News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

HarbourPoint Condos, 250-270 Queens Quay W (Huang & Danczkay, 20 + 2x 31s, ?)

These are awful but I think D is appropriate...if not, then who knows what the ones that line the waterfront would get...G-?

"One of the things I have noticed most about this discussion list is that there is always someone to defend a building"

They do represent the best of 80s residential architecture.

OK, how about this - from a distance, they block less of the view of the lake (or city depending which way you're facing) than the newer towers (like Waterclub or Riviera).

The best thing about them is that from Yonge and King you can't see them.

They're nothing different than any other modern building in Toronto.

Oh Yanni .. that comment is a little bit like hearing someone say "There's been no good music since the Andrews Sisters". Not necessarily an unreasonable point of view to take, but not someone you'd want to talk to for a very long time about contemporary music. :|

Regarding shoddy construction, I know those buildings have had their windows replaced. I don't know whether it was for additional insulation or leaks or something else though.

They're no better from the inside either. Closed concept, angled in an attempt to allow everyone a view of the lake (non-square corners at every wall). The lobby is small and dingy. The elevators are slow and the tennis court is poorly maintained.

However, for non-sardine lakefront units, they're actually afordable by the average joe.

"One of the things I have noticed most about this discussion list is that there is always someone to defend a building, but this have no takers."

I don't think they're that ugly... certainly not as bad as Hume and certain forumers make them out to be. There are much uglier buildings in Toronto that treat the street much worse than these things do. Now those condos on the south side of Queen's Quay... I despise those.

Between these and the harbour castle towers, they represent Toronto's biggest mistakes. Unfortunately the waterfront will always be at a disadvntage because of them.

I find the original Harbour Castle Towers nicer then these (not considering the 300 foot wall they create between street and sea)

P.S. - I hate yellow to brown brick more than even pre-cast. I also hate windows (small openings below a large panel) that were so popular in the eighties as well (not sure if these towers or harbour square has them)

Anywhere else in the city they would be thought of as OK. Here I think people think of what could of been and are dissapointed.

I knew people who rented places in one of those condos. They moved. They thought paying $1750 a month to share a building in which what they said, entire floors had been rented out to accomodate landed refugees/other government housing needs was too much to tolerate. I was just shocked that the government rented prime waterfront condos to house these people. They could have rented in my old condo where I was just paying 900 bucks a month in East York, a footstep away from transit.

Yes these buildings are ugly, especially the stains on the gardiner side.

I've never really though about these buildings- so i guess I don't mind them all that much. One thing I can't figure out is why 80% of the windows don't face the lake. In fact most of them just face the next building..what's the point of having a condo on the waterfront if you don't get a view of it? Frankly if they couldn't off me a suite overlooing the water then I wouldn't ven bother with it.

..what's the point of having a condo on the waterfront if you don't get a view of it?
My thoughts exactly and very weird as it did represent one of the first major residential developments on Toronto's waterfront.

Yet despite this, 90% of the units ignore the lake and face directly east or west instead. They also -- for the most part -- turn their back on skyline views as well. Worse still, most units face another "ugly ducking" giving the residents a constant reminder of the this mistake by the lake they are living in.

Back