News   May 15, 2024
 864     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 857     1 

GTHA Regional Transit Amalgamation Discussion: Superlinx/Subway Upload

Yes. This is true as well. I'd never say our current system is adequate, just that people whining about how crowded a platform is or how they couldn't get on the first train because it was full have obviously never been to a "World Class City," where I've had that happen to me multiple times. NYC having a huge rapid transit system doesn't mean people can get on a train in midtown Manhattan at rush hour and expect a seat. The trains fill up heading south, just like they do here. But here everyone gets all, "It's not fair that I got on at Eglinton and couldn't get a seat!" It is fair. Because the system serves more than just you and you're in the middle of a long, crowded line.

And when the system gets huger, and the Crosstown opens, it'll probably get worse. It's a Catch 22, at best.
I do agree that Line 5 will only make crowding worse. That's not because expansion in general makes crowding worse, but adding more branch lines that feed an already overcrowded trunk line will. It to the misplaced priorities in this city and the inexplicable reluctance to building the third downtown subway line that was planned way back in the 60s.

They come out with these reports every now and then - nice reminders the rest of planet earth governs transit entirely differently the way we do and yet we persist with absurd local "arguments" about some anonymous Queen's Park bureaucrat being able to decide how often some local TTC bus runs.

As I'm sure I've said upthread, I think "uploading" the subway to the province would make sense as part of a larger plan or regionalization but doing it in this piecemeal manner is fairly meaningless. I support it at a superficial level without supporting the government's apparent motivations. It would be nice to think it could usher in some new age of cooperation and subsidization but mark this post because I expect we'll be back right here - reading some report from Neptis or Pembina or U of T or Ryerson or whomever, arguing that perhaps a regional transit system maybe kinda makes sense for the GTA, maybe - well before October 2021.

Back