Hamilton - Tim Horton's Field

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Link to article

Tiger-Cats to get new stadium?

DAVID NAYLOR

September 29, 2007

It turns out Ottawa isn't the only city where a new CFL stadium looks as if it may be in order.

Now, it's Hamilton's turn.

Just days after engineers in Ottawa recommended one portion of Frank Clair Stadium be demolished because it is unsafe, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats say their 77-year-old stadium may be on its last legs, too.

And the team is calling on city officials to develop a plan to ensure the team has a place to play if Ivor Wynne Stadium is deemed unsafe.

Many expect that will happen in the next two to three years.

"At some point in the next three years there's going to have to be a major decision made over whether to renovate Ivor Wynne Stadium or look at a new project," said Tiger-Cats' president Scott Mitchell.

"The Tiger-Cats would be happy with either scenario. We're just a tenant that needs a place to play.

"We'd be happy to stay or to talk about the bigger picture of where sport development fits in Hamilton and the Niagara region."

Mitchell says he has quietly discussed the stadium issue with prominent businessmen and local politicians over the past few months, hoping to get a proactive start on what he believes is an inevitable decision and a potential opportunity.

The team was advised several years ago that portions of the stadium may not be usable beyond 2009.

"This is not a hypothetical," Mitchell said. "One of two things will happen. They have to renovate Ivor Wynne or build a new one. This is not 'we'd like to'. This has to happen in the next two years."

Ivor Wynne Stadium, once known as Civic Stadium, was built for the 1930 British Empire Games.

While it lacks many modern stadium amenities, Ticats owner Bob Young spruced it up considerably when he bought the team four years ago, making it a decent place to watch football, at least for now.

But Mitchell estimates keeping it that way will be a $30-to-$40-million investment, money that could be invested in a new facility with broader uses.

"A CFL team is not in a position to dictate it wants a new stadium," Mitchell said. "With the economics of the CFL, that's not realistic. So you've got to look at economic development and how it affects the big picture. But if it's just about the stadium then just rebuild Ivor Wynne Stadium."

stadium2.jpg

CommonwealthStadium.jpg

I don't suppose it would be possible to build a stadium that could be used for the ti-cats and a future nhl team?

I don't suppose it would be possible to build a stadium that could be used for the ti-cats and a future nhl team?

They already have Copps Colesium.

I really like that rendering. If it turns out like that they'll have quite a nice stadium. It's a shame BMO field doesn't look like that.

Commonwealth Stadium

I doubt that's the stadium plan currently being proposed. The stadium is marked Commonwealth Stadium in those renderings, so they date back at least 3 years when Hamilton un successfully bid for the 2010 Commonwealth Games.

I know that the debate is taking place in Hamilton now about where to locate the new stadium. I would place it in or near downtown along one of the new planned rapid transit lines.

Louroz

That rendering was for the Commonwealth Games bid they lost a few years back, right? To bad they weren't successful--there's no way the Ti-cats will get that kind of funding.

Hamilton is currently preparing a bid for the 2015 Pan Ams Games, a couple of articles about it in the local newspaper. That's likely how a new stadium will be financed.

Mayor Fred said he would prefer a stadium in the downtown area, either where John MacDonald high school is located or the parking lots at John and King William. Though it appears most councilors support the original idea of a stadium near the waterfront as proposed for the Commonwealth Games, it'll be a way to connect the downtown to the waterfront.

Here's another view of the Stadium

stadium11.jpg

This new look for Ivor Wynne Stadium was an architect's design included in Hamilton's Commonwealth Games bid.

Kiwi - that rendering cannot in any way based on a capacity of 15,000 or even an expanded 25,000 as being discussed.

The lower bowl might be 15,000 and adding one end zone and one upper deck might bring it to 25,000 - but that isn't what shown.

Also, the previous rendering (with the blue and yellow seats) shows a stadium well in excess of 50,000 seats.

It's one thing to borrow renders from other stadiums for the purposes of showing how a stadium can fit into a certain location - but take my word for it - the end result will be nothing like these renders.

Support West Harbour (Downtown) Stadium

Please help us convince Hamilton City Council to choose the above West Harbour Stadium location over the newly proposed East Mountain Suburban location.

Sign the online petition, and get tons more info here: http://ourcityourfuture.ca/

Without your support, the City's $60 Million contribution will go to clear out a wheat field intersected by two highways in the suburbs rather than cleaning up a contaminated brownfield in a dense neighbourhood steps from our Core.

The West Harbour stadium is not an option. Bob Young the owner of the Ticats said it is East Mountain or No stadium. He will move the team to Ottawa if they choose West Mountain, and there is no way to city is going to build a stadium without a tenant.

I am going to lobby each Hamilton council member Very hard to choose the East Mountain location.

The East Mountain stadium will be a drain on the tax base of Hamilton and will be a waste of the current financial resources of all players involved. If Hamiltonians have any brains at all they will vote out ALL councillors who vote for the east mountain site. Bob Young can go to h___ for holding a city of 500,000 hostage.

Lansdowne Park

The West Harbour stadium is not an option. Bob Young the owner of the Ticats said it is East Mountain or No stadium. He will move the team to Ottawa if they choose West Mountain, and there is no way to city is going to build a stadium without a tenant.

I am going to lobby each Hamilton council member Very hard to choose the East Mountain location.

Doubt it. The new Lansdowne Park (where Ottawa's stadium is) has even LESS parking, and even LESS visibility than the West Harbour.

Check out the new Lansdown Park: http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/public_consult/lansdowne_partnership/index_en.html

Back