News   Jul 12, 2024
 215     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 369     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 216     0 

H5 & H6 Final Run

Shame :( . It really allows the trains to fly in old Toronto where the stops are closer together.

At least Montreal has the right idea, not only do their trains accelerate like a jackrabbit (in part due to the rubber tire design), but apparently their new trains are going to accelerate even FASTER. I believe I read somewhere that part of their strategy to increase capacity on their system was to increase how quickly their trains move through the system.
If you have ever been in Montreal you will know that the Metro there is FAR less frequent than the TTC subway here so whether it accelerates faster is not really much help. In fact, in Montreal people run for the platform when they hear a train coming, here few bother as the next one will be along very soon.

If you have ever been in Montreal you will know that the Metro there is FAR less frequent than the TTC subway here so whether it accelerates faster is not really much help. In fact, in Montreal people run for the platform when they hear a train coming, here few bother as the next one will be along very soon.

We are so fortunate to live in Toronto. People in most cities don't have the luxury of choosing not to run for the subway since they come relatively infrequently. Even in cities like New York and Chicago I've seen cases where the headway is 20 minutes+. Here in Toronto, the subway is never no more than 15 minutes away (in the middle of the night) and 3 minutes during rush hour.

On weekdays, the Metro runs from every 3 minutes to 10 minutes on the orange and green lines and 4 to 11 minutes on the yellow and blue. Weekends are from 5 to 11 minutes.

http://www.stm.info/English/metro/a-frequence.htm#green

There's no point running for a TTC train anywhere near rush hour because you'll probably have to let 3 or 4 trains go by before you can pry yourself into one.

compared to 6 minutes on the Sheppard line at 11pm, Montreal's subway is very low frequency. They also have much smaller trains, so this comes as surprising to me.. I thought they would have high frequencies as they need to deal with the lack of capacity at rush hour.

compared to 6 minutes on the Sheppard line at 11pm, Montreal's subway is very low frequency. They also have much smaller trains, so this comes as surprising to me.. I thought they would have high frequencies as they need to deal with the lack of capacity at rush hour.

Maybe that's why the TTC is such a basket case. Running empty trains a 6 minute intervals on the stubway to nowhere doesn't seem like a wise allocation of limited funds.

Maybe that's why the TTC is such a basket case. Running empty trains a 6 minute intervals on the stubway to nowhere doesn't seem like a wise allocation of limited funds.

I'm glad the TTC does this. If they didn't, less people would use public transit because of the unpredictable headways. It's important for trains to be close by whenever customers need them.

We are so fortunate to live in Toronto. People in most cities don't have the luxury of choosing not to run for the subway since they come relatively infrequently. Even in cities like New York and Chicago I've seen cases where the headway is 20 minutes+. Here in Toronto, the subway is never no more than 15 minutes away (in the middle of the night) and 3 minutes during rush hour.

NY and Chicago are 20 minutes at night. Most of the day it is 10 minutes. And they run 24hrs something Toronto does not do.

When I went to Montreal a couple of years back, I found the frequency to be less than Toronto's but not horrible either. I'll admit I didn't take it during rush hour though, the one time I needed transit during this period I opted for a downtown bus which had its own lane for the entire route during this time period.

Reason why I took the bus over the train was because of the smaller trains, and how hot the stations are. Not to mention that the trains are ventilated rather than air conditioned... One thing Toronto does do right is maintaining comfortable temperatures in stations and trains. Montreal's stations are much, much nicer to look at...

I've waited quite a bit longer than the posted schedule for late night subways.

King Station in July/August is anything but comfortable. For me it's one of the upsides of any move to get PEDs done in the "U" section of the subway - extend the airconditioning of the PATH to the subway platform while keeping more brake dust etc out.

As for running 24 hours, that's something you can do if you have express/local tracks and can alternate maintenance, or have signalling which allows wrong way running when there are longer intervals between trains. TTC will notionally be able to do that after 2016 but I have my doubts that they will bite the bullet since it may lengthen the time to complete maintenance for the same reason they want to shut down Pape.

Shame :( . It really allows the trains to fly in old Toronto where the stops are closer together.

I guess it really is no longer the Red Rocket.

I think if the TTC kept a few (let's say at least 2) of every train they had, and brought it out for marketing purposes, or nostalgia, the TTC in general would get more public support. It seems they bury everything (along with their heritage) they had, with only the people who are actually interested in it knowing what is really going on.

A TTC museum type sort I think would be awesome too (even more awesome if it was set up like a station with various trains on the platforms) for public relations purposes and keeping the brand and heritage going strong. Especially since people will relate to the specific trains they rode on at a certain point in time.

I guess it really is no longer the Red Rocket.

I think if the TTC kept a few (let's say at least 2) of every train they had, and brought it out for marketing purposes, or nostalgia, the TTC in general would get more public support. It seems they bury everything (along with their heritage) they had, with only the people who are actually interested in it knowing what is really going on.

A TTC museum type sort I think would be awesome too (even more awesome if it was set up like a station with various trains on the platforms) for public relations purposes and keeping the brand and heritage going strong. Especially since people will relate to the specific trains they rode on at a certain point in time.

The TTC does have some legacy streetcars lying around. Also think they decided to keep one of the GM New Look buses as well once it was retired from revenue service. The only heritage subway around I believe is at the rail museum in Milton (ironically not accessible by transit...).

I wonder if they could arrange a permanent loan of the Gloucester cars. Can't really run them too much in Rockwood.

It's been suggested that yesterday was the last day for the H5, and we won't be riding them anymore, well at least not here.

[video=youtube;IQQKiArLyxU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQQKiArLyxU[/video]

Last edited:

Back