News   May 08, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.8K     3 

HarbourPoint Condos, 250-270 Queens Quay W (Huang & Danczkay, 20 + 2x 31s, ?)

Is it reasonable to think that someday they could be dynamited? Fortunately they're invisible to 99.999% of the world. Unfortunately, that last 001% is smack in the middle of our waterfront. The only good thing about them is that they hide part of the Gardiner.

City council should give a tax break to the property owners of those three buildings so that they might do something to improve there look. A possible fix might be to clad all three in reflective glass. One Gold, one Silver and one Bronze might be cool. And fix the podiums to help them fit in better with the rest of Queens Quay.

I think reflective glass would just make it worse. At least the windows and masonry pattern breaks up the mass of these three.

Just throw in more retail, and try to cover up the garage openings (ie: horizontal strips of wood, metal, whatever) and it won't be so bad. It is built right to the street, and brings in density.

They add a lot of people to the community. Bad projects like this do have one saving grace, that they bolster the population in a neighbourhood, and allow it to grow stronger.

Its very odd when you think about i. Not only are they unattractive buildings that are front and centre on the waterfront- but the don't even afford what most people are expecting from a waterfront suite.

Sounds like a fair compromise to me: Piss off both groups; (those who want a good lookin' waterfront vs those who want to live there and have waterfront views). How Canadian.

Hume's view `bang on'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trio of ugly ducklings settled at water's edge. Feb. 21

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Christopher Hume's assessment of the three ugly sisters Queens Quay was bang on! We have a great city but the architecture that is present on Queens Quay, especially these condos. really detracts from what the waterfront could be.

Matthew Patterson, Toronto

Embarassment

Whenever I drive by and see Harbourpoint I feel sad. It has such a commanding/visible location and is an embarrassment to this city. Hume's mention of dynamite is exciting.

Lynda Kelly, Toronto

Dymanite site

Hume is brilliant in his analysis of the dismal state of Toronto's waterfront, thanks largely to the greed of developers and the clear lack of a unified vision of the waterfront from the city's planners.

I grew up in Regent Park and can assure you that some of the condominium buildings on the waterfront are much poorer in architectural interest.

In my opinion, Hume is too generous in his expression when he states "Harbourpoint should be dynamited."

Roy Comrie, Toronto

Bad taste

Hume's assessment of the trio of ugly ducklings was right on the money.

This is a classic example of greed, bad taste and poor planning on the part of the people who had a hand in making this monstrosity happen.

If we want to become a world city and live up to our own ambitions we should do as Hume suggested and dynamite these three buildings. Toronto cannot afford these mistakes.

I would like to think that this type of development was in the past.

Love reading Hume's column — keep up the good work.

Steve Hulford, Toronto

Accurate call

As usual, Hume has accurately criticized another architectural blunder and urban-planning fiasco in Toronto. I recall the outrage when Harbourpoint was first opened. The architects were practically run out of town.

The only saving grace to this sorry mess is that the buildings are on the north side of Queens Quay, where all Harbourfront condos should have gone.

The lake front at Queens Quay should never have been designated as private property. Look west of Spadina for inspiration. The short stretch of Queens Quay from Spadina almost to Bathurst is what Harbourfront could have been.

Let's pray that the same urban planners who delivered Harbourpoint don't get their hands on Queens Quay east of Yonge.

Sadly, the keynote central stretch Spadina to Yonge has been lost — unless we can heed Hume's advice to dynamite these projects. Be sure to include the towers walling off the island ferry terminal.

Paul Green, Toronto

Wow, a lot of support.

What about the other two repulsive condos a couple doors down? The concrete 21 storey twins with a slightly curved front corner and squared on the other corners. Also comes with an oversized podium set waaaay back from the road.

Those are rental - easier to demolish

I don't find these bland twin towers replusive. (Of course minus the 5 storey above ground garage.)

I think Harbourpoint outdoes those other buildings. With their little lagoon, it's not impossible to think of ways of improving them at ground level, whereas Harbourpoint there is little to be done. I think Harbourpoint truly ranks as the most hated complex in Toronto.

Gosh- I just walked by these monstrosities this afternoon. They are horrible for a waterfront property.

I was one of the guys they quoted in Saturday's paper... regarding this building.

I have hated these three for such a long time, and they represent all that is wrong with our developers and city planners... I just had to write a rant about them!!!

It looks like these three bring out the same ire in the people in this forum!

Lets hope they dynamite the place!

Steve Hulford

It may be too late to do anything about these suckers but can't the Fed's, or any other level of gov't, eventually buy the Weston Harbour Castle and the little Radisson hotel and demolish those (maybe offering them sights elsewhere in the city as compensation)?

Back