News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 421     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Hamilton - Tim Horton's Field

Hamilton had 22,000 people on average last season. If 1 in 4 bring a car that's 5500 cars...

The team has been in Hamilton for 130 years? And this owner wants to move them to Quebec? He's a Jack-Ass with a capital J and capital A.

There is 'overflow' at CFL games? I didn't know that CFL was that popular in Hamilton.

While TiCats games are quite popular, I think that was kind of his point. There wouldn't really be the need for overflow parking, and the land could then be sold off for a tidy profit.

Toronto mayor urges Ticats to rethink stand

Published On Fri Aug 13 2010
Vanessa Lu
Staff Reporter
http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/847696--toronto-mayor-urges-ticats-to-rethink-stand

Toronto Mayor David Miller says the Hamilton Tiger-Cats should rethink its decision to walk away from the downtown site for the Pan Am stadium.

“The idea of having stadiums at the intersections of expressways is an idea from the 1970s. It’s totally out of date,” Miller told the Star on Friday. “I hope the Ticats come back to the table.”

Owner Bob Young threw the Ticats’ future into doubt this week when he announced the team would not move to the city’s preferred choice on the west harbour, considered key to Hamilton’s revitalization efforts.

Hamilton city council voted 10-6 for the downtown site, which Mayor Fred Eisenberger had pushed hard, over a spot on the East Mountain, preferred by Young and the team.

The Tiger-Cats play in 80-year-old Ivor Wynne, which needs to be replaced, but Young has threatened to move the CFL franchise to another city.

“The American owner of the Ticats has done wonderful things,” Miller said. “But this is an American idea of where you put a stadium — out in the suburbs at the intersection of highways. It’s not a Canadian idea.”

Miller pointed to the success of BMO Field where the Toronto FC soccer club plays its home games, just a stone’s throw from the waterfront.

“You walk in the Liberty district before and after a TFC game and it’s booming. It’s helped rejuvenate Parkdale,” the mayor said. “That’s what a stadium can do if you put it in the right place.”

Miller said he hopes provincial and Pan Am officials will back the city of Hamilton, which does not know if the stadium can go ahead if there is no permanent tenant after the 2015 Games.

“They have made the right decision,” Miller said, adding the city deserves to host track and field, even though Pan Am officials announced last month amid the stadium wrangling that those events would move elsewhere with Hamilton getting soccer instead.

“Hostco apparently has made preliminary decision to move it. I don’t think it’s right. I think it should have remained with Hamilton,” he added.

Miller argued that part of the goal of hosting the Pan Am Games is to build legacies that can endure long after the Games.

“Rejuvenating Hamilton’s downtown would be an incredible legacy,” he said. “My view is the Tiger Cats should be proud to be part of that.”

Wow I actually agree with Miller on something. Amazing! I am glad he has spoken out on this issue though.

He's completely right, the West Harbour location is the best location that was proposed.
It would not only help to revitalize the Harbourfront, but would bring more business to bars and restaurants in downtown Hamilton for people who are either going to the game, or coming back from it.
There is also more parking areas than at Ivor Wynne, which is a "problem" that Bob Young made up as a reason to why it wasn't a good spot...

The team has been in Hamilton for 130 years? And this owner wants to move them to Quebec? He's a Jack-Ass with a capital J and capital A.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats trace their roots to the Hamilton Football Club which was established in 1869. This makes the Tiger-Cats are the oldest professional sports team in North America. The present day club is a result of an amalgamation of 2 Hamilton clubs, so some argue that the Toronto Argonauts (1873) are the oldest since they've gone by the same name and been based in the same city since the beginning. Any way you slice it, these 2 teams are the 2 oldest on the continent.

They're older than the Leafs, the Yankees, the Red Sox... all of them!

Last edited:
There is 'overflow' at CFL games? I didn't know that CFL was that popular in Hamilton.

Montreal has had 94 consecutive sell outs, while Saskatchewan usually sells out most home dates. Calgary usually sells out a few home dates, while Winnipeg and Hamilton might do it just once a season. I think Edmonton sold out 62,000 seat Commonwealth once last season. Only Vancouver and Toronto never sell out, but play in fairly large stadia.

Overall, Canadian cities tend to be much smaller than US cities so crowds are going to reflect that.

Last edited:
Montreal has had 94 consecutive sell outs, while Saskatchewan usually sells out most home dates. Calgary usually sells out a few home dates, while Winnipeg and Hamilton might do it just once a season. I think Edmonton sold out 62,000 seat Commonwealth once last season. Only Vancouver and Toronto never sell out, but play in fairly large stadia.

Overall, Canadian cities tend to be much smaller than US cities so crowds are going to reflect that.

couple of points....using Milwuakee as the city behind Green Bay Packer's attendance.....5 CFL cities have larger populations to draw on than the Packers...so population is not only factor at play here (poluarlity of the sport/league matters).......Montreal's sell outs are in a very small stadium (20k) relative to the size of the city and they lose money at that (explains the expansion of the Mcgill and the need to play the odd game at the Big Owe)....on that matter, has the stadium been expanded, just spent the last week in Quebec and noticed some tv ads for Als tickets.....they must have some to sell now.

One last question (hope this is not taken wrong) to the people who are glad Miller spoke up....would you be saying the same thing if his opinion of the stadium location was different? I guess what I am asking is....it his opinion you are applauding or his interjection into another city's affairs? (put another way, if he had said "east mountain is the place to be"...would the posts here be "glad miller is speaking up" or would they be "miller should butt out of Hamilton's affairs"?)

Last edited:
?

Miller would never recommend a suburban location over a central one for something like this, so it's hard to imagine an answer for your question as it stands.

I can imagine Rob Ford speaking out on behalf of the East Mountain site though, and I would expect all those who liked Miller's comments would be upset with the reverse. So yes, the answer is "Ford should butt out of Toronto's affairs".

One last question (hope this is not taken wrong) to the people who are glad Miller spoke up....would you be saying the same thing if his opinion of the stadium location was different? I guess what I am asking is....it his opinion you are applauding or his interjection into another city's affairs? (put another way, if he had said "east mountain is the place to be"...would the posts here be "glad miller is speaking up" or would they be "miller should butt out of Hamilton's affairs"?)

He didn't really interject himself into it though. The stadium location has already been decided. He is trying to convince Bob Young that the chosen location can work for the Tiger Cats.

I'm just glad West Harbour won.

Having spent a wee bit of time during my vacation considering the different options, I think I agree with this. It would seem to me that West Harbour is a better site.....that said though, if it kills the TiCats and we do end up spending tax payer money on a stadium that has no after-games uses I will change my mind...none of the advantages of West Harbour get realized if there is no use for/of the stadium.

Back