News   Jul 12, 2024
 418     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 477     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 266     0 

H5 & H6 Final Run

The ressurection, with more advanced features than ours, including the use of a modern, contactless Chip Card fare collection system.

257_EXTERIOR_MONTAGE_001a.jpg

picture1.png

Lagos is not building a light rail system. It's just a term they're using for the project.

The H6 subway cars are almost the exact same weight as the new TTC Flexity LRT vehicles. Both are a touch under 50 tonne. Yes, I'm being silly but there is no real difference between LRT and HRT anymore. Same size vehicles, same weights, similar capabilities, ...

Lagos uses the definition of Light Rail to mean that it primarily carries people. Heavy Rail carries goods (cars, gravel, oil, containers, ...). For their local definition of light rail, the Toronto subway and its cars are LRT. VIA would be heavy rail (primarily freight corridors) and I suspect GO would be HRT too as their equipment has additional engineering for freight collisions that the Toronto subway cars do not have.

Worth noting, Lagos plans on running 16 car trains at 3 minute frequencies on the Red Line in 2025: 300 * 16 * (60 / 3) = 96,000 pphpd.

Makes the Yonge line seem quaint.

Last edited:
SIXTEEN CARS?!? :eek:

Would that be a record? If not, it must be damn close, since the top end I can think of is 10 or 12.

Surprised me too. I was looking for why they called it LRT expecting to find 2-car trains or something.

They quite clearly describe each car as holding 300 passengers and a final 16-car train length of 352 meters in 2025. This document was created before they purchased the Toronto cars, which would be 370 meters for 16 cars so they may end up with a 14 car train or lengthening the platforms a bit extra.

http://www.lagosrail.com/_downloads/Lagos Red Line Project Briefing.pdf

Last edited:
5098-5099 were converted to OCS operation. They're not suitable for subway operation anymore.

The Gloucester cars are now in semi-permanent static display at Halton County's new indoor exhbition area, with a wireless connecting track to the museum's mainline. I doubt it will ever run even on their trackage again.

The highlights of HCRY's collection, which they run regularly, are the 1930s replica of an 1892 open streetcar, the London and Port Stanley interurban car, and a Peter Witt. (One of the restored non-historic interior PCCs also runs regularly, but that's not a big deal as the TTC puts out one of their fully-restored PCCs for public use now and then.) There's a few other cars in operating condition that they'll run from time to time.

It's a bit of a hike (40 minutes one-way by foot) but you can walk from the 31A GO bus at Highway 7/Eramosa-Milton Townline (not a posted stop, but it's a flag stop), or on a nice day, put a bike on the rack at Union Station and cycle there from Rockwood.

Last edited:
With red seats in the windows reflection. And I doubt the Nigerians would be riding the rocket which is still on that train!

Back