't heard of anyone going to Vaughan Mills recently. Though I'm sure it's still busy with people from the North.

Vaughan Mills gets a ton of traffic from Extreme North (Northwest) Toronto, East Brampton and York Region as well. Actually, I Live in East Brampton and its the closest major mall, Square one is further.

I do not know... ^^^

Adding an extra lane would require zero work really as the bridges are wide enough and their is space in the middle.

Vaughan Mills gets a ton of traffic from Extreme North (Northwest) Toronto, East Brampton and York Region as well. Actually, I Live in East Brampton and its the closest major mall, Square one is further.

In between Vaughan Mills and Square 1 there is a pretty major mall called the Bramalea City Centre...sure that is not closer to you?

Unless I'm mistaken, BCC is smaller than Vaughan Mills by ~100,000 to 200,000 feet which is a noticeable difference. I also think it's under renovations so I'm not sure how much of it is has been moved around.

Unless I'm mistaken, BCC is smaller than Vaughan Mills by ~100,000 to 200,000 feet which is a noticeable difference. I also think it's under renovations so I'm not sure how much of it is has been moved around.

Not sure how accurate it is or how up-to-date but wikki shows BCC as being +/- 100k s.f. larger than VM........regardless.....it is a major mall (which is the comparison language used).

The renovations are making Bramalea bigger..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_shopping_malls_in_Canada

Last edited:
Bramalea is more a local mall...

Even with its massive size mostly its 99% local's that go there.

However I think after they add new renovations and add some better stores, its status could change...

Vaughan Mills is nothing real special however it still draw a huge number of people.

I would imagine only Yorkdale, Square one and Eaton draw in larger crowds.

Bramalea is more a local mall...

Even with its massive size mostly its 99% local's that go there.

don't want to get into a big debate over this (cause you are free to go to whatever mall you want to) but I was responding to your comment that Vaughan Mills is the closest major mall to east Brampton and that Square One is too far.

By any definition in the commercial real estate world, BCC is a major mall pre or post expansion. The fact that people going there are local has no bearing on its majorness. It is a major regional mall, conveniently located in east Brampton (using either of the traditional definitions "east of main" or "east of 410").

You may not like the mall and may prefer to shop at VM....fine...but you cannot dismiss BCC as anything other than what it is just because you don't like it. It is a regional mall of major proportions and has sales per square foot very similar to Sherway Gardens (as an example).

Well your right actually...

Bramalea was going down the tubes in the late 90's and early part of this decade.

However once they renovated and added more stores in 2002-2004 its a much more busier and more popular place.

The new renovations will add over 75 stores and it appears the mall will take a shift to being a bit more upscale but still accessible to regular working class types like how sqaure one is.

Yorkdale is great but its far to pricey for most people.

I doubt we will see new major malls being built in some times. It appears the focus will be on renovating new malls, building strip malls.

However if the Don Mills Centre turns out successful you may see one of these in the suburbs somewhere.

Well your right actually...

Bramalea was going down the tubes in the late 90's and early part of this decade.

However once they renovated and added more stores in 2002-2004 its a much more busier and more popular place.

The new renovations will add over 75 stores and it appears the mall will take a shift to being a bit more upscale but still accessible to regular working class types like how sqaure one is.

Yorkdale is great but its far to pricey for most people.

I doubt we will see new major malls being built in some times. It appears the focus will be on renovating new malls, building strip malls.

However if the Don Mills Centre turns out successful you may see one of these in the suburbs somewhere.

The current trend among mall owners should be very pleasing to people on a board called Urban...

Every ICSC conference/paper I have seen in the past couple of years has had some discussion about intensification.....now, in malls, it is not necesarilly the urban definition of high rise intensification....it is more about getting more sales generating square feet on each acre of land.

BCC is, actually, a perfect example...while they are revovating/expanding the core mall, the major thrust is to cover some of those outer parking lots with buildings that generate sales and, therefore, rent.

TOareafan:

I don't know - the current trend of "intensifying" malls more often than not revolves around building big box stores at the periphery of the site, in a way with little (and more often no) street-level engagement (like, at the very least, an entrance from the street). It certain wasn't urban in the UT sense of the word. Now of course there are exceptions - e.g. Sherway.

AoD

Last edited:
TOareafan:

I don't know - the current trend of "intensifying" malls more often than not revolves around building big box stores at the periphery of the site, in a way with little (and more often no) street-level engagement (like, at the very least, an entrance from the street). It certain wasn't urban in the UT sense of the word.

AoD

agree and with each project there is an attempt to "do it better" but what should make people somewhat happy is that the "plunk it in a field-surround it with acres of surface parking-who cares what it looks like" sort of mentality is gone. The "mall" will never become a great monument to urbanity...but the trend in the industry is to make it less of a blight.....which, at least, is a good trend.....no?

TOareafan:

Actually no, the result is quite often even worse than the prototypical mall - the decentralization of retail into big boxes meant that the central mall itself often becomes even less attractive with the traffic diverted to stores outside - not to mention the fact that transit access - which often consist of some kind of stop/transfer station centred around the original mall - is made worse since none of those stores at the periphery can be accessed easily by pedestrians in a climate controlled environment.

AoD

TOareafan:

I don't know - the current trend of "intensifying" malls more often than not revolves around building big box stores at the periphery of the site, in a way with little (and more often no) street-level engagement (like, at the very least, an entrance from the street). It certain wasn't urban in the UT sense of the word. Now of course there are exceptions - e.g. Sherway.

AoD

There are plans for intensification around Vaughan Mills, at least on the east side along Jane.

Jane Street Corridor Review

And in terms of transit, the YRT terminal was built for potential pedestrians/transit users

Vaughan Mills is disgusting, especially the plazas on the north of the property. I've never seen such bland, half-assed design in my life.

Back